RTiA7... should I or should I not?

Hello one and all. This is my first post here on the Polk forum. I’ve been a Polk user for a couple of years. I had a RTiA1 and a DSW550i a couple of years back. Sold both for space constraints. Now I’m looking for a pair of floorstanders.

I was pretty much decided on the RtiA5 until today. When I heard the RTiA7. Sigh.

My room is a rectangle. From the speakers to my listening position it’s about 8 ish feet. I have a marantz SR6009 and I use VDH Clearwater cables. Primarily for watching movies and playing PS4 ( yes I’m an overgrown child)

My biggest concern is,will my AVR be able to drive the bigger rtiA7?

Or should I just stick to the rtiA5. I really do like the A7 though. Looks bigger and sound is just bigger too.

Bi amping. 50/50 truth/myth. Or so I’ve read. Will it really help?

Wires. Is my vdh Clearwater good enough? Or should I buy another cable? Anything recommended for the rtiA7 in particular without selling a kidney?

I have about 10 odd days in which to decide. Thank you all.

Comments

• speny
    speny Posts: 5
    Eeeks, forgot to mention. I don’t have any plans for a center or surrounds. I will be running only two floorstanders with the Marantz sr6009.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I would stick with the A5's, especially if you're not going to run a center.

The midrange from the A5's is better defined.

I would then take the money that you saved and look into investing in a good sub.
  • speny
    Thanks mate. See that's the issue. I don't have space even for a sub. And I don't plan on getting a sub in the foreseeable future.

Hence I preferred the 7s over the 5s. Like I said. This is for mainly movies and ps4. I need a lil bass!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Get the 7's, your receiver will be fine running them in 2 channel.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • speny
    Thanks tonyb! I was going through a lot of posts where people don't advise running the 7s with anything less than 200 watts. Could face possible damage to speakers or amp, clipping etc.

What about cables? Anything specific for the marantz and the 7s? Thanks again!
  • tonyb
    speny wrote: »
    Thanks tonyb! I was going through a lot of posts where people don't advise running the 7s with anything less than 200 watts. Could face possible damage to speakers or amp, clipping etc.

What about cables? Anything specific for the marantz and the 7s? Thanks again!

That 200 watt thing has lots of variables to it. Take that with a grain of salt. You'll be just fine....as long as you don't try burying the volume dial.

Cables....hard to say, as I'm not familiar with the ones you have.I can tell you the 7's will benefit from a warmer sounding cable as those tweeter can get a bit bright at times. Also, budget comes into play, I could recommend some, but it would be hard without knowing how much your willing to spend on them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The A5's, in my opinion, have better mid-range imaging than the A7''s, and this is the area that contains a lot of dialogue. The A7's have much better bass response, which would be totally lost running the A5's. If you have no plans to run a sub, I would probably go A7.

Agree that Marantz will be alright rung the A7' in 2-channel at a moderately loud level 8 feet away.

Forget the bi-wiring. Replace the stock jumper plates with quality speaker wire, and wire them conventionally. It's the woofers that need the extra power, so why waste it on the mids and tweeters.
  • speny
    Tonyb, thanks again. I can spend maybe about 50-80 USD per meter. I wont need more than that. Just about a metre either side shud be good enough for me .any particular gauge? Please recommend me a name and also I'll be buying it online. I live in India but have a couple of friends coming from the US to India who will carry them for me. So any online speaker shops?

Rpf65, thanks to you too mate. My mind is so much on the 7s cause they sounded so much better when I heard them both side by side on the same amp. Regarding the part of the jumper plates, I honestly don't know what that means cause I didn't see the 7s so closely. But anyways that I can do when I get the speakers.

I'll still be able to watch and enjoy some good ol' action movies at reasonably loud levels right?? Sorry im still in self convince mode.
  • tonyb
    One meter on either side ? How close are the speakers going to be to each other ? How big is the room you'll have these in ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deepee
    deepee Posts: 1
    Wow, it said user banned.Eh? What the heck did i do to get banned? I'm the OP of this thread. That's really impolite of the mods to do such a thing. I had to register with a secondary email id. If I'm not welcome here, it's ok I'll leave.

Anyways,sorry tonyb, my bad. It's definately atleast 1.5m either side from the amp.

My room is a rectangle . From the speakers to the tv is about 8 feet and on one side it opens up into the living room.

Thank you.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    There seems to be an issue with ISPs originating from India. You're not the only one that this has happened to. With a little patience, this will be resolved.
  • tonyb
    What kinds of cable brands are available to you where you live ? Are you opposed to buying used.....or from the internet ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Can you get the Signature series?
    They're a better good dual purpose speaker, imho.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    and banned again
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    It seems that there is some sort of glitch with accounts being banned. I have seen similar things with other (non-Vanilla) websites. Accounts from certain regions of the world get banned automatically without any moderator involvement. But, as Doc Hardy might say: "Any similarity between those instances and the ones recently noted on Club Polk are purely conjecture. Perhaps not in a TOTALLY PURE sense, but in a somewhat semi-pure, although not unadulterated degree of pureness."
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2018
    You are correct. Same thing happened a few months back to another fellow. Ken Sw had to get involved to sort it out.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    I have been ban a few times for reading or posting from abroad. Have to reach out to Ken every time to clear it out.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.