BlueFox Friday Night Find! - Infinity RS5b Curb Alert!

MrBuhl
MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
edited January 2018 in Vintage Speakers
So oddly enough - walking home from a function at a local adult beverage establishment (really, it was work, really) and right around the corner from my place - what do I see sitting next to the trash pile, but these little gems!

z8aqmeightrm.jpg

tw1316x7622u.jpg

pvkjyi6i7njd.jpg

Quick check showed polydome mids in perfect condition, Emits that didn't appear torn and also in good shape, & woofers that need re-foaming. Fairly roached cabinet finish, but still with solid integrity. Grills are in perfect condition. Hmmm. A quick & slightly staggering firemans carry to the front door, and there you have it.

p08tcw6xftf3.jpg

mshih3glmyg5.jpg

lst9pvqgwzos.jpg

ubjdmhtkxidn.jpg

Can't decide other than I'm going to refoam the woofers for sure, that's cheap and easy, and hook them up. I figured worse case I can part em out, but they're otherwise in such good condition, I might at least clean up the finishes and give them a listen before I decide what to do with them in the end.

Funny how the world works sometimes, one persons trash, another mans treasure!
VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Curb side lottery was good to you. Fix them up.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Reform those Watkins woofers and have a nice little bookshelf speaker
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • MrBuhl
    Thanks guys! I think I'll do just That! @erniejade - hardly little though, they are surprisingly stout!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Congrats man. Used to find all kinds of cool stuff pushed to the curb in the old days. My first set of SRS were dragged to the curb by my ex wife, and gone before I could get them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • MrBuhl
    ^^ yikes!! ^^ that's one vicious ex! Mine gave my dog away before I could arrange to get her, funny how accurate that "thin line between live and hate" is!

It's my first rescue in a while... my Mom used to make my Dad always take one kid to the dump with him. Our job was to ensure he left with less than he came with LOL, I guess I come by it honestly.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Nice find, very lucky.

Are those speaker enclosures made out of solid wood? Back before they started using MDF?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Congrats man. Used to find all kinds of cool stuff pushed to the curb in the old days. My first set of SRS were dragged to the curb by my ex wife, and gone before I could get them.

Ouch - Ex wife ??? That must still hurt ...
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • MrBuhl
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice find, very lucky.

Are those speaker enclosures made out of solid wood? Back before they started using MDF?

Hey thanks - no, they are real wood veneer over mdf as I understand things.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Clipdat
    Oh well, still a lot better looking than a lot of the speakers you see for sale these days.

Looking forward to you bringing them back to life and then maybe hooking them up to your new Pass amplifier to see how they sound!
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Hey thanks - no, they are real wood veneer over mdf as I understand things.

• MrBuhl
    Well... the nature of free vintage speakers being what they are... I've ordered the appropriate 10" refoam kit, removed one woofer and checked the values in the crossover (also verified through a post at AK), and ordered the capacitors needed to refresh the caps on both boards as well (Clarity ESA and PX). I think i still have some leftover dynamat for the woofer baskets. Now the free speakers are $70 speakers, still, should be a fun winter project!

4wv0nh0wmn7d.jpg

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Looking at that pic reminds me of an mhardy custom crossover hehe.
    I bet they'll sound splendid when all done.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Kinda surprised they didn't stand one of the inductors up on that board...

BTW, nice grab, I'm jelly.
  • MrBuhl
    xschop wrote: »
    Looking at that pic reminds me of an mhardy custom crossover hehe.
    I bet they'll sound splendid when all done.

LOL - and a lot like the ones I did when I rebuilt a set of AR's for my son too!
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Kinda surprised they didn't stand one of the inductors up on that board...

BTW, nice grab, I'm jelly.

I know - I might have to when I get there - I'm sure the 15uf ESA going there is going to be a tight squeeze compared to the originals!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Clipdat
    Will the stock mid and tweeter adjustment knobs stay, or be bypassed?
  • MrBuhl
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Will the stock mid and tweeter adjustment knobs stay, or be bypassed?

I think the L Pads will stay - I'll just replace the caps and run everything as designed otherwise - the few reviews and upgrade threads I've seen don't seem to suggest a benefit in removing them from the system.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I would like to hear those in my rig when they are done.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • MrBuhl
    It would be an honor - but I think your system will be slumming!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I have RSIIIb’s (and Kappa 8’s). You should be pleasantly surprised by those babies!