LSiM Home Theater Amp Advice

2»

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,766
    Biamping is critical for sq in a car but that's because it's a collection of drivers all over the car. You have different paths to the ear, different reflections, different distances - so much to fix. A home speaker is the collection of drivers with much less interaction and if well designed answers most of those issues you find in a car environment.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • Got it! Thanks. So I’ve decided to get either a 2 or 3 channel amp and call it a day based on all the feedback you guys have provided. Currently bidding on a Parasound HCA-2003 (200x3). Hopefully that pans out. If not, maybe I’ll just go for a 2 channel and let the rx-a2070 handle the 706 and 702’s.

I have to say, I really love this forum. Lots of knowledge from people willing to share it with a newbie like me.
    Running 5.1.4, Yamaha RX-A 2070, Parasound A31, Polk LSiM 707 (Fronts), Polk LSiM 706 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Surround), Polk TL3 (Atmos), HSU VTF-2 MK4, Epson 5030UB, Silver Ticket 110"
  • hlshurehlshure Posts: 48
    edited January 12
    So I didn't win the bid on HCA-2003 but it looks like I'll get an opportunity to demo a Parasound A21 this weekend. Found a local guy who has is own shop and consulting gig who offered to loan me an A21 for a week to see how I like it. I was really leaning towards a 3 channel but this will at least be a good test to see how much difference I notice with an amp and whether it will be worth the extra $$.

Any opinions on how much of a difference running the center on a dedicated amp vs. the yamaha 2070 would be considering the Yamaha would no longer need to run the L/R?
    Running 5.1.4, Yamaha RX-A 2070, Parasound A31, Polk LSiM 707 (Fronts), Polk LSiM 706 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Surround), Polk TL3 (Atmos), HSU VTF-2 MK4, Epson 5030UB, Silver Ticket 110"
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 5,439
    Find yourself a used Sunfire TGA 7401. The A21 will give you better stereo sound but the Sunfire is a beast and will make your HT the one your neighbors will talk about.
    HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A23 x2 Amps Parsound Halo A21 Amp & P5 Pre | Marantz AV7004 AV Pre | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's| Usher BE-616 Center|SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | HP Elite Slice PC |Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4 Pro

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node2 | Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | Marantz 2385 |

Bedroom Peactree Nova 125SE | Focal 905's | Bluesound Node | SVS SB2000 Sub

Garage Yamaha R-N303BL | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP2K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's |
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,874
    I use a TGA 7201, and love it
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    edited January 16
    So I’ve hooked up the A21, found a little more in the budget, and I can definitely tell that the amp opened up the speakers. Even my wife, who is not into this at all, commented on how it sounds more open. So my dilemma is whether to get the A21 or the Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-DR3, both of which are less than the A21 and have 3 channels instead of 2. I haven’t heard an Emotiva amp and understand from many on this forum that they can be bright. I find the LSiM’s to be pretty laid back so I don’t think I would mind if they were a touch brighter since the majority of my system is used for HT. I’ve also added in 4 Atmos speakers (Polk TL3’s) so I’m now running 5.1.4. By the way, besides power, does anyone know what the difference is between the XPA-3 and XPA-DR3 is?

@Mikey081057 @txcoastal1
    Thanks for the recommendation. Checked into those Sunfire amps. They look great but I don’t think I need a 7 channel amp when I have the 2070 that can handle my surrounds and atmos. Plus, I couldn’t find any used.
    One option your dealer should mention is the A52+. This will be 180 WPC and 5 channels, meaning you could leave your amp to handle the atmos channels. The A52+ will retail at $3,000. If you are considering the A21, then the A52+ might be a better solution.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    DSkip wrote: »
    One option your dealer should mention is the A52+. This will be 180 WPC and 5 channels, meaning you could leave your amp to handle the atmos channels. The A52+ will retail at $3,000. If you are considering the A21, then the A52+ might be a better solution.

