RTA 15T are they worth a look

https://ksl.com/classifieds/listing/50780685

My nephew is close to these. Are the worth picking up? Price?
Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I had a pair. the price seems right at 300. . They are BIG speakers !!
    The pr. I had sounded bright but I might have had them hooked up wrong. I couldn't understand the prominent highs over the bass. Maybe there was a problem in the cross-overs or just my electronics that I was using. That was years ago and I have NO IDEA what they were hooked up to then. They should've kicked butt all over my great room. They could get plenty loud, sure, but the bass was missing. :/
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    My experience is somewhat the opposite of Tony's. I found they had too much boomy bass.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    That seems reasonable for TLs. If they were closer, they'd be mine.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    F1nut wrote: »
    My experience is somewhat the opposite of Tony's. I found they had too much boomy bass.

I agree with this, I have had the 11's and the 15's, and both felt very boomy as well, hate to say it but I parted them out, and kept some of the drivers for spares..

One of the guys here purchased some of the 15's parts and built a massive center channel speaker...

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I will stop and take a look at them. if I like them and he has a little room on the price I might take them.

They will be for my nephew. I told him 5 years ago if he finished his degree I would get him some Polks. He was wanting to buy speakers at the time and school was a maybe. I guess I'm paying up.
    I just picked up a great pair of RT55's for him but I feel he could use a pair of towers too. He wants my LS90's but I'm not ready to let them go yet.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2017
    I loved my RTA 11TL's personally, but I also like big bass (not that I found them to be boomy).

Rooms and gear added to some of it I'm sure...

The 15's will need some space behind them for the passive, which could be an issue depending on how far you need to move them into the room...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I'd be tempted. The @decato modification completely changes their sound.
    The RTA-11tls are my favorites however.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Tony M
    It must have been my electronics. I was afraid of that. I probably should have kept them. :(
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    When every last one of your current systems/speakers are so more advanced, I don't see the point of doing so.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2017
    That's because you've never done it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    edited December 2017
    It's like a car collector in a way.

All the cars they buy can get you from point A to point B. But each car gives a different joy of driving. Take " Jay Leno " for instance. He said he loves each car for it's particular ride. :)

My systems and speakers are like that. I haven't had the best of health in 10+ years and really the only joy I got ( adrenaline wise ) was when I tried new to me electronics and speakers. Meditation type music got me through some seriously tough times during these years. Stereo sound experiences has been my HOBBY along with wood working for my entire life.

I have 2 of some tools too. I just do. I was glad today for just this.
    I had one extension ladder anchored to a few spots to keep it stable until I cut a branch down from 1/2 way up the tree. I started a few days ago but the wind gusts started to blow the tree around so I got off of there real quick.

Today , my wife and I packed-up those white lawn Christmas trees and then I had to get the Christmas wreath down off of my shed's front gable. I didn't want to untie all the anchor ropes from the other extension ladder so I just grabbed my 2nd shorter one.

I'm also a guy who got practically nothing from my parents growing up. What I got, I paid for by working before and after school. Starting at age 11 with a special work permit from the state of VA. . So a little or more of me is a hoarder / collector to make up for a lot of earlier wants that went unanswered growing up. I did start collecting coins early on and continued after age 23 or so. I sold a coin collection to put a down payment on my house. Nothing really huge but it was better than if I had drank or smoked what spare change I had for a hobby or pleasure activity per-se.

But I've also not sold off more than what was coming into my spaces the past 5 years or more. I don't go a day with-out thinking about what has been neglected for years around here.

I've also wanted to hear every audio related thing that I could never even think of owning most of my life. I want to hear a McIntosh amp in my plethora of stereo gear.
    I can now easily afford a used one now and maybe I'll find one after I get my hoard downsized asap. I saw a set for 5,000.00 a year ago. A Pre and a huge amp. But that was before my 401K stared to come in.

I used to be really familiar with how each brand of speakers sounded since I owned so many of each. But Polk has ALWAYS sounded good to my ears except those RTA15T's. From what I read today, I definitely had them hooked up wrong or the amp or receiver. Maybe even a pos. plugged into a neg. terminal. Cancelling the bass completely. It's happened before to me. :s

I think it's fine if somebody want's to just own one system.

