SC-37 - Lost remote during move. Need universal advice

Glowrdr
Glowrdr Posts: 1,103
As the title states, I moved a month ago - and somehow lost all of my remotes. I'm completely unpacked, and have yet to come across them. Convinced they are in someones car, the moving truck, or they got thrown away with the box fill (I did not pack the remotes - someone saw they were in a drawer and removed them for some reason)

Since the replacements remotes are not available (or $500+), I'm looking at the next best option. I can get a generic VSX model remote, and hope all of the functions work. Otherwise I'm also looking at a full function programmable remote. I've had a few in the past, and I'm generally not a big fan. I like the "hand memory" of having physical buttons (I've pretty much only used full touchscreen ones in the past). Nothing worse then having to scroll through 3 pages of buttons for something that should be where my thumb normally is.

I've been pretty much set up for electronics lately, so I have not kept up on what the current technology is (within the last 5 years). Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good universal remote, or have a specific SC-37 option they can lead me to?

Thanks in advance! I've lived in my house for a month now and I still can't get my received properly configured. Its driving me nuts!
65" Sony X900 (XBR-65X900E)
Pioneer Elite SC-37
Polk Monitor 70's (2)
Polk Monitor 40's (4)
Polk Monitor CS2
Polk DSW Pro 660wi
Oppo BDP-93
Squeezebox Duet
Belkin PureAV PF60
Dish Network "The Hoppa"

Comments

• Glowrdr
    The Harmony Elite looks interesting - but I struggle with the question of "can a universal remote replace the OEM remote". Awaiting some feedback, just wanted to add my thoughts. I'm fine with $200-300 remotes. Not looking for some ridiculous home automation panel that's going to cost me more than a paycheck kinda thing.
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Glowrdr wrote: »
    As the title states, I moved a month ago - and somehow lost all of my remotes. I'm completely unpacked, and have yet to come across them. Convinced they are in someones car, the moving truck, or they got thrown away with the box fill (I did not pack the remotes - someone saw they were in a drawer and removed them for some reason)

Since the replacements remotes are not available (or $500+), I'm looking at the next best option. I can get a generic VSX model remote, and hope all of the functions work. Otherwise I'm also looking at a full function programmable remote. I've had a few in the past, and I'm generally not a big fan. I like the "hand memory" of having physical buttons (I've pretty much only used full touchscreen ones in the past). Nothing worse then having to scroll through 3 pages of buttons for something that should be where my thumb normally is.

I've been pretty much set up for electronics lately, so I have not kept up on what the current technology is (within the last 5 years). Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good universal remote, or have a specific SC-37 option they can lead me to?

Thanks in advance! I've lived in my house for a month now and I still can't get my received properly configured. Its driving me nuts!

I had a Logitech 650 and didn't like it because of the screen. I karma'd it on here and bought myself a Logitech Harmony 350 for the same reason you mention, that is, hand/finger memory. I have been very happy with that. Works with my bluray, receiver, TV and even the Roku box.

kul27dbn47xp.png
  • Glowrdr
    That's where things get a little tricky. Something like that would be fine for 99% of what I need. But I'm not sure how I would set up the receiver with something like that. Maybe I just need to borrow someones remote for a day and use something like that for normal use (really, once its set up - I can manually change the inputs).

I did notice I can get the Harmony Ultimate for $130 from Costco. Just trying to find a good middle ground of buttons and screen (for flexibility). The lack of a DVR button was the main thing that killed me in the past.

Do all of the Harmony remotes just use their standard database for components? Or can I use the IR commands download from Pioneer to make a fully functional remote? Anyone else I should be looking at? Everything pretty much says Harmony is the best/only option available.

Sorry for so many questions. I'm googling everything I can while here at work to see if I can come up with a solution (knowing full well, the sooner I buy a remote, the sooner I'll find my old ones)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited January 2018
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Glowrdr
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Thanks - those are the codes I have, just wasn't sure what to do with them now that I have them. lol

Forgot all about RC.com. I used to be on that site all the time back when I had my Pronto Pro. I'll check it out.
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited January 2018
    There are compatible SC-37 remotes listed on eBay for cheap, but they don't have the screen, which you don't need anyway.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    edited January 2018
    I got the Harmony 650 the other day and really like it. I had no issues connecting everything, including my receiver. You just have to download the Harmony app to your computer, plug the remote in through usb, and then enter the model number of each component that you want to add. After syncing the data, I haven't noticed any button that was on the original remote that wasn't already on the Harmony or available to add. I'm still learning how to customize it exactly how I want, but so far I'm impressed.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Glowrdr wrote: »
    That's where things get a little tricky. Something like that would be fine for 99% of what I need. But I'm not sure how I would set up the receiver with something like that. Maybe I just need to borrow someones remote for a day and use something like that for normal use (really, once its set up - I can manually change the inputs).
    A Harmony should be fine for setup. Done it many times.
  • Theheadsn
    Theheadsn Posts: 413
    Serious question:
    Do you want to buy an SC-37 remote? I still have mine laying around here after my receiver blew out on me. I'd have to look for it, but its just collecting dust lol
    Home Theater Setup
    • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R/C
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
    • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• Glowrdr
    Let me get back to you after this weekend, but if I don't find mine, I will (even if I get a Harmony, I still would want an OEM). This weekend I'm planning on going through the garage thoroughly to make sure its not in a bag on a shelf or something. When you have a dozen people unloading a truck, things can end up in weird spots. I do know however, its not in the house.
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • You can buy a Harmony 650 for 40 bucks. I have one and it perfect. When you download the harmony app you just add a device with the manufacturer and model number. No more looking up codes. The app can be downloaded and installed without buying the remote. Add devices and see if the app says they will work with your device. If it doesn’t the app will tell you why. You can also go to the harmony website and check for compatibility listings. Check it out. You won’t be disappointed