Roku Streaming Stick

cfrizz
cfrizz Posts: 13,415
Hi guys. If I bought a Roku Streaming stick and put it in the front MHL/HDMI input of my Oppo 103, would it work and would I get sound through all of my speakers?

If one of you guys have these, could you give it a try a let me know.

Thanks,
Cathy

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    Cathy, I don't have an Oppo but do have a couple Roku boxes.

How is the Oppo connected to your receiver? Or is it connected directly to the TV?

If it's hooked directly to a receiver and the receiver is set up to pass the video to the TV, it should work fine. Or if you have two outputs on the Oppo and one goes to the TV and one to the receiver is should also be fine.

I used to have a stick and I would hook it to one of the HDMI inputs on the back of the receiver and that worked well. Hooking it to the Oppo and then hooking to Oppo to one of the HDMI inputs on a receiver should act the same way, I believe.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    I used a Roku stick in the front of my Oppo 103 for several years to get a better Netflix interface and for HBOGo and it worked fine.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • cfrizz
    edited January 2018
    Hi Jim, I'm trying to maximize my viewing options and get the best sound within reason.

My Oppo is connected to my tv via HDMI. However for the audio I have it connected via IC's and an optical cable from my Sunfire pre to the Oppo.

The optical connector is broken on the tv so I'm using the Netflix app within the Oppo to watch it and get surround sound. But I would like to also be able to get Amazon video, and other movie options.

If I can accomplish that with a Roku stick through the front HDMI input on the Oppo which could utilize all the audio/video capabilities of the Oppo, I would be all set.

I just need to know that it would work before I go and buy a Roku stick
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    If you don't have the MHL/HDMI stick you will have to plug it into a USB with enough voltage. I thick I had mine running off the Oppo usb
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
  • Jimbo18
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Hi Jim, I'm trying to maximize my viewing options and get the best sound within reason.

My Oppo is connected to my tv via HDMI. However for the audio I have it connected via IC's and an optical cable from my Sunfire pre to the Oppo.

The optical connector is broken on the tv so I'm using the Netflix app within the Oppo to watch it and get surround sound. But I would like to also be able to get Amazon video, and other movie options.

If I can accomplish that with a Roku stick through the front HDMI input on the Oppo which could utilize all the audio/video capabilities of the Oppo, I would be all set.

It should work fine set up that way.

You will like the Roku interface for most things and they are a "non-denominational" platform, so have Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, Sling, You Tube, Showtime Anytime, Hulu, Direct TV Now, Google Play, etc. etc. Literally thousands of channels, not all of which are free of course, but many are.

You can use the USB to power it, or you can use the adapter to plug it into a wall socket. Just make sure you get the Streaming Stick+, it's $20 more but has a much faster processor.

b567e6qxpa25.png
  • cfrizz
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I used a Roku stick in the front of my Oppo 103 for several years to get a better Netflix interface and for HBOGo and it worked fine.
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

It should work fine set up that way.

You will like the Roku interface for most things and they are a "non-denominational" platform, so have Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, Sling, You Tube, Showtime Anytime, Hulu, Direct TV Now, Google Play, etc. etc. Literally thousands of channels, not all of which are free of course, but many are.

You can use the USB to power it, or you can use the adapter to plug it into a wall socket. Just make sure you get the Streaming Stick+, it's $20 more but has a much faster processor.

b567e6qxpa25.png

Ok, please clarify for me, can I just use the Streaming Stick+ in this front port and be able to get both picture and sound via the Oppo through to my Sunfire or am I going to have to use something else. Both HDMI ports on the TV are taken so I can't use the TV, plus the optical port on it is busted and the speakers on the tv suck! That's why I'm trying to find a work around.

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    edited January 2018
    I have used the front MHL port for Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV so the Roku stick should be the same. The only issue is the stick needs USB or outlet power. Not sure what the difference in cost is but you could get a normal Roku?
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • cfrizz
    Ok, so I can plug the Roku into the front MHL port and there is a USB port right next to it so I plug the USB connector that is attached to the Roku into the USB port that is next to it so that it can get power to run as shown in the bottom right picture. Correct?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    only if that USB port is powered I believe...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Save your coin Cathy. Your gonna need it to buy me and the wife lunch when we come out to Boston next fall. :p:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Cathy, some USB ports will provide enough power, and some won't. I have a slightly older TV that I plugged a stick into and then tried to use the USB port to power it, and I got a message saying not enough power to stream, or something like that.

That's why I mentioned that you can also plug it into the wall. And yes, it should work fine for both picture and sound hooked up as you describe.

And as sgmsmg mentioned, you can also just get a Roku box, which will have to be plugged into the wall, but it's not infrared so you can put the box anywhere and just run the HDMI cable to the Oppo.
  • cfrizz
    Got it, I will just plug the USB into the plug that is already in my power strip that is next to the rack. It's got a micro connector that I use to recharge my Samsung phone that I use a an MP3 player. :)

You guys are the best!
    tonyb wrote: »
    Save your coin Cathy. Your gonna need it to buy me and the wife lunch when we come out to Boston next fall. :p:)

It would be my pleasure to meet you and your better half next year Tony! Just let me know when you will be in town. So long as it isn't the week of Thanksgiving (I'll be in DC with Mark) I'd be happy to sit down to lunch with you!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Viking64 wrote: »

Meh, You can find a good steak house anywhere, especially in Chi-town

I'd be hunting some good hole in the wall for chowder and lobster rolls...IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Viking64
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Meh, You can find a good steak house anywhere, especially in Chi-town

I'd be hunting some good hole in the wall for chowder and lobster rolls...IMHO

That isn't true of most of New England. Here in Vermont, your best options for steak (at least in the Burlington area) are Outback and Long Horn! :o That is, unless you want to pay $60 for a "boutique", grass-fed, 97% lean steak that tastes like veal. :p

I'll save everyone the horror of my vivid descriptions concerning seafood. o:)

• cfrizz

You really need to get some meds for those grandiose delusions you have!!! :p
  • Viking64
    You really need to get some meds for those grandiose delusions you have!!! :p

I will as soon as I get back from my trip Tahiti with Charlize Theron in my private space shuttle. :p