Thanks @DSkip. That looks like a great amp from the bit of information I was able to find. Is the A52+ out yet? I don’t see it on the Parasound site.
    Not yet. I tried to get one for a client recently and they told me they are a bit delayed on the release. It hopefully will be out early this quarter.
    audiothesis.com/

edited January 16
    @DSkip - I appreciate the suggestion. Maybe I’ll wait then as see when they come out, assuming I can hold out because I’ve been bitten pretty hard! Lol.
    edited January 17
    That didn’t take long...couldn't hold out! :smiley:
    I just pulled the trigger on a Parasound A31. Couldn’t pass up the deal. $1975 before tax. Excited!! Should have it within 2 weeks. I’ll post my thoughts as soon as I've had a chance to put it through it’s paces. Now for RCA interconnects. Any suggestions? Not looking to spend a ton but I don’t want crap cables either. One recommendation so far are Blue Jean Cables (thanks @cfrizz )
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,188
    That's a BEAST! Nothing more to say.......
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    edited January 27
    Well, I finally received it. Got my A31 hooked up and I’m starting the break in process. Now I’m off to find a rack to fit it all as my bookshelf no longer works. Lol! Thinking VTI BL404 with cherry shelves and black caps (photo below)
    but the search is still on. Here’s a couple of photos. Nothing fancy yet just the amp. Don’t judge, it and the Yamaha are on the floor until I get the rack. Can’t wait to have it all tidy and looking good! Oh, and the cables I got are Analysis Plus Oval One interconnects.
    t9utywgqyrxh.jpeg
    b13gywffq6jf.jpeg
    d8r8b1cv1c5j.jpeg

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,509
    edited January 27
    Nice, that's actually the exact same rack that I am considering. You might inquire with @helipilotdoug over at http://www.douglasconnection.com as I believe he carries VTI and offers a slight discount for Club Polk members.
    hlshure wrote: »
    Well, I finally received it. Got my A31 hooked up and I’m starting the break in process. Now I’m off to find a rack to fit it all as my bookshelf no longer works. Lol! Thinking VTI BL404 with cherry shelves and black caps (photo below)

Got Dayens?
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,440
    DO NOT operate those while sitting on carpet. They cool by convection, carpet will hinder air flow. Get a piece of wood or something under them.

Nice setup by the way
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk T15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
    mrloren wrote: »
    DO NOT operate those while sitting on carpet. They cool by convection, carpet will hinder air flow. Get a piece of wood or something under them.

Nice setup by the way

Thanks! I’ll get a piece of wood under them today.

Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice, that's actually the exact same rack that I am considering. You might inquire with @helipilotdoug over at http://www.douglasconnection.com as I believe he carries VTI and offers a slight discount for Club Polk members.

I’ll check that out. I have a dealer here locally (SoCal) who quoted me $325 for the stand which I thought was a pretty good price.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,004
    Congrats, you are going to be one happy camper!

I love my VTI rack, nice and solid, and since I got it with wheels it's very easy to move when I need to get in the back.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • EarthyEarthy Posts: 484
    I am still moving stuff around and have a lot of wire to get behind the walls. Forgive the mess, but see my A51 I got from DSkip and the same rack in different color. I put felt pads on the legs of mine and can slide it with a little effort. 8cbboe3ljrrv.jpg
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

Earthy wrote: »
    I am still moving stuff around and have a lot of wire to get behind the walls. Forgive the mess, but see my A51 I got from DSkip and the same rack in different color. I put felt pads on the legs of mine and can slide it with a little effort. 8cbboe3ljrrv.jpg

Nice setup! Once I get the rack I have to tackle my nest of cables and wires. Learning all about the do’s and dont’s of cable management. Lol.
    Those halo units are so damn nice in black. Congrats gents.
    audiothesis.com/

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,195
    I put felt pads on the legs of mine and can slide it with a little effort.

That defeats the purpose of channeling vibrations from the rack to the ground.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

DSkip wrote: »
    Those halo units are so damn nice in black. Congrats gents.

Thanks Skip!

edited January 28
    F1nut wrote: »

Am I missing something technical there, or are you making a funny joke? It seems it would keep the floor vibrations from causing the rack to vibrate. I am on a second floor not far from a 24ft steel beam over a 32x24 three car garage.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,440

I’ll check that out. I have a dealer here locally (SoCal) who quoted me $325 for the stand which I thought was a pretty good price.