But I'm definitely not that kind of person. Not even close. LOL.
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Tony, sent you a PM, did you get it?
    Tony M wrote: »

• Tony M
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Tony, sent you a PM, did you get it?
    Tony M wrote: »

I just read it. :)
    Sent you a reply just now.
    Thanks. ;)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    These are my main speakers right now. With the decato mod they turn out to be GREAT speakers. You do need to place them away from the wall due to that back PR. They can be boomy if you have them too close.

At that price I would not think twice.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited December 2017
    What is this DECATO mod???

Edit: I found it with a little searching, WOW!!! 2007, guess I just overlook the 15tl upgrades..
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Mine also have some rings that are supposed to improve tightness. Not sure who makes those... ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dolbyd
    I plan to go tomorrow and look at them. Looks like a fun winter project to update with my nephew. He has the bug too. He got a Rega P3 turntable for Christmas. Now I want one. :)

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    dolbyd wrote: »
    I plan to go tomorrow and look at them. Looks like a fun winter project to update with my nephew. He has the bug too. He got a Rega P3 turntable for Christmas. Now I want one. :)
    If you do get them, and decide to do the decato modification, read through the entire thread, changes were made.
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/48075/modifications-to-the-rta-15tl/p1
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • decato
    decato Posts: 180
    Go for it! I still have the pair I modified over 10 years ago.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    @dolbyd, we must be neighbors. I actually was going to go pick those RTA's up On New Year’s Day for a buddy. Didn’t work out but the same day I found these... I don’t really need them but couldn’t pass them up. They seem to be in good shape, but I’m going to rework them and resell if you’re ever looking for some SDA's...
    o4uxfoeb18wj.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Jay, I hope you don't use that kenwood receiver sitting on top there with those SDA's...
    They will suck the output transistors thru the speaker wire into the speakers and make one heck of a mess... :p
  • dolbyd
    Very Cool pickup.
    We had issues getting the seller on the RTA's to respond so we ended up going and picking up a clean pair of LSi15's from a guy in Sugarhouse. I hooked him up with an Adcom amp and he is in heaven.

• FestYboy
    Sounds like a win for everyone (cept the dude with the RTAs)
  • JayMX
    edited January 2018
    @FestYboy - I still may give in to my weakness and go pick them up. He dropped the price to $260!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • JayMX
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    Jay, I hope you don't use that kenwood receiver sitting on top there with those SDA's...
    They will suck the output transistors thru the speaker wire into the speakers and make one heck of a mess... :p

:D
    It’s actually a Yamaha R-100, (good solid 100wpc,made in Japan) it came along with the deal and they actually don’t sound half bad on it. But once they are refinished and cleaned up I’ll try them on my B&K before I sell them. If I don’t sell, my wife may start to lose her patience :#

• JayMX
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Very Cool pickup.
    We had issues getting the seller on the RTA's to respond so we ended up going and picking up a clean pair of LSi15's from a guy in Sugarhouse. I hooked him up with an Adcom amp and he is in heaven.

Glad you found some good ones for him. Oh and if you’re giving away Adcoms, I’d be happy to help find them a home! (AKA my basement) ;)
    There sure have been a lot on KSL lately. Polks too for that matter. Too many toys and not enough money or space!
  • FestYboy
    JayMX wrote: »
    @FestYboy - I still may give in to my weakness and go pick them up. He dropped the price to $260!

Go get 'em!!! (Then sell them to me :D )
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    On a semi-related side note has anyone tried rebuilding the crossovers to match one side of SDA 3.1's? I'm not sure how much the dimensional speaker fits in to the overall crossover spec's. Everyone seams to love those.

Another oddball FrankenPolk idea. Use or make 3.1 crossovers and mount a Monitor 4 or 5Jr to the side as the dimensional speaker. It won't contribute much bass since its not part of the cabinet, and maybe you don't want it too, but it might help some of the bass heaviness of the RTA 15's.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    FestYboy wrote: »
    JayMX wrote: »

Go get 'em!!! (Then sell them to me :D )

Ya, great price if in good shape and all drivers work.