Polk Audio Command Bar - Official Discussion

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2018
    I thought that they started life as an on-line bookseller.
    (regular old paper books, that is, sold on line as opposed to from a storefront)
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    When I first saw the Echo/Alexa advertised I thought it was silly and not something I would be interested in. Then we got one as a gift and we love it. We use it for timers, reminders, shopping lists, turning on/off Philips Hue lights, background music in the kitchen etc... Integration into a sound bar is not something I am personally interested in but I would be interested in a nice sounding Polk speaker in the kitchen that had Alexa integration. If Polk wants to make a profit they need to make products that are selling, and right now sound bars and Alexa products are selling big time. I think this is a wise move by Polk.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    xschop wrote: »
    I thought if I am too absent minded to remember buying toilet paper, then maybe someone should be wiping my a$$.

Isn't that what you get a dog for?
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I'm surprised that Polk has yet to put out a true "high end" soundbar. I know, it's an oxymoron to some, but there are some nice $1-2k soundbar systems out there from Samsung and Bose. I'd love to compare the $599 MagniFi Max SR to the $1,699 Bose SoundTouch 300. The Bose may be overpriced, but it does its job very well.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    An "oxymoron" is some dumb-a$$ that O.D.'s on oxycontin.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Ken, I already talked to Ken at CS about a troubleshooting guide for soundbars to be placed on the forum. This will give customers a quicker solution and free up the phone lines a bit for the CS people.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Not to be a corporate brown noser, which I normally am far from in most cases, but why would Polk want to keep a thread up which criticized its products? I didnt read the whole thread, and I realize some of this technology is ultimately aimed at generating revenue....but the old saying goes if you dont have something nice to say....
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited January 2018
    Soundbars are a strong market in general. Most people (no one here on this forum) are wanting smaller more compact units that integrate with other things better.

I am NOT the market segment for this, however someone like my brother and sister are SMACK IN THE MIDDLE of it.

They already use the Kinect for their Xbox One, or remote for their Roku to switch channels, etct. So moving to an Alexa type product is easy. And for us dinosaurs, its going to only keep going this way.

Ease of use in a small form factor is what people are buying in mass waves, so give the consumer what they want. WE just aren't that consumer :smile:. Just look at the headphone market. Its exploded. Same with streaming services. All these items to some extent compress/degrade the audio/video experience (Netflix, Spotify, Hulu, Amazon, etc) but they make it EASIER to do, so folks go with it

Heck my wife wants a couple Echo Dots and some of the lightbulbs to be able to turn them off and on, plus tie into our Nest. I however have concerns about big brother/hackers using them as a bug in the house (which ironically you installed for them so they dont even have to sneak in to hide it). *puts tinfoil hat back on*
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    If deleting threads because of product criticism was the norm, every subwoofer and soundbar thread would be gone already.

Maybe with these new tax laws, corporations will put some more coin into R&D and come out with better products. More coin in the consumer pockets means they too can afford to look at other options that might be better quality or higher priced.

As far as incorporating Alexa into soundbars.....not something I would be interested in but some might be. No need for either as a stand alone product let alone together. Plus as Dan noted, having a device that listens to everything and can possibly be shared with government agencies isn't something that makes me say "gotta have it".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The whole “my device is spying on me” thing is really overblown. Alexa uses a wake word to activate and listens for a command or question then returns to passive mode. Don’t use a wake word and it won’t do anything. Other than when it is activated it is not transmitting voice back to the mothership. AI devices like this are used for marketing purposes though. However, anybody who has ever done online shopping, browsed a website, carried a smart phone, paid a utility bill, or used a loyalty card in a grocery store has contributed to the “big data” warehouses used by marketers. Also, if someone is accused of committing felonies inside their home, chances are the authorities would seize computers and phone logs. Alexa commands to turn off lights or play a song by Molly Hatchet would be the least of a criminal’s worries.

