CD/SA-CD Players

2»

Comments

• cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,724
    The S60's are excellent multipurpose speakers, I love mine. It took me 27 years to upgrade my front speakers, I had to wait until Polk finally made a pair of good looking multipurpose speakers that didn't break my wallet or my back!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 904
    Glad we could be of help! You are going to love that Marantz, it'll be a night and day difference from your Sony!

Prepare to be blown away!
    dr1978 wrote: »
    ended up settling on a Marantz SR5011 from A4L. That should arrive sometime tomorrow. Thanks to Skip and Clipdat for helping point me in the right direction.

NAD C 316BEE, Marantz cd6004, Rotel RCD-1072, Sony SCD-CE595, Polk Audio LSiM 703
  • delkaldelkal Posts: 78
    I would look on the used market for a top of the line (at its time) player that is now "obsolete". I am sure some will disagree but the technology to play a CD is decades old. An older top of the line CD player will get all of the "sound" out there is.

Search Redbook.

I have a used Sony 9000ES CD/SACD/DVD player. It was an excellent player at the time, cost $1500 when introduced, and weighs about 50 lbs. The problem is it is obsolete now because it will not play 1080p DVDs and does not have the flavor of the month DVD decoder or connects.

You should be able to find one on Ebay / Craigslist for about $200. I personally think it will hold its own with many of the new $1000 players (for CDs)
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,502
    edited December 2017
    It should be noted that the Sony 9000ES is infamous for it's laser problems. Hence, the dirt cheap prices and not because it won't play certain formats.

I also disagree that all older top of the line CD players will get all of the "sound" out there is. Some will and some won't.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,519
    delkal wrote: »
    I would look on the used market for a top of the line (at its time) player that is now "obsolete". I am sure some will disagree but the technology to play a CD is decades old. An older top of the line CD player will get all of the "sound" out there is.

Search Redbook.

I have a used Sony 9000ES CD/SACD/DVD player. It was an excellent player at the time, cost $1500 when introduced, and weighs about 50 lbs. The problem is it is obsolete now because it will not play 1080p DVDs and does not have the flavor of the month DVD decoder or connects.

You should be able to find one on Ebay / Craigslist for about $200. I personally think it will hold its own with many of the new $1000 players (for CDs)

I had the 9000ES and a 7100ES AVR. You can connect the two digitally via Sony’s proprietary Ilink cable, and let the AVR decode SACDs to play. This saved 5 analog cables between the SACD player and the AVR. Yes, it did sound very good, and I am sure a lot of people would be happy with it.

However, like everything else, there are newer and better players, transports, and DACs now available, but they also cost more.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • delkaldelkal Posts: 78
    edited December 2017
    F1nut wrote: »
    It should be noted that the Sony 9000ES is infamous for it's laser problems. Hence, the dirt cheap prices and not because it won't play certain formats.

You pay your money and you take your chances with used equipment. But I am 2 years into my $220 investment and everything is OK so far (knock on wood). Everything after this is gravy.

Luckily the 9000 replacement CD laser mechanism is still readily obtainable and cheap so fixing one should be easy. But in the future this is always an issue with any player. There are some older mid 80's Redbook CD players that have a cult following and they quickly sell for $500-1000. Some people just love the sound of these original players. Unfortunately replacement lasers have been gone for years and when the laser finally dies you have an expensive doorstop.

• dr1978dr1978 Posts: 37
    Welp, I'm a ways off from being able to afford a quality player, so I'm very happy that a noticed a 7 buck entry level SA-CD player at Goodwill for 7 bucks! Sony DVP-NC875V. Five disc carousel, can also be used as a dvd player. Reading the reviews, the audio side outperforms the video side, which is aok for me. I'm sure this would be considered junk to some, but it's better than nothin.
    Marantz SR5011, Polk S20 Main Speakers, Polk S35 Center, Polk RM8 Surround, Polk PSW450 Subwoofer, Audio Technica AT-LP60 Turntable, Sony DVP-NC875V SACD/CD Player
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 904
    Nice find. I have a Sony SACD changer as well.

Let us know your listening impressions after you get some time on it.
    dr1978 wrote: »
    Welp, I'm a ways off from being able to afford a quality player, so I'm very happy that a noticed a 7 buck entry level SA-CD player at Goodwill for 7 bucks! Sony DVP-NC875V. Five disc carousel, can also be used as a dvd player. Reading the reviews, the audio side outperforms the video side, which is aok for me. I'm sure this would be considered junk to some, but it's better than nothin.

NAD C 316BEE, Marantz cd6004, Rotel RCD-1072, Sony SCD-CE595, Polk Audio LSiM 703
  • dr1978dr1978 Posts: 37
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice find. I have a Sony SACD changer as well.

Let us know your listening impressions after you get some time on it.

Early returns are positive, but that might be mostly due to getting to hear CD's that I haven't played in years on my new system! But cosmetically it's in great shape and the sound is good to my ears. I'm probably not going to go too crazy with buying new SACD's, but I'll look to get ahold of one so I can try that out.

Adding this new component caused me to dive a little deeper into the setup of my Marantz. I had been disappointed with the low volume coming from my record player, but I just noticed that I could bump up the level on individual inputs. I increased that one by 5db and it's made a huge difference. Overall the Marantz has been great. Clarity is much improved, and it's much easier to listen to than the Sony. I found myself cranking the volume up on my old receiver in order to try to get detail, but it ended up just fatiguing my ears. Definitely seeing a big difference in that area.
    Marantz SR5011, Polk S20 Main Speakers, Polk S35 Center, Polk RM8 Surround, Polk PSW450 Subwoofer, Audio Technica AT-LP60 Turntable, Sony DVP-NC875V SACD/CD Player
2»