Old RCA record sleeve

Options
I'm in the process of running all my vinyl records through my ultrasonic cleaner. Came across several old sleeves that were entertaining and this is one of them. Hope you can read the print.ie12l5d0jwvl.jpg
6kpk0wejl7nb.jpg
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Yeah, I saw one of those too. I thought that was pretty neat.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited January 2018
    Options
    :)

I love the old sleeves.

As a not-completely-irrelevant aside: I only very recently learned and understood why "classic" mono cartridges are :)unfit for playing stereo records.

"Real" mono records were cut with modulation in only one plane, while "modern" stereo records are cut with vertical & horizontal modulation. Consequently, stereo cartridges have compliance in two dimensions, but there's no vertical compliance in a "true" (vintage) mono cartridge.

Playing a stereo record with a "real" mono cartridge (even if the latter is equipped with a proper "microgroove" stylus) is -- a bad idea. A very bad idea. :|

As a somewhat-less-relevant aside, starting sometime in the 1960s, mono masters started to be cut using stereo cutting heads - with a mono signal fed to both channels. These records are probably best not played on true mono cartridges, either.

Fortunately -- I think! -- most modern mono cartridges (e.g., Grados) are stereo cartridges in terms of construction, so they're OK for most anything -- but of course only "output" mono. :p

Whoda ever thunk mono could be so complicated?

:)

http://harryshifi.com/images/vinyl_tutorial.pdf
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    I have a Toscanini album from 1957 that has those sleeves. I think a few vintage Elvis pressings too. That Toscanini Beethoven box set has a little booklet that has the German lyrics to Schiller's "Ode To Joy", which I know by heart. :p

00i13lmnkahn.jpg
    rauxb0usrz4x.jpg