AudioQuest Cable Theory and Cable Designs

2»

Comments

• msg wrote: »
    I recently upgraded my cable from Kimber 4pr to 8tc on my front three, immediate improvement in detail and clarity.
    Interesting design there on the 8tc
    Are you running full-range or bi-wire sets?

2jn96xdlrq9o.png

I am running full range
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited December 2017
    msg wrote: »
    One of the things I saw in my reading was a diagram in one of AQ's documents that I thought was an error at first, but tagged to come back and review. Notice the arrangement of the primary conductors? Diagonal Wiring
    rt4c2fkumyar.png

This morning, I noticed that one of DK's old posts resurfaced, where he details an experiment in the curiosity of diagonal wiring:
    Diagonal Wiring Experiments With The SDA SRS 1.2TL

Now that I realize the AQ diagram wasn't an error, and after seeing DK's post, I'm really curious now about some of this cable theory, and I'm going to try to properly re-terminate these AQ cables and play around with this bi-wiring/diagonal connection idea in the process.

I know there is a lot of voodo with speaker wires and interconnects but I don't see how this diagonal wiring would make any difference electronically. Assuming the jumper has zero resistance (I doubt you can measure it) the voltages/current to each positive and negative terminal is identical. Try drawing a schematic. Never heard where it depends where you hook something to the ground. Its not like the electrons care.

I wonder how they figured this out. According to some it makes a difference but I guarantee they didn't ask an electrical engineer.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited December 2017
    There's a lot of information referenced in my original post.
    Have you read it all? I haven't yet.

I acknowledge that there's some measure of voodoo in audio sometimes, generally speaking. Even if I'm unable to pick it out a performance difference for myself, I'd be open to having it demonstrated and pointed out to me; learning. I'm intrigued now by the science aspect in these theories, and most of this goes beyond simple measurements of signal path resistance with a multimeter.

One of the theories I'm exploring is, as I understand it, essentially feeding the components that can benefit from a clean signal first, then give the "leftovers" to those not requiring the cleanest signal. For the sake of this discussion, that's treble, and bass, respectively.

This theory I read about happening across this AQ documentation (I don't think it's "their" exclusive theory) proposes that a signal path carrying bass energy creates EMI due to the high current, which disrupts the signal path for the mid and higher frequencies. I think that's the idea behind diagonal wiring - feed the fragile stuff first. Supposedly even better addressed with bi-wiring or double bi-wiring. I don't have any experience with this, but it's fun to learn about. Factor in something I found in AQ documentation mentioning about how bass definition is carried in higher frequencies, and you can see that getting the cleanest signal to the upper array can be important in refining overall sound quality.

For the record, a jumper from a pair of LSiM703s measures 0.1Ω resistance (could be less than this, but my meter doesn't get any more sensitive and may be rounding up). It's tiny, sure, but it's not zero, so the assumption that a jumper has zero resistance is incorrect.

You don't think a company like AQ employs any electrical engineers?
    And you can guarantee that? :)
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    They quoted me 376.00 to reterminate the Mammoth cables i had. I did ask for something heavier duty than BFA's as the weight of the cable would of folded those in half.

Ouch!

Do you remember what the terminations were?

I know some of their "higher end" terminations can get pricey.

Not off hand it's been about 3 yrs. but it was one of their bananas that they felt would be better for that cable.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I recently upgraded my cable from Kimber 4pr to 8tc on my front three, immediate improvement in detail and clarity.

The 8TC is a good solid cable, wise choice.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited January 2018
    For what it is worth, my wife bought me a pair of Audioquest Wind interconnect for Christmas. It is a 4m pair, rca.

It would appear that I need it cut (1m 1.5m 1.5m) and reterminated into xlr.

Audioquest quoted me 6 pairs of xlr plugs and 2 dbs units. I already have 1 dbs unit. They said they would have to toss the old rca plugs because they are cold welded and cannot reuse them.

The quote was $680.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Why not just return them and get what you need.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    tonyb wrote: »
    Why not just return them and get what you need.

Because it would cost me $7500 for 3 sets of xlr interconnects at those lengths.

My wife got it from a guy who wanted to part with the AQ Wind 4m rca for a lot less than the retail for a 4m wind. Retail for a 4m wind is 5000$.

My wife reportedly purchased it for $950.

So in the end, I can’t lose.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Thats what i call a bargain,,good score
  • Joey_V
    ptrooper wrote: »

I know, my wife's awesome right? haha
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Yeah, what's the story behind that one?

She responded to an ad on your behalf since you were at work, and sweet talked the guy or what?
    Joey_V wrote: »
    ptrooper wrote: »

I know, my wife's awesome right? haha