Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Just reread my PMs. They ARE INDEED 2As lol... my bad!

So what do you think about how they sound? All they need to be fully pimped out is some RDO194 or a 5.8uf cap added so they can use RDO198's. The SL2000's still sound pretty sweet in them. I enjoyed them.

They sound good. Wife like the way they looked good enough she let me put them in the MAIN room. I hadn't planned on that lol.....

They aren't ideally located (7.25" off back wall and only 6 feet apart give or take), but they sound quite good.

I dont think I will be adding in the cap, likely just going with 194's and then a couple other small things to them.

I'm hoping that since my wife was ok with their form factor, that if we both really dig them long term I can upgrade to the larger ones like a pair of the SRS 2's, or even 1C's.

But we will see. I'm running out of space along the wall with the subs my buddy's building for me that go either on the inside or outside of each of those speakers...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    @la2vegas well done !!!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • @TNTsTunes, glad you were able to pick up those SDA SRS 2s. How was their physical condition? They looked pretty nice from the photos (but photos can lie).

How do they sound? Are you planning any updates right away, or are you going to let them settle in for a while?
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    250GTLusso wrote: »
    @TNTsTunes, glad you were able to pick up those SDA SRS 2s. How was their physical condition? They looked pretty nice from the photos (but photos can lie).

How do they sound? Are you planning any updates right away, or are you going to let them settle in for a while?

They are in pretty nice shape, there are a few scratches, one side panel is loose, the grill fabric needs replacement and one speaker dome has a small dent. The scratches are fixable, the fabric will be updated and I'll probably try to find a driver just because.

Sound wise they are great. They are stock. I'm pretty impressed with them, they are keepers. Definitely nicer then 1C's sonically IMO. They pretty much give my 2.3's a run for the money.

I have Larry's rings for them, dynamat extreme for the drivers and passives along with some blackhole already that they will get. I will be gluing the drivers and doing the dynamat right away. After my 2.3 are TL'ed and fully upgraded(just waiting on one inductor to start) I'll do and the rings, blackhole and cosmetic stuff to them. Eventually I'll do some RDO194's and the crossovers/binding posts too.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• kmeek
    kmeek Posts: 225
    @TNTsTunes, glad you were able to pick up those SDA SRS 2s. How was their physical condition? They looked pretty nice from the photos (but photos can lie).

They are in pretty nice shape, there are a few scratches, one side panel is loose, the grill fabric needs replacement and one speaker dome has a small dent. The scratches are fixable, the fabric will be updated and I'll probably try to find a driver just because.

Sound wise they are great. They are stock. I'm pretty impressed with them, they are keepers. Definitely nicer then 1C's sonically IMO. They pretty much give my 2.3's a run for the money.

I have Larry's rings for them, dynamat extreme for the drivers and passives along with some blackhole already that they will get. I will be gluing the drivers and doing the dynamat right away. After my 2.3 are TL'ed and fully upgraded(just waiting on one inductor to start) I'll do and the rings, blackhole and cosmetic stuff to them. Eventually I'll do some RDO194's and the crossovers/binding posts too.

@TNTsTunes, Sounds like we are living in a parallel universe. I too have a pair of SRS 2's as mentioned earlier as well as a stock pair of 2.3's. I have Larry's rings for both, new aluminum binding plates with xlr for the interconnect cables, Dynamat and plan on securing the magnets. I also put together two Dreadnoughts to use with them (800va and the 1000va) with Canare cables.
    To bad you're not in Phoenix or we could combine resources.
    Good luck with your projects!
  • kmeek
    kmeek Posts: 225
    @TNTsTune, Also I saw you had listed blackhole which I did not know about. I did a quick search on it and will have to add that to the mix.
    Thanks
  • @TNTsTune, sounds like a great score on those. Regarding your comment that "one speaker dome has a small dent", do you mean the voice coil dust cap has a dent? I have used tape to pull those out before (I start with blue painters tape, and if that isn't strong enough for some reason, I move up to small strips of masking, and for the very rare case duct tape). Sometimes they pop back out on the first pull and peel, and sometimes it takes a couple tries (adjusting the angle that you are pulling as you go).

I like the upgrade path. I have a pair of 2.3TLs that I am going to upgrade this spring. I have Larry's rings, locktite Power Grab, Dynamate Extreme, BH-5, Cardas CCGG-S binding posts (just arrived on Friday), and a couple 1KVA AL toroids from last years group buy that I still need to assemble. I need to acquire the RDO's, and some new fabric and then its off to the races!