Here is a useful article:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-11/is-alexa-really-eavesdropping-on-you-jb25c6vc

• mhardy6647
    Gedankenexperiment -- would there be a market for a high end "audiophile" loudspeaker with DSP and Alexa?

McIntosh is certainly actively making the jump to a focus on luxury lifestyle products under their current ownership.

Sort of like the top-line b&o loudspeakers, but at a (considerably) lower price point but still featuring unassailable audio quality and at least a nod towards
    the modern perception of "innovative technology" (smart speakers)?

Fairly low volume product but with good gross margins.

• tonyb
    I might disagree with that assessment. If Alexa has to listen for a wake word, then it's always listening. Trick is, how much of what it listens to, data, is kept. They claim it keeps little, but putting trust in a company who's job it is to collect data is a little misplaced in my view.

Social media companies have already been caught handing over private info to government agencies, even though they claim to not do so. Government themselves have been caught violating that trust. Blind faith in todays day and age is just that, blind.

Having an ear in millions of homes would be a desirable aspect to some agencies, no ? Information technologies is big business, data is everything, for all the right reasons and sometimes the wrong. Cans of worms are best left closed in my view.

I do however get the marketing aspect of combining products. After all, Alexa has already had millions of bucks poured into it's marketing and adding a Polk product to piggy back on it gives them an advantage.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Emlyn wrote: »

Alexa--"Not to night I have a headache".......

Now what???

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    This is kind of reminiscent of when they coined the cute and cuddly term "cookies" for innocent little pieces of data stored on your computer when you visited websites.
    Whatever. Get an Alexa or don't get one, it's too late in the game for privacy concerns anyway.

cookie. A small text file (up to 4KB) created by a website that is stored in the user's computer either temporarily for that session only or permanently on the hard disk (persistent cookie). Cookies provide a way for the website to recognize you and keep track of your preferences.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • tonyb
    polrbehr wrote: »
    This is kind of reminiscent of when they coined the cute and cuddly term "cookies" for innocent little pieces of data stored on your computer when you visited websites.
    Whatever. Get an Alexa or don't get one, it's too late in the game for privacy concerns anyway.

cookie. A small text file (up to 4KB) created by a website that is stored in the user's computer either temporarily for that session only or permanently on the hard disk (persistent cookie). Cookies provide a way for the website to recognize you and keep track of your preferences.

Lol...good call. These data collection companies are ever so truthful eh.

Topic for another occasion, don't really want to derail Polks thread on a new product which I can see my comments might do just that. You like it, buy it...if not don't. Have to go now, the IRS is knocking on my door. A little birdie must have said somethin'. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Well, someone will put a Sniffer on their network and see if anything is being transmitted, so that really isn't a big concern of mine. At least we know this product will always be listening. I would be more concerned of technology that might be surreptitiously added to a product. For example, are new cars listening to us? Who knows? If they are then at some point someone will find out, but until then it will be unknown.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    tonyb wrote: »
    As far as incorporating Alexa into soundbars.....not something I would be interested in but some might be. No need for either as a stand alone product let alone together. Plus as Dan noted, having a device that listens to everything and can possibly be shared with government agencies isn't something that makes me say "gotta have it".

I think what you're saying, Tony, is that this thing just doesn't blow your sack back! :p

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Well, someone will put a Sniffer on their network and see if anything is being transmitted, so that really isn't a big concern of mine. At least we know this product will always be listening. I would be more concerned of technology that might be surreptitiously added to a product. For example, are new cars listening to us? Who knows? If they are then at some point someone will find out, but until then it will be unknown.

Yes... they are. Manufactures have used data from vehicles to void warranties. They can also be tracked in real time by anyone through gps data. If they are Bluetooth equipped, they can listen too.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2018
    ... all of which makes me wonder* what sort of delusions modern paranoid schizophrenics have? In the old days, it was easy, right? "They implanted a chip in me, they're listening to me, they're tracking my every move..." etc.

Nowadays, "they" do all that stuff.

