TL mod on original 2B crossover

hauxon
hauxon Posts: 161
edited January 2018 in Vintage Speakers
Just before new year the mail delivered a pair of RDO198-1 to my home. I'm going to use em for a TL mod for my SDA 2B's. I also have a pair of 5.6uF Claritycap ESA on my desk. Later I'm planning to recap the crossover using gimpod's boards but won't be ordering the parts until Ferbruary or March.

So should I mod the original crossover with the 5.6uF caps I have so I can fit the new tweeters ...or should I be (extremely) patient and wait until I have the everything? :open_mouth:
SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    So basically, you're faced with the complicated problem of deciding whether it's worth 30 minutes of work to be able to listen to the speakers for a month or two. Am I understanding the situation correctly?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Do you have to deal with USPS too?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    nspindel wrote: »
    So basically, you're faced with the complicated problem of deciding whether it's worth 30 minutes of work to be able to listen to the speakers for a month or two. Am I understanding the situation correctly?

...yes :grin:

Well why not.

xschop:
    USPS shipping was actually pretty fast to Iceland.

SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • Not sure if you noticed but the RDO198-1's negative terminal is larger that the SL2000's so you'll need to swap in a larger connector.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Wait and do it right the first time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    F1, doesn't the TL modification put the extra 5.8uF cap in series with the factory 12uf cap?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    xschop wrote: »
    F1, doesn't the TL modification put the extra 5.8uF cap in series with the factory 12uf cap?
    It shunts the 2.7 ohm resistor forming a contour network, which is in series with the 12uf cap.
    To the OP, I'm sure you're itching to get the new tweeters in, but @F1nut is right. Wait till you have everything gathered up for all your internal upgrades, and do it in one shot. That way, you never have to open them up again, theoretically anyway.

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • xschop
    So theoretically, what is the new capacitance value of the tweeter circuit?
  • I took my 2bs a step at a time and found that I should have made a better plan. I would recommend as ^^ have stated. Do all your research, make a plan, buy all the right parts, then mod them once and for all. You will be happy you did jmho!!
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I will be the "ECHO" in the room. Just wait till you have everything, and do it right the first time...
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Yes.....wait.

Get all your goodies, Install them on Gimpods boards. Dynamat all your baskets, then when you're ready to go, put them in a room with a cd on loop, if noise is an issue, face them towards each other about 1" apart, and let them go for about 2 weeks. They will cancel each other out for the most part facing each other but they will sound all over the place during the first few hundred hours.

It's sooo worth it.

Then listen to them.