Amplifier choice

Rafa1478
Rafa1478 Posts: 7
edited January 2018 in Speakers
Hi there, Id like some help choosing an amp.
I currently have an Onkyo TXNR818 powering 2 Rti A9s, 1 CSi A6, ant 2 Fxi A6.
THE Onkyo is capable of delivering 135wpc, all channels driven.
I'm currently looking at 2 amps, The Emotiva XPA5 GEN3 and the XPA-DR2.
My dilemma is this..
If I get the xpa5 I'll get 250wpc, all channels driven and 300wpc, 2 channels driven. cost is $1599.00.
If I get the XPA-DR2, I'll get 550wpc for the A9s and I can use the Onkyo for the other 3 channels. Cost is $1599 as well or $1999 for the XPA-DR3.

I'd like to hear some of your opinions please, What would you do?

PS: there is also the option of the XPA-DR3 which will give me 450wpc to power the 3 front channels but I'm afraid I'll blow the CSi A6, is this a valid concern?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Sorry, you're not reading the specs correctly. Even though it says all channels, it's still 135 wpc, 2 channels driven.

135 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

As for the amps, no comment.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    I use an Integra 7.9 that I use as a pre/pro and for the rear and center amps. I even Biamp the fronts with a mix of tubes and SS. The Audyssey dialed it right in. I suggest that if you use separate amps for the front and rears, that they also have attenuators/volume pots. It makes the system much more versatile on a whim.

FWIW- I love the Integra. I was using a Krell Showcase pre/pro and a 3ch B&K for the center and rears. The DAC in the Krell excelled and the Integra couldn't tickle my fancy so a added a stereo DAC and couldn't be happier.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Thanks for the input.
    Is there something I don’t know and should know about Emotiva? I’ve only read good things but on here I’ve seen mixed opinions. I’m confused.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    There is a hardcore set of haters on here of anything by Emotiva. But there are members on here that use them, and are content to keep them.

Make your decision based on what you want to achieve, and can afford. If it it's an Emotiva you want, then get it and decide for yourself if it achieves your goals.

Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • I’d still like an opinion on my original post, hope someone chimes in.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2018
    A 200 watt per channel amp for the A9's will be fine. The reason some of us don't like Emotiva amps is because of the pairing with speakers people may choose. Emo amps can be a bit bright on the top end, while RTIA speakers can also be a bit bright. Add them together and you may get fatigue listening to that combo very shortly. Some like a brighter sound, some don't. Pick which you prefer. Personally, I'd find a warmer amp to offset the brightness of the A9's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    I find the new gen3 Emotiva Amps to be less bright then their earlier offerings. I have been trying a Gen3 5 channel for a few weeks and it is a better fit over the gen2 I have. I will most likely keep it so I can fund my new subs too.
    The new DR amps will give the 9’s all they can handle but they seem to be more then I will need. The Gen 3 is really enough. I am also running 4 A9’s in my system and the gen3 has lots of headroom.
    I have also heard another forum members system with a Parasound and A9’s and I feel it was awesome. I would do a A51 Halo if money is not tight.
    I say give them a shot you can return it if not happy.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • I’m glad I asked. That makes a lot of sense to me.
    I do prefer a warmer sound but I hadn’t even considered it.
    Thank you.
  • I’m in Brampton (Toronto )
  • You are in Canada, consider Anthem. Canadian manufacturer, great product.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • I’ve thought about driving across the border, it’s not far and I might save some money. I just have to find a good place in Buffalo or the Niagara area
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Rafa1478 wrote: »
    I’ve thought about driving across the border, it’s not far and I might save some money. I just have to find a good place in Buffalo or the Niagara area

Just don't get yourself involved in any international incidents.

;)
  • tonyb
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you go with Parasound you will likely have to go used. Unfortunately Parasound does not sell their wares in Canada.

No, but used amps can be found if you cruise local Hi-fi shops online. Usually they have inventory of trade ins, check their online websites for a drop down menu of used or demo gear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Rafa1478 wrote: »
    I’m glad I asked. That makes a lot of sense to me.
    I do prefer a warmer sound but I hadn’t even considered it.
    Thank you.

Don't accuse me of making sense, I have a street rep to keep ya know. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's