:|

• BlueFox wrote: »

Yes... they are. Manufactures have used data from vehicles to void warranties. They can also be tracked in real time by anyone through gps data. If they are Bluetooth equipped, they can listen too.

The black boxes on modern cars correct? They can get vehicle information, right?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2018
    Here’s a legitimate question for the 50 or so members of this forum who have a problem with this product and how it was rolled out. Do you really think that a company as big as Polk and its parent company are going to introduce a product that doesn’t interest a proven target demographic? It’s hilarious that there are some on here posting that Polk should not have gone this route and that it won’t be of any interest - the Alexa modules have been flying off the shelves and not everyone is an audiophile. The sound bars are a HUGE market share for ease of use, low profile, and functionally superior to TV speakers. We may not be interested in the Alexa integration or the sound bar technology, but WE represent less than 1% of the demographic.

I would have shut the thread down as well. This forum came off as a bunch of holier than thou whiners over a product release.......if you want to be heard, start new threads to Polk CS about what YOU WANT TO SEE, not moaning about the things that are already available. Maybe, just maybe, Polk will listen. And if thy don’t there is probably a good reason for it - what you think as genius, they may perform the market research and figure out that they would lose their shirts on your great idea. It’s comical that people think in such narrow views - money and the potential for profit will drive EVERY company or they’re doomed to fail. Polk is no different in that regard.

And anyone suggesting that “censorship” was at play and that their rights were infringed upon because a thread was shut down, please understand that your participation in this forum is completely voluntary. If you feel this way, you may exercise your right not to visit or post on the forum. Otherwise, stay and positively contribute. This forum has never been about censorship - but it has been about respect, no brand bashing, no foul or suggestive language and certain topics are off limits. Many of us frequently toe the line in that regard with no repercussions......I usually side with POLK - if a thread is shut down, which is not often, they will get the benefit of the doubt from me
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Yes... and through Bluetooth, can real time relay that info to manufacturers, police or spy agencies. Soon, they will be able to use it to shut down a vehicle rather than chase it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    Yes... and through Bluetooth, can real time relay that info to manufacturers, police or spy agencies. Soon, they will be able to use it to shut down a vehicle rather than chase it.

Say goodbye to my bank robbing days then....dang it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll be viewed as a dinosaur, but whatever. All this voice command stuff is the optimity of laziness and yet some wonder why Americans are so fat.

IMO, it's hard to argue with this statement.

That said, regarding the soundbar/Alexa combo. I agree that Polk is gearing it's products to "what the average person wants". An interesting thing to think about is: Does this thread (the previous one too) regarding the soundbar and the response to it (in the majority) mean that the average "Polkie" on the forum has zero/little interest in what "the average person" wants, including convenience over sound quality? Also, are (we, myself included) the people who want sound quality over convenience, outdated?

This makes me wonder, is the thinking of the members of the forum outdated (and that's how Polk thinks of us)? I truly hope not. Is Polk waiting for the forum member dynamic to change to convenience over sound quality? I hope not.

Given 25 years, what will this forum look like as far as members go? Will the majority of it's members be looking for "ease of use" over producing quality sound? I hope not.

Will Polk consider making both lines of products? That is, a majority of products that produce high quality sound (which is what Polk Audio was founded on). And, products that are produced for the "mass market", "ease of use/convenience" crowd? I hope so.

A lot of people on this forum would love to see some newly produced SDA's, since the last model produced was 26 years ago. Will this happen? I hope so.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • mhardy6647

Snowshoes and balaclavas, my friend. Snowshoes and balaclavas.
  • tonyb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Snowshoes and balaclavas, my friend. Snowshoes and balaclavas.

You'd make a lousy bank robber Professor. :)

"Will Polk consider making both lines of products? That is, a majority of products that produce high quality sound (which is what Polk Audio was founded on). And, products that are produced for the "mass market", "ease of use/convenience" crowd? I hope so."

Hmm...thought they already did that. You have lifestyle products and speakers to match higher quality sounds.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's