Knosti Disco Antistat?

msg
msg Posts: 9,306
Any of you vinyl guys have any experience with the Knosti Disco Antistat?
It's a bit like the Spin Clean, but uses brushes instead of felt pads?
Also has a "clamp" to help seal the label. Small drying rack. Looks like a neat kit.

iunzxtk156am.jpg

edrotzlrl536.jpg
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Buy it and take it for a spin.
    It only costs money...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Like the idea of the brushes instead of the pads. Might be worth a try.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited January 2018
    Looks like a better Idea than the Spin Clean, what's it cost?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You'd think the brushes would be better to get in the grooves, no ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking re: the brushes.
    Casually reading some reviews and other forum posts.

Oddly having a hard time actually finding a place in the US that sells them. So far, I've seen them on turntableneedles.com, which seems to be out of Oregon. Looks like around $70, and they're importing them from Germany without the cleaning solution to avoid the chemical import hassle, apparently.

Knosti Disco Antistat Record Washer System
    an22bfqbd5vd.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    Reviews I've seen for the most part state it works well but you need to change fluid after every 5 records or so. Makes sense, the crud from a dirty record is going to be suspended in the small tank. In my 6 litre ultrasonic tank I can only get about 15 records cleaned w/o filtering or changing the water(depending how dirty the first15 were).

I guess if you make your own cleaning solution it may be worth a shot?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • msg
    edited January 2018
    That makes sense.
    I read somewhere at some point that they also recommend using coffee filters for the cleaning solution if you're re-using it in between cleanings.

Re: the Ultrasonic, how did you know the water needed changing?
    I disabled signatures.
  • muncybob
    I will filter the water thru a large coffee filter 1 time. I do this when I notice some crud accumulated in the bottom of the tank. Depending on the condition of the records already cleaned this will be 15 to 30 records later.

After filtering the crud is gone but the water is not as clear as a fresh batch so I'm assuming there is stuff suspended in the water. I will make a fresh solution after that filtered batch so I'm making new solution every 30 to 45 records. With proper care I figure I'll be going a long time before having to wet wash again.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • msg
    This is a good report, Bob, as I've noticed this as well with the Ultrasonic method. I notice that the cleaning solution seems cloudy.

I've also noticed the "sludge" at the bottom of the tank that requires cleaning with a shop towel or cloth after draining the tank. Makes me wonder what that stuff is. It's obviously "oily/sticky" enough to adhere to the bottom of the tank.
    I disabled signatures.
  • muncybob
    perhaps tergitol that never fully dissolved?
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I've got the older version of the Knosti (bought from a friend), and it works well. The bottle of cleaning solution was long gone with mine, so I make my own DIY cleaning solution cocktail.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • msg
    Not sure on the dissolving; I staged it - dissolved in alcohol before adding to the distilled water. I don't remember it looking cloudy before.

Good info jdj - what's your recipe?
    Do you use anything else for cleaning along with the Knosti? or simply the Knosti wash and air dry method?
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I always do a pre-cleaning on 'new-to-me' records coming into the house with a handheld pad-brush and few drops of cleaning solution. I feel safe playing them after that. To justify getting the Knosti out, I have to commit to cleaning at least a dozen records, and all of them would have *probably* already received a pre-cleaning by then. If I get a box set of classical records that look to have never been played, I might not pre-clean them before using the Knosti.

The cleaning solution reservoir holds a liter of liquid, and here's how I fill it:
    60ml isopropyl alcohol (although denatured alcohol is my new friend)
    5ml Triton X-100 (basically same as Tergitol)
    1ml Kodak Photo-Flo
    Remainder - distilled water

After cleaning and drying (I give a quick wipe with microfiber, and then put the records in the drying rack and have a small fan blow on them), I clean the reservoir (and brushes) out thoroughly, refill with only distilled water, and then do a rinse cycle with the records.

I've never noticed any crud in the bottom of the reservoir, nor any significant cloudiness in the leftover solution. This may be because I do a pre-cleaning, and I religiously brush records before playing every time, so depending on timing, records washed in the Knosti may have been brushed/cleaned a few times already.

I was lucky in the kit I bought, in that the previous owner had purchased two extra label clamps, and an extra drying rack. This allows me to clean about 16 records at a time.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    It looks a lot like the Vinyl Styl Deep Groove cleaner. I have one and like it, but the clamp is mighty inconvenient.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • msg
    jdj - sounds like a good process

gidrah - ah, yes, I'm remembering now. It was the Vinyl Styl that led me to the Knosti. I happened across a "vocal review" on Amazon where the person was saying the VS came from the Knosti design. Good heads up posting with this.

It seems to me that one of the biggest benefits of the VS over the Knosti is that the brushes are removable on the VS. And replaceable. My understanding is that the brushes aren't removable or replaceable on the Knosti.

Personally, I'd want to be able to pull the brushes out for cleaning and drying.
    Replacement brushes - goat hair - are around $11.

I'm also reading that with either design, one should not rely wholly on the record clamp to keep the labels completely dry. No biggie there.

L'Art du Son is also coming up in my reading as a recommended, superior cleaning agent. Personally never used it, trying only the VPI solution and diy similar to jdj's, but am intrigued by the (pricey) L'Art du Son, as some seem to imply that it can do what other solutions can't.

I'd probably try the Vinyl Styl unit for the easy Amazon return option if it proves defective. One reviewer mentioned that the brushes were loose and came out too easily. Being thin metal bound, I wouldn't want this happening. Maybe this is why the Knosti brushes don't come out? gidrah, can you comment on the security of the brushes, and ease of insertion and removal? Are the oe ones goat hair, as the replacements are?

For either system, with the complaints I'm seeing in solution recovery, a turkey baster is a recommended tip I happened across.

The reservoir seems to hold such a small amount of fluid, I'm not sure it would be a problem to only get 15-25 records cleaned before having to replace it. The ultrasonic holds 6L (~1.6gal) of cleaning solution, and even with a drain valve and tube, I've found it a pain getting the fluid recovered and filtered. Mixed in this quantity, it's a lot more expensive if you're doing frequent changes. One of these little dual-sided goat hair spinny cleaners with a vac finishing step is intriguing.

Vinyl Styl Deep Groove Record Washer System; $70
    du61l0w5nyke.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited January 2018
    Here's a link to the L'Art Du Son solution.
    Recommended use with vacuum units, but if not, they just say to use a distilled rinse after. I'd follow those rinse instructions, too, as there was a guy over on Steve Hoffman who reported that it ate through a cheap milk jug he was storing it in. Who knows what the story was there; could've had a pinhole in it.

L'Art Du Son Record Cleaning Fluid; $45
    q1izwf95rb2a.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Here's what MusicDirect says:
    The premiere product from L'Art du Son is a new and revolutionary Record cleaning solution developed after years of research by founder and analogue devotee Martina Schoener.

What you’ll hear:
    • Dramatic increase in dynamic contrasts from LP playback
    • Improved bass response from LP playback
    • Vast improvement in overall soundstage clarity from LP playback
    • Increased stage depth and sense of musical ease from LP playback
    • Substantial reduction in LP noise floor, improved clarity and instrument definition
    Concentrate makes up to 5 liters of cleaning fluid when added to distilled water.
    Contains NO alcohol (Alcohol can damage LP's!) Increases LP longevity
    Uses environmentally friendly formula components
    I disabled signatures.