SDA 2B crossover build considerations

hauxon
hauxon Posts: 161
edited January 2018 in Vintage Speakers
I'm trying to put together a shopping list for my 2B crossover build. I would be thankful if some of you would read over my list and let me know if there is something missing or wrong. :)

Prices are in british pounds and from www.hificollective.co.uk

Gimpod boards and connectors
Polyswitch - jump it (or 0.5 resitor haven't decided)
TL mod - 2x 12uF 250V Claritycap CSA - £16.17 (ESA 0 since I alreade have em)
2.7 Ohm resistor. 2x 2R7 Duelund CAST Resistors - £50 (£29 standard)
750pf Silver Mica bypass Capacitor. - Not needed??
12uf Polyester Film Capacitor. 2x 12uF 250V Claritycap CSA - £26.96 (£18.88 ESA)
20uf Electrolytic Capacitor. - 12x 10uF 250V ClarityCap CSA - £150.48 (105.36 ESA)
0.4mh Inductor. - 2x 000-1489 0.4mH Jantzen Air Core Wire Coil AWG22 - £3.22
1.25mh Inductor. - 2x 000-1137 1.25mH Jantzen Air Core Wire Coil AWG20 - £6.58
2.50mh Inductor. - 2x 000-1695 2.5mH Jantzen Air Core Wire coil AWG20 - £9.8
16mh Inductor. - 2x 000-6577 16mH Jantzen C-Coil, 14AWG - £110.94 (£51.22 000-0873 air coil)
Total CSA: £374.15 / $499 (not including gimpods)
Total ESA/Standard Duelund/16mH air/ reuse 5.6 uF caps: £224.06 / $299

18uF+22uf on dimensional array + 4x 10uF (instead of 12x 10uF)
CSA £349.03 / $465
ESA: £206.46 / $275

And now some questions.

1. The dimensional array originally has two 20uF caps making a total of 40uF. Am I right assuming I can use a 18+22 rather than 4x10F?

2. The 750pf Silver Mica bypass Capacitor is not needed?

3. The original plan was to use ClarityCap ESA but I've started thinking that I should maybe use the new CSA. Any thoughts on this? Any sense in mixing 'em? Where would it be the most beneficial to add higher quality caps?

4. Does anyone have opinion on Duelund standard resistor vs Duelund Cast?

5. In general would it be worth spending the extra $150 for the better components?

Hope I'm not annoying ppl with too many threads!

Hrannar
SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint

Comments

• hauxon
    TL Mod should bhave been 2x 5.6uF ...just a typo.
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    The CSAs are essentially ESAs with an improved connection between the electrodes and the leads. http://www.claritycap.co.uk/products/csa.php
    Clarity makes a 39uf which is well within tolerance for the 40uf, but the 18 + 22 will also work.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • hauxon
    Thanks for the reply westmassguy. I might just go with the 39uF cap then. I already have ESA 5.6uF caps at hand that I bought for the TL mod. Do you think I should buy the CSA version of the 5.6uF if I go the CSA route or are they sonically close enough so I could use my ESA caps with the CSA?

I actually started doing the TL mod tonight on the original crossover. Left speaker almost done. :)
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Save your money, and use the ESAs
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • hauxon
    Just listened to the speakers after doing the TL mod. I used the ClarityCap ESA 5.6uF I had and cut off and jumped the polyswitch. I left the 750pF in place since I kept the old caps (for now).

The difference is quite obvious, I thought it would be more subtle. I can hear great difference right away with cymbals, a ride cymbal is less bright and more subtle/soft. Stereo imaging also seems improved. All listening was done at moderate/low levels since the family is asleep. Will have to listen more in the over the weekend. First impression is positive. :smiley:

I might post some pictures tomorrow.
  • hauxon
    I might just use the original crossover boards and keep the original inductors too. Since Claritycap has a 39uF resistor it might not be that hard to fit the caps. HifiCollecti e don't carry Mills so 29 pouns for Duelunds is lrobably less than ordering Mills from the US with shipping.
  • hauxon
    My SDA 2B Studio's ready for surgery.
    hxsxx4rt2oin.jpg

Here's the unmodded crossover. The crossover board is mounted to the inductor with those white pins/clips. It's easier to loosen them on the inductor side.
    82ghclooyr8y.jpg

I has some trouble with loosening the inductor since the not on the inside did turn with the bolt. Ended up removing the XO board from the inside to be able to hold the nut while turning the bolt. Probably the most time consuming part of the TL job.
    ttm39j8h1abc.jpg

Here are the RD0-198 and the SL2000. I find the older one looks nicer and has better quality plastics in the frame. ..but who cares!! :smile: You can connect the black wire to the smaller plug on the tweeter (+) and the white (-) needs to be connected to the larger plug.
    mqze5bnospws.jpg

The 5.6uF cap in it's place. I read somewhere here one the forum that the cap should be soldered into the top cap hole and hole labelled H. Hole H was however covered with glue from the inductor so I found another hole that seemed right.
    cbk3edufvycc.jpg

The solder points seen from the back.
    2z01e8j26brk.jpg

I snipped the top off thepolyswitch and folded the legs together and soldered to make a jumper.
    if3t4vwjn53q.jpg

The TL mod finished. Next up recapping!
    khvnj5wipgjy.jpg

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Curious if the DCR on those new 198s is 5.5 ohm?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • hauxon
    edited January 2018
    xschop wrote: »
    Curious if the DCR on those new 198s is 5.5 ohm?

I read 5.6 ohms somewhere.

Here: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/73470/change-in-resistance-with-polyswitch-removal
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Looking good - I love my 2bTL's!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    I only have 2b's...Booo Hooooo.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    OH, and nice work !
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2018
    Didn't read the whole thread, but I highly recommend buying the Duelund Cast resistors instead of the "regular" Duelunds. They are absolutely worth the little extra money they cost. Nevermind, if you already purchased the "regular" Duelunds.

Edit: I just now noticed your number 4 point in your OP. YES, my opinion is you buy the cast. The clarity and detail difference is very apparent between the brown colored Duelunds and the Cast (black) colored ones.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee