More Pass Labs - Not Young Anymore!

MrBuhl
MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
edited January 2018 in Electronics
So this happened a few weeks ago – and I blame the Doc @mhardy6647 ! (proof I should blame him contained here: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179507/i-would-be-remiss#latest) So I had traced this auction in my calendar mostly on a lark, and partly because it’s literally right up the street a couple blocks from my place here in LA. I had thought I might attend in person, just to check it out, but ended up a bit intimidated to attend in person honestly.

Anyhoo – long story short, I correctly figured that most folks would be watching the goods in this order:
A.) Album or tour used gear/stuff from Neil
B.) Musical Instruments and the like from Neil
C.) Train collectors for the train stuff
D.) Higher end widely recognized (like the McIntosh stuff) gear
E.) Everything else

72hi5rsjp7hl.jpg

As a result, I watched the two Pass Labs amps in the auction, a harmonica or two, a hat, and a lot of the McIntosh stuff as well, even though I expected that to end up spendy (and it did).
Low and behold, I’m the very pleased owner of Neil Young’s Pass Labs X-150.5 now! (side note for you future auction buyers out there, don’t forget to add sales tax and the sellers premium to your budget… ahem… I may have forgotten that not-so-insignificant cost when I hit my max (but winning) bid! Still, given that, I’m very pleased to have an amp Neil rubbed his dingus on for less than I could have bought the same amp used anywhere else that I’ve seen one. First sounds played were of course, Harvest in its entirety.

8nqblffkqskj.jpg

I’ve hooked it up in place of the Dodd 50W Dual Mono for now, and I have to say, first impressions are very good. In fact, it’s what I would call a whole new level when paired with the 705’s. I thought they sounded pretty good on the Dodd, don’t get me wrong, but this Pass Labs X150.5 wakes them the hell up… the difference in base and clarity is astounding and immediately noticeable. Eye opening really.
And they both make nice heaters to boot.

5u2u7b5kkcjf.jpg

As you can see from the close-ups, Neil wasn’t exactly a great caretaker of equipment, but it works perfectly and sounds amazing, so no complaints there. I think the Pass mothership is about a 7-hour drive from me in NorCal, so I might just take a weekend and swing it on up there sometime this year and have them check the whole thing out, make sure everything is up to snuff as it were. Anyway – thought you all would enjoy the new ear candy – I am!

4n0jl3r9ftvz.jpg

122vjkci97ym.jpg

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Comments

• Nice!!!
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    There is a Neil Young amp on eBay right now as well. Do you know what that one may have sold for?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • MrBuhl
    Thanks guys - John - I'll have a look and can let you know!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• nooshinjohn
    Congrats btw... if you contact Pass Labs, they may send you a new and minty faceplate. I would swap them out and keep the original in a safe place.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • MrBuhl
    Thanks! I might just do that, I would definitely want to provide the original rubbed one as well. I was hoping if I took it there they wouldn't do any refurb automatically.

FWIW He's got about $2752 in that amp including tax and sellers premium I believe John.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    LOL Thanks @kharp1 I might have to do that - didn't think of it!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• nooshinjohn
    And he has it listed @4k...

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    That's a cool VU meter on the front!

It says on that info card estimated $600-800 sale price? How much did you end up getting it for?
  • MrBuhl
    edited January 2018
    And he has it listed @4k...

Yea - He might have had shipping another couple hundo at most. Gives me hope if I ever need to sell I made a good decision though LOL!

Post edited by MrBuhl on

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Clipdat wrote: »
    That's a cool VU meter on the front!

It says on that info card estimated $600-800 sale price? How much did you end up getting it for?

Rude to ask that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Congrats Ed, very cool.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Why's that? It's exciting when there's an auction environment and you end up scoring a sweet deal.

I thought the estimated $600-800 on the info card seemed low so I'm just curious to know how much it ended up selling for.

Not seeing how that is being rude.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Rude to ask that.

• F1nut
    Generally speaking, if the person doesn't volunteer that info they have a reason and therefore it is rude to ask.

President of Club Polk

• I spent an evening pouring through the online catalog. Really an eclectic mix of goodies.

Congrats Mr. B., moving to CA has been good to you.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • MrBuhl
    edited January 2018
    Thanks guys - I appreciate it - I don't mind telling you - it wasn't anywhere near the estimated, nor was anything else in the auction, well ahead of double and approaching triple - but that's what got me interested in checking it out - all the estimates were low like that.

The more "in demand" stuff, was incredible - cheap (relatively speaking) guitars used by Neil that might cost a few hundred new were going for $7K, stuff like that, harmonica's for $1500, so I was pretty happy with this one!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Thanks @motorhead43026! It has had many fun outcomes that's for sure!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Yep, the Provenance would add to the value for sure.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• MrBuhl
    F1nut wrote: »
    Congrats Ed, very cool.

Thanks Jesse!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Yep, the Provenance would add to the value for sure.

I wonder though - the condition definitely hurts it - does Neil make up for an amp this expensive being nicked up? It does for me, I don't intend to sell it, but it definitely made me wonder.

On a side note - It did include a healthy dose of dust!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    MrBuhl wrote: »

I wonder though - the condition definitely hurts it - does Neil make up for an amp this expensive being nicked up? It does for me, I don't intend to sell it, but it definitely made me wonder.

That’s not dust.....
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nooshinjohn
    Without his signature on the amp, the provenance doesn’t mean much and is likely offset by the condition. That is why I would clean it up and do a new faceplate. It does not in any way hurt the history of the amp, and may actually help a bit. The original plate can be kept safe and reinstalled if you so choose.

• Clipdat
    It seems like those marks on the faceplate would have happened due to the amps being shifted during storage or rubbing up against something while being transported. Maybe they were hardly ever used.
    MrBuhl wrote: »

• MrBuhl
    @vmaxer LMAO!!

@nooshinjohn that's pretty much what I was thinking too - probably the two offset - I'll check in with the Pass folks and see what it would take to go through it.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

No doubt, and how cool would it be to have some sort of autograph on it as well. BTW, Harvest is one of my favorite albums.
  • MrBuhl
    @Clipdat, given the amount of gear being moved, I have no doubt that storage definitely plays a part. No way he could have been using all of it.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2018
    Take pictures and keep the auction paperwork/receipt. This is the provenance. It will always add value to the amp, even if you replace the faceplate. Keep the old faceplate if you replace it.

Something that is not autographed is where the provenance comes into play and is most important.

• MrBuhl
    ^^ Definitely ^^ wish I had grabbed a second catalog from the auction. I'm keeping mine with the paperwork, and it's all sealed up to keep it fresh - but I'd love to leaf through it (now to buy just the catalog they want $75 I think LOL).

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nice grab, nice amp. Congrats man, nice way to start off the new-year.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable