Bullet-proof albums

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited December 2017
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Tom Petty "Wildflowers"

I am not a yuuuuuuuge Tom Petty fan, but, yeah, it's a nice album.
    The aforementioned Jennys do a nice cover, I'd opine, of his song Wildflowers -- Petty fans may or may not care for it; it's very Jenny-esque.

https://youtu.be/XdgY-CQsbKU
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    dromunds wrote: »
    I know this was mentioned previously, but I just put this SACD on, mostly because I play it periodically and often at the end of the year. One can really appreciate on SACD the genius of Yes at this period, especially I Get Up I Get Down, as well as the intro to And You and I. The complex and layered vocals and instrumentation sound great on SACD. There aren't too many albums that have held up for me for forty years, this one has. So has Hendrix's Are You Experienced, also mentioned. And Dire Straits ST, (LOL).

mj78jxd3gwny.jpg

Agreed Don. The Hoffman mastered AF SACD is one of the best sounding SACD's I own, period.

IMO, Close To The Edge (the song) is the greatest rock song ever written, period. I told this to Jon Anderson once, and he slowly said.......... "I think so......."[pondering my question as he said it]. CTTE (the track) is one of those songs and CTTE is one of those albums that were truly inspired from "somewhere else". Jon Anderson probably doesn't even truly realize how completely outstanding the track is.

When I saw YES at the now famous San Louis Obispo "Keys To Ascension" concert, Jon Anderson introduced Close To The Edge by giving a synopsis of one of the reviews of the song, quoting the reviewer as saying "The sang was 'close to the edge' of disaster. Anderson's response was: "He just didn't get it, that's all." That is the truth. For many people YES's music is way too over the top, involved, and "self-indulgent". I never found it so. I also never found their music pretentious. The members of YES (especially on CTTE) all had music writing skills and instrument playing skills to back up what they wrote. Rick Wakeman is one of the best rock (or otherwise) keyboard players of all time. Bill Bruford is one of the best drummers of all time. Steve Howe was voted the best guitarist 7 years in Guitar Player magazine. Chris Squire is considered one of the best bass players of all time. And Jon Anderson has one of the most unique sounding voices in rock, his lyric writing is phenomenal, and his vocalization(s) are completely original, unique, and inspirational.

Subjective? Maybe, but I find it hard for some to say pretentious. That is utter BS, IMO, and the reasons in the paragraph above are why I say that. (No offense intended @mhardy6647)
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Can't believe this did not come up sooner

ouc9uc7glz40.jpg
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The Rolling Stones were probably the most consistent for me in putting out good albums, at least until the 80s

51p8nsDDvNL.jpg
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox wrote: »
    The Rolling Stones were probably the most consistent for me in putting out good albums, at least until the 80s

51p8nsDDvNL.jpg

My favorite Stones album, period.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I would say that the glass pictured on this album cover is bullet-proof, because, as far as I know, Peter Gabriel has never been shot in the face.

1qa9zbifblvk.jpg
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Can't believe this did not come up sooner

ouc9uc7glz40.jpg

That was the first album I ever bought.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    My-Worlds-The-Collection-Cover-Art-justin-bieber-19413595-600-600.png
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    ^^^ You just lost 10,000 points in the he-man contest.
  • As a product of the 80s, the albums I consider "bullet proof" are those that I can listen all the way through over and over. Of course these are both Mutt Lange produced albums. Not everyone cares for these I know, but these are subjectively a couple of my favorites all the way through.

ps65xtuykykm.png

0jivskjt1obz.png
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    @Nightfall... there is a special place in hell for people that post Beiber pics. :p

Why we haven't declared war on Canada for this abomination is beyond me.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Some really truly bulletproof stuff here already! Here's a few that come to mind - and a few I should get roasted over - still, bulletproof to my ears!

m7nroig1wwvm.jpg

8w1khhs5ohxj.jpg

99kazsayp8jw.jpg

s89tgdz18mrq.jpg

dugeuc2kaeuu.jpg

ay7let2exvy5.jpg

l2riwd9r8o88.jpg

ra5jq1e37wjh.jpg

0hd06m34k9o1.jpg

2vuc3qzk8t1o.jpg

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• I thought about this more last night and went through my collection trying to find albums that I consider a total package of songs.

For more rock from the 80s.
    u25qaemtfeij.png

w39fwbt5nxyh.png

hxcwsqykfo12.png

No country music has been added yet, and this again depends on your taste.

Mary Chapin Carpenter has always been a good singer/songwriter/story teller. These are two I consider some of her best.

Come On Come On
    nv6jkqw0dr40.png

Shooting Straight in the Dark
    9oe1hfpbgr8s.png

Kelly Willis is not a household name, but I could listen to this album over and over. It's no longer in print, which is a shame.

3hmlo98md1h6.png

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    ^^^^ I have that Kelly Willis CD. I bought it after seeing her perform this song on "Austin City Limits".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36dSU1pTzKc
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    Saw them in a small club in Dallas.
    e56qq7bdtr16.png
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    obieone wrote: »
    Albums (NOT 'greatest hits) that every song is good. Yes, it's obviously subjective, but....
    Here are some to get the idea:

2ah4wutxaxpr.jpg

Just out of -- academic -- curiosity :)

How often do you listen to Within You, Without You?

Now, it's not a bad track, and it's at least a bit historically significant as a touchpoint in the introduction of Indian music (or at least the instruments and style of classical Indian music) to young Western ears... but it's a little out there relative to the rest of the album.

How often?....only when I'm tripping balls :D
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I love every song on The Pale Emperor. In fact, this album made me re-examine my opinion of Marilyn Manson, and I now have most/all of his albums.

2b9my4nqo9kw.jpeg
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • obieone
    Nightfall wrote: »
    My-Worlds-The-Collection-Cover-Art-justin-bieber-19413595-600-600.png

oi90qapyfhq9.gif

• obieone
    Forgot this one

6t6ftsg6bzwx.jpg
  • dromunds wrote: »
    Nobody's listed Dire Straits' first album?

Never heard of them.

Love over gold. Another great album by Dire Straits. I mean, if you've heard of them.
  • mhardy6647
    obieone wrote: »
    Forgot this one

6t6ftsg6bzwx.jpg

I do like Wish You Were Here. Still.
  • Floyd had some of the best ever.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2018
    tic,tic,tic,tic,tic,tic,tic,tic,
    !#!^%#$!###@&#@%#%#!*!&*!@)^!#(%^!)( clock alarms going off! )

Just a PF song excerpt reference.
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • yfcoefdf0mgi.jpg
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    ^^ I was looking for that album this morning. CSN debut is another. Graham Nash Songs for Beginners.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2018
    ^^The first album was something of a life changer for me.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    CS&N....
    That might be one of the groups that seriously got me into quilty R&R with ballads on the side.

Southern Cross....." And Music Was Her Name"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuB31BfVx3A
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    rule number one for album covers should be "shirts, please".
    At least for males.