The end is here...

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 115
    Whoa !!! Is it completely autonomous? Or some geek in the background with a RC transmitter ...
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 1,105
    Complete autonomy o_0
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 889
    Great concept for an exhibit....cool though.

I just can't buy into the notion of robots replacing humans...someone needs to put back into the economy, or there will be no economy.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,628
    You know...

I that were me... and some guy pushed my box away with a stick... and then he knocked it out of my grasp after I picked it up... and I was packin' hydraulics...

I think I would have reacted rather differently than did our autonomous robot colleague.
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

Well one would surmise that the 3 laws are in effect (for now).
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Well one would surmise that the 3 laws are in effect (for now).

Well, as I've heard pointed out -- Asimov's Laws were flawed sort of by definition -- else he wouldn't been able to get a book or was it three) out of 'em :)

Yeah, we're hosed.
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

I was a fan of his Norby series when I was younger.
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 4,557
    I'm going shotgun shopping tomorrow...
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Reduction & Crack w/Speedball
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,312
    I'd recommend picking up a magnetron/klystron, waveguide, and portable power pack off of Ebay. DIY instructions available on the Interwebs.

MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
    I like the robot's arm action at the end of the transaction in the video above :/

What ??? I ordered chocolate vanilla swirl !!! Let me talk to your manager !!!
  • obieoneobieone Posts: 5,035
    I'd recommend picking up a magnetron/klystron, waveguide, and portable power pack off of Ebay. DIY instructions available on the Interwebs.

SEIU want's $15.00/ hr. for people who work at fast food. They've already brought in ordering kiosks, these will be next behind the counter.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
    New GM Chevy Cruze EV autonomous
    sj1k256ftmoq.png
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,514
    No thanks, I want a steering wheel, gas and brake pedals.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,132
    F1nut wrote: »

...and a clutch. Well, maybe only like 5% of us do at this point.

If a self driving car gets into a situation where a death or injury is inevitable between the person or people in the car and another car or pedestrian how does it choose who gets the short end of the stick? Self driving cars will not happen on a mass scale in our lifetime or for several more, if ever. I've read predictions that by 2040 self driving cars will make up 75% of all traffic but I just don't see it happening. Who knows though.
    gmcman wrote: »
    I just can't buy into the notion of robots replacing humans...someone needs to put back into the economy, or there will be no economy.

Agreed. Is there a viable solution? I don't know, maybe that's why fully automated tellers aren't 100% behind the counter already because it would probably be cheaper from a business prospective a while ago. It's not like we're waiting for the tech to get cheaper.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 5,836

Why does the robot have a smiley face? Why does it need a face at all?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Now Carrying Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 28,041
    Nightfall wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

...and a clutch. Well, maybe only like 5% of us do at this point.

If a self driving car gets into a situation where a death or injury is inevitable between the person or people in the car and another car or pedestrian how does it choose who gets the short end of the stick? Self driving cars will not happen on a mass scale in our lifetime or for several more, if ever. I've read predictions that by 2040 self driving cars will make up 75% of all traffic but I just don't see it happening. Who knows though.
    gmcman wrote: »

Agreed. Is there a viable solution? I don't know, maybe that's why fully automated tellers aren't 100% behind the counter already because it would probably be cheaper from a business prospective a while ago. It's not like we're waiting for the tech to get cheaper.

I think auto makers will stop the driver-less idea once they get sued a few times over deaths. Before, the driver has the liability, you remove the driver and now the liability rests with the auto maker.....unless they lobby for government to remove that liability. Which then makes it stupid to get in one.
    ERA D-5
    B&K 1403
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    SVS SB-2000 SUB
    Sony 4k bdp
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    Wireworld eclipse 7 Ic's

Good question, I'm pretty sure....like maybe 110% sure, that the same human labels/complaints will follow the robot world.

Race
    Gender, of which we have many now
    Religious affiliation

ERA D-5
    B&K 1403
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    SVS SB-2000 SUB
    Sony 4k bdp
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    Wireworld eclipse 7 Ic's
  • decaldecal Posts: 2,945
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Because they know they are taking over!!!!!! :D
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
    Here's a thought (just brainstormin' here -- there are no wrong answers!)...

Let's give robots faces like...

Prof. Irwin Corey:

u4mljwlbdk9s.png

Bette Davis as Baby Jane:

rkwmtggkvldh.png

That would be interesting.

:)

• BlueMDPickerBlueMDPicker Old Polk Posts: 6,714
    D A M N! I never realized Betty was the Prof in drag. Thanks!

These robots, currently under development, would fit into modern society quite nicely.

ib4saqzdan04.jpg

An excellent suggestion.

Wait -- excellent -- was these guys, wasn't it?

rtwde7fzfcjt.png

oh, here's another option -- ain't brainstorming great? ;)

zn62cdrhtevt.png

I think that giving anthropomorphic robots visages like these will buy down anxiety about the Singularity immensely, don't you?

:|

• DerfDerf Posts: 119
    Former GM exec Bob Lutz says the feds will regulate away the cars we drive and allow only driverless transportation. Hope I’m long gone if/when that happens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/11/07/former-gm-vice-chairman-bob-lutz-self-driving-cars-will-take-over.html
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
    I'm reminded of the classic Rush song Red Barchetta ... As always Rush is forward looking.
    Derf wrote: »
    Former GM exec Bob Lutz says the feds will regulate away the cars we drive and allow only driverless transportation. Hope I’m long gone if/when that happens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/11/07/former-gm-vice-chairman-bob-lutz-self-driving-cars-will-take-over.html

I call B.S., Lutz is just trying to drive up interest in the product. They said the same for electric vehicles many moons ago. Similar to robots taking over humanity, scare tactics is what it amounts to. Better get ahead of the curve, sell your gas cars now while you can....and all that jazz. Yeah....riiiight.
    ERA D-5
    B&K 1403
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    SVS SB-2000 SUB
    Sony 4k bdp
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    Wireworld eclipse 7 Ic's
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,312
    Professor Irwin Corey. I remember watching him on the Tonight Show in the early 60's. What a hoot !
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
    Did you ever see the movie Car Wash?
    If not -- you should :)

Another irony with Mr Lutz. He has/had a company that takes the now defunct Fiskar Automotive electric cars and re-fits then with a GM High Performance V8's !!!
    https://jalopnik.com/bob-lutz-offers-fisker-karma-owners-some-v8-engines-1448628931
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,514
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Did you ever see the movie Car Wash?
    If not -- you should :)

Classic!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."