SVS B4+ purchase - yay or nay

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,621
I have the possibility of buying an SVS B4+ from circa 2003 and wanted to reach out and see if any of y'all ever had extended listening time with that.

I've read some of the posts on here from 2003ish, but I wanted to see what y'all thought about adding that to the mix......
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It appears to be a passive sub, so you'd need an amp to drive it. Other than that, I think their newer subs are more advanced and come with a built in amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    That was my dream sub for so long
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I would say “maybe” depending on what else would be in the mix, including the size of the listening room and the oberall objective.

May be worth reaching out to Ed Mullen at SVS to see what he thinks. For the price of a used one plus a high output pro amp you could find something new and more suited to what you are looking at achieving.
  • brettw22
    edited January 2018
    With a separate amp, sub, and shipping it would be about $1500ish........the end table sized B4+ is a behemoth that might be too hard to resist implementing.

It is massive overkill (aren't they all), for what I would 'need' it for, but it would be fun to have......also might be fun to shatter a window or two if necessary to up the fun factor......

The only qualm I have about the one I'm looking at is it's the lighter maple, so I may plan on sanding/refinishing it to a darker stain......
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    In a way, the sub being passive could be a bit of a plus since you need not worry about the condition of amp caps & the like. I have it's little brother, the Plus/2 with the 12.3 drivers. I've never found its limit. The one you're looking at is a monster, LOL.
  • F1nut
    brettw22 wrote: »
    With a separate amp, sub, and shipping it would be about $1500ish........the end table sized B4+ is a behemoth that might be too hard to resist implementing.

It is massive overkill (aren't they all), for what I would 'need' it for, but it would be fun to have......also might be fun to shatter a window or two if necessary to up the fun factor......

The only qualm I have about the one I'm looking at is it's the lighter maple, so I may plan on sanding/refinishing it to a darker stain......

For $1500 you can get the new SB-4000. Looks better, has remote control and should perform better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    F1nut wrote: »
    For $1500 you can get the new SB-4000. Looks better, has remote control and should perform better.
    Watching the videos on that right now.......i have glimpses of rationality every once in a while, ya know.....

• F1nut
    Of course, you do....

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    Ed was unavailable when I called, but the guy I spoke with said that in order for me to get the same umph as the B4+ I would need two PB13's or 4000's...........tempting tempting tempting......
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Or for about the same price get an F25 from Rythmik. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I vote for something newer. Curious though, what amp were you going to power that monster with?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    The B4 is a monster... Im not so sure SVS makes anything that would directly compare anymore.. :open_mouth:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • brettw22
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I vote for something newer. Curious though, what amp were you going to power that monster with?
    Some sort of Crown 2000-2500w thing.....the guy has as K1 or K2, but I'd want something newer.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I’m using a crown and love it. It’s way too much though (the sub and amp combo). I’ve got it turned down a good bit and keep it off for music. That b4 looks like it would be insane amounts of bass.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    B4 hits 120db at 20hz iirc
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • brettw22
    I have been in China for the past few weeks, so this was on the back seat.........something to think about though for sure....