Magnify Mini is bricked after attempting firmware update via Google Home. Support is useless

I tried to update the soundbar via Google Home and the red light just blinked until the thing finally turned off. Support office was closed so I emailed them, but no response after 24 hours; now they're closed again.

Trying to reset by holding down the WiFi button on the back does nothing; same exact thing: Red light blinks until the unit turns off. I tried holding the button both until I heard a single tone, and until I heard a single tone followed by a tri-tone, both have the same effect.

Only way to get it to do anything is by unplugging it and plugging it back in, won't even "reset" via wifi button unless I do this.

I've tried hooking it up to ethernet and "resetting", nothing. Tried disconnecting optical and HDMI hookups and resetting, nothing. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to restore, or start working again and nothing works.

I'm at the end of my rope and Support is useless, so don't tell me to call them. Can anybody, for the love of God, just tell me how to do a factory reset of this thing? It's impossible to find out how to do this. Even if you have to PM me because of some terms of service BS, that's fine; I just wanna get this thing working without having to jump through a bunch of hoops on the phone or waiting 2 weeks for an email back.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    First, downloading and installing corrupt or incorrect firmware means the item in question usually needs to be sent back to the manufacturer so they can reflash it. For example, unplugging your TV while it's halfway done installing a new firmware.

Second, I would never use a third party device to update something as sensitive as the firmware on something. That's just asking for trouble.

I would tell you that you need to call and get in contact with Polk but seeing as that's not an answer you want I'll just say best of luck to you.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Nightfall wrote: »
    First, downloading and installing corrupt or incorrect firmware means the item in question usually needs to be sent back to the manufacturer so they can reflash it. For example, unplugging your TV while it's halfway done installing a new firmware.

Second, I would never use a third party device to update something as sensitive as the firmware on something. That's just asking for trouble.

I would tell you that you need to call and get in contact with Polk but seeing as that's not an answer you want I'll just say best of luck to you.
    Not sure why you're preaching to the OP. There's no indication in his words that he downloaded or installed corrupt or incorrect firmware. He didn't use a third party device. Google Home is the app Polk uses to facilitate the update over WiFi.

Don't know what to tell the OP other than keep trying to contact Customer Service. Hopefully @KennethSwauger or @KenCustomerService will jump on here and help. These soundbars are awesome when they work, but can be a bit flaky sometimes, as you might have read on here...
  • LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    Their support phone line is jammed during regular business hours. I've used their option of having them call me back, and they are very reliable in returning the call quickly. That's the only recommendation I can make El_Pared.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Try leaving it unplugged for like a good half hour. Too short of time may not reset it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Hello,
    I'm sorry you're having a problem. I'll send your email address to my friend at Polk and I'm sure he will contact you as soon as possible, probably on Monday.
  • El_Pared
    El_Pared Posts: 2
    edited January 2018
    alright, I guess I can try calling them on Monday. Thanks for the replies everyone. Kenneth I'll also check my email regularly, thanks for getting your "man on the inside" involved ;)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Not sure why you're preaching to the OP. There's no indication in his words that he downloaded or installed corrupt or incorrect firmware. He didn't use a third party device. Google Home is the app Polk uses to facilitate the update over WiFi.

The speaker thing that you talk to? Google's version of Alexa. "Hey Google, play that hipster song with whistling." device is what Polk uses for updates?

Apologies maybe I'm the one confused.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • You're welcome. I'm sure he'll be able to help.
  • Nightfall wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

The speaker thing that you talk to? Google's version of Alexa. "Hey Google, play that hipster song with whistling." device is what Polk uses for updates?

Apologies maybe I'm the one confused.

Google Home is the name of the app that you use to control all your Google devices, like Chromecast, Google Home speakers etc.

e3cnqvn7w10z.png

• I'm really concerned about the Google Home MagniFi Mini issue because every post on this issue is unresolved. I've seen at least a half dozen threads and not a single forum user has said "support contacted me back and the issue is fixed" or "here's what to do." I'm awaiting contact back from an email and phone call I made to support and if I solve the problem I'll post something helpful on the forums, you know like how forums are intended to work.
  • So just wanted to confirm following my discussion with Polk phone support, trying to setup a MagniFi Mini to cast with the Google Home app WILL brick the device and make it unrepairable. They're replacing mine since it happened within 2 weeks of ownership. So you're looking at an exchange if this happens to you. And you're not alone if it happens to you, as evidenced by dozens of other posters here. Good luck! If you have a friend get the MagniFi Mini suggest strongly they do not try to set up casting with Google Home/ Chromecast and stick with Omni if possible. Unfortunately, if you've just found this post via a google search of the problem it's probably too late for you. You're about to be on hold for 45 minutes with phone support...
  • Just commenting here to say its now September 2018 and Polk still hasn't resolved this issue. I tried connecting the Magnifi Mini to google home, and it immediately bricked the sound bar. Called support and they are sending a replacement, but they still have no record of this being an ongoing issue.
  • Myhail1
    Myhail1 Posts: 5
    Need to reprogram flash ,i do it.