Looking forward to see your and @kmeek 's progress!
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL in LA area. No affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-SDA-SRS-2-3TL-Reference-Speakers/302594236826?hash=item467405a19a:g:KrUAAOSwqvNaUple

If they were Walnut, they would be mine!
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL in LA area. No affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-SDA-SRS-2-3TL-Reference-Speakers/302594236826?hash=item467405a19a:g:KrUAAOSwqvNaUple

They look walnut to me....
    Maybe my phone is distorting the color but they look much darker than oak.
  • TNTsTunes
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL in LA area. No affiliation.

gotta love the description... "Great condition no defects that I can see"

I see 3 pushed in dust covers and the screwed up fabric on the side panel from the one pic they took.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Thankfully I have NO room out here whatsoever for these to breathe, let alone floor space! One day perhaps, but in the interim, man the big boys are purty aren't they!?
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    @la2vegas 2B's for $100 haha wow. I would not sell mine for $1000. :smiley:
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited January 2018

I see 3 pushed in dust covers and the screwed up fabric on the side panel from the one pic they took.
    Yeah, I noticed that. And the butyl rubber on the right speaker's lower dimensional woofer has two chunks taken out of it. :p

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Viking64 wrote: »

Yeah, I noticed that. And the butyl rubber on the right speaker's lower dimensional woofer has two chunks taken out of it. :p

And the woofer above that one has surround slices in it too, it looks like.

800.00 or 700. ?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • @pitdogg2, I was going by the wood grain across the front of the end caps, but you might be right. I have asked the seller. Waiting for a response.
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    @pitdogg2, I was going by the wood grain across the front of the end caps, but you might be right. I have asked the seller. Waiting for a response.

yep but they have some torn surrounds as well not a 1100.00 speaker IMHO. If they do not have a cable to go with as well, then I'd be hard pressed to offer half that amount. I'd have to get eyes on them before any discussion could also have froze VC's
  • TNTsTunes
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    @pitdogg2, I was going by the wood grain across the front of the end caps, but you might be right. I have asked the seller. Waiting for a response.

yep but they have some torn surrounds as well not a 1100.00 speaker IMHO. If they do not have a cable to go with as well, then I'd be hard pressed to offer half that amount. I'd have to get eyes on them before any discussion could also have froze VC's

these look like a better deal but they kinda look like they might have been wet.

https://ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-SDA-SRS-2-3TL-Reference-Speakers/282772232369?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3Dc882c4f190db4489acdec0c80b1c1d6e%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D302594236826&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

• Tony M
    Why is the right one higher off the floor? Good observation! Low water damage like you think is probably right. Warpage.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Tony M wrote: »
    Why is the right one higher off the floor? Good observation! Low water damage like you think is probably right. Warpage.

It is missing the feet. Gee, you would think the one with feet would have stayed out of the water. HAHAHA
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    Those have been up for months. The description he gives for them are 2.3’s not tl’s. I guess he doesn’t know what they are.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Those are less than a mile from me. I can go look at them if someone is interested in them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Those are less than a mile from me. I can go look at them if someone is interested in them.

That's pretty nice of you to offer that! Go, John. B):)
  • @Tony M , and @TNTsTunes you have sharp eyes! I didn't notice the tear in the butyl rubber surround until you said that. Not too worried about the dust caps on the voice coils, as I have pulled out countless ones of those. Going to need a new MW6510.
    @pitdogg2 I agree with you, not a $1100 speaker. $600-700 all day long though if they pass the VC test.
    About 90 minutes from me (on a good day!).
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • MrBuhl
    ^^^ arrrggghhhh!!! ^^^ I would love to grab those puppies!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    ^^ whew - I misread - they are Monitor 5's - had em, nice enough, but I'm holding out for 7's someday... ^^ crisis averted. Side note. Damn Pugs are cute dogs.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Update on the 2.3TLs in the LA area. Seller sent me these photos, which appear to show that they are Walnut, but the seller says "I believe the caps are Oak".

I have also inquired about the torn butyl rubber surrounds.

pud5bqzw5c4v.jpg
    2e8bqtsd3vr2.jpg
    ax04sy16t34t.jpg
    tejlar94hoyt.jpg
    4qmmmxj64v6a.jpg
    91pbqcgyddvx.jpg
    foicrs5v3r22.jpg
    qievus3rmoxk.jpg
    dgt3c0inrpij.jpg
    dgxl94by68md.jpg
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2018
    Looks like they were left behind in a house that is being flipped... get me a phone number and I will go look at them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2018