$40 for LS50

Yes, no? Y'all know my predilections for vintage models. If I get them they'll likely replace the modded 5s in the garage rig. I suspect (from a quick search) that these will be an upgrade?

Discuss!

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    's a no-brainer
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    At that price, why not find out for youself? Can't go wrong.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    True, I hear the parts alone are worth more.

I DIDN'T see any mods for them though, which I find interesting give this forum's love for tweaks. I'll need to find a replacement MW for the one side (I think) as there's a possible shifted magnet, I doubt they were over powered.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    That may put a wrinkle on it if you need a replacement woofer. Not sure but you may want to check on availability, seems I recall the larger woofers in that line were hard to come by, not sure what the LS50's use. But like you said, the parts are probably worth it, especially if woofers are hard to come by.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I saw those as well. Crossover posts are not original and are reversed on one speaker. Someone has been in there before and didn't know what they were doing. Those are parts speakers.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Woofers are pretty easy to come by for those on that auction site. They are interchangeable with the LS-90's. Polk likely still stocks them, also.

Mods would consists of updating a 5.8uF cap and a 1.0 ohm resister and well worth it. You'll have about $140 into them when all is said, and, if the cabinets are in decent shape it's still a bargain.

You could always strip the vinyl and veneer them to put them in your living room - they will sound that good.
  • FestYboy
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I saw those as well. Crossover posts are not original and are reversed on one speaker. Someone has been in there before and didn't know what they were doing. Those are parts speakers.

That's the experience I was looking for!, Thanks @DaveHo

If he responds to me I still think I'll pick them up, hard price to beat.
  • FestYboy
    Ok so I caved and got them... Better shape than I expected. One tweet is discolored? Sounds fine though. I heard the intermittent issue with the one MW, I'll fix it.

Then the gentleman's father came in with these:
    b49a45c556av.jpg
    2ca53xo3rq91.jpg

I suspect the woofers are non stock replacement and stated as such. The father stated that he wasn't sure they weren't stock given the fact he obtained them from the original owner.

Looking for opinions and info to make an educated decision on the potential purchase.
    I was able to listen to them: forward and bright but not harsh. The AVR that was driving them was messing with the bottom end I could tell, but not to what extent.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Not stock. All things EPI: humanspeakers.com/
  • FestYboy
    Excellent, thanks Dave.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2018
    20.00 for the pr. , the Epi.s that is. Maybe 10. That tweeter looks rough.

I don't like inverted teeters for one reason.

I think sound waves will collide all over the place in front of and inside of that dish.

I think there are only 2 Co. that make/ made them for their model lines.

Focal and Epi. inverted tweeters. I don't know. :/

I did just remember Parts Express is selling a 40 or so speaker LINE ARRAY made out of inverted little speakers. 20 or so speakers per line array. 3" or 4" ones I believe.
    The reviewer says they are great if your ceiling isn't that high. And you add a sub.

I believe Epi is long gone but what do I know about Epi.

Except I bought a small pair at a yard sale for 5.00 and found out later they didn't work at all. Every speaker and tweeter was blown..... :s

I've passed on every other rare sightings of them that I've come across. Which is one or two pair in 15 years.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • FestYboy
    Thanks guys. Given the fact that the woofers are unknown replacements and factory type replacements are $60 ea. AND originals just don't exist... I'm gonna pass. He was trying to get $80 as is, and I'd have to sink another $150+ just to get them near correct, there's just no way.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    DSkip wrote: »
    Wilson did too.

Damn...And Wilson has an Outstanding reputation for sound fields too.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.