I can make you a rack if you want. Wouldn't be as elegant as the one you looking at but I am getting better at woodwork. PM me if you're interested.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk T15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,188
    edited January 28
    Earthy wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Am I missing something technical there, or are you making a funny joke? It seems it would keep the floor vibrations from causing the rack to vibrate. I am on a second floor not far from a 24ft steel beam over a 32x24 three car garage.
    This is what F1 is talking about:

Spikes are one of the most economical and best methods of isolating audio equipment from the surroundings.

Here’s the physics:

Electrical currents in analogue equipment and speaker cabinets create unwanted micro vibrations inside them. Apart from these, the driver of each speaker dissipates energy in the form of vibrations that are also carried to the cabinet walls causing ringing. These internal vibrations are infact the bad actors polluting the music signal. Hence standard isolating devices like springs, rubber feet, sand, magnetic suspensions, or air bladders don’t help. These products trap the vibrations inside the component instead of draining them, exacerbating muddying of the signals, especially in the bass frequencies.(known as bass bloom)

By design, spikes do the opposite. Rigid and massive, they lock the component to the shelf below using single-point contact. The spike infact acts like a “diode” (i.e allows or drains vibrations from your equipment to the rack but does not allow vibrations from the rack to reach the equipment). It transmits waves and vibrations only downwards through the point and perpendicular to the equipment Thus becoming the most efficient way of isolating.

Experiments also show that the wrong footer material (or too little mass, or the wrong shape) can reflect distorted vibrations back into the equipment. That’s why improperly designed footers can yield sound that is dulled and lifeless or piercing and shrill.

Brass and Stainless Steel Alloys are by far the best: much more dynamic, vibrantly warm and more detailed.

We normally offer unattached spikes in sets of 3. Using four unattached footers requires leveling of one to compensate for the inevitable slight unevenness of the surface below. Using three requires no compensation and there’s no sonic advantage to using four. In case of very narrow tower speakers though, we recommend four only to add stability.

By correct utilization of a spike one is sure to dramatically improve clarity, stereo imaging and tighten up the bass response.

Music will sound strikingly more live and more gripping. Bass sounds deeper and more articulated,. Drums are crisper; cymbals sound brassier and ring more brilliantly.

Spikes are particularly effective on Hollow furniture racks and cabinets, and flooring with thick carpets and hence are a “must have”

Other reading
    http://www.symposiumusa.com/tech1.html
    http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/speaker-spikes-and-cones-2013-what2019s-the-point

Do what works for you in terms of sound and function. If one does not want to spike direct to the floor, there are spike feet available.

Spike-Feet-with-IsoPad.png
    Post edited by WLDock on
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • stangman67stangman67 Posts: 780
    The VTI racks are very nice. I have the BL503 in black and silver accents. Love it and the price is very reasonable
    2 Channel
    BlueSound Node 2 Streaming Tidal I Marantz SA8005 I Music Hall MMF7.3 I Lounge Audio LCR Mk III I Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 I B&K Ref 200.2 I Focal Aria 926 I Wireworld Eclipse 7 IC's I Acoustic Zen Satori SC I Pangea AC14SE MkII/PS Audio AC-3 Power Cables

Living Room HT
    Sony XBR65X930E I Marantz NR-1608 I Q Acoustics 2020i I Q Acoustics 3090c I FXI-A4's I DIY 15" Dayton SW

I have spikes and feet but it would make the entire rack just a bit too tall. I'll live with any minute vibration. We are usually watching action movies and doubt we would notice anything. Thanks for the read though. I think my discerning listening years are behind me with constant tinnitus.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Onkyo TX-NR808

mrloren wrote: »

I can make you a rack if you want. Wouldn't be as elegant as the one you looking at but I am getting better at woodwork. PM me if you're interested.

I appreciate the offer but I have the wife to consider since my setup is in our living room! Lol. I finally found the VTI which she thought was decent. Not sure I have the energy to go through all that again! Hahaha :smile:
2»