What is your all time favorite Wine?

I prefer a big fat juicy chewy Cab. My favorite is Frank Family Cabernet Sauvignon.

https://www.frankfamilyvineyards.com/wine/napa-valley/napa-valley-cabernet-sauvignon
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2017
    mantis wrote: »
    I prefer a big fat juicy chewy Cab. My favorite is Frank Family Cabernet Sauvignon.

https://www.frankfamilyvineyards.com/wine/napa-valley/napa-valley-cabernet-sauvignon

Good tastes Dan, but I must say....if you haven't had their reserve Cabs yet, get your game on bro. Flora Springs Trilogy is along the same taste patterns, also good for a red blend. Duckhorns reserve lines are outstanding as well.

Wine is like speakers, hard to pin down a favorite. Amarone, Borolo, Cabs, Zins, Pinot Noir, red blends, all have a spot on my list. Different vintages also change preferences.

BTW....speaking of wine, for the first time I ran into a joint that had high quality wines BY THE GLASS. You never see them by the glass. I stopped into a Ditka's in Oakbrook on the corner of 83 and 22nd for lunch with the wife the other day. Duckhorn, Silver oak, Frank Family, Flowers Pinot Noir and others, by the glass ?? Unheard of....

Plus they have a darn good menu, had the prime rib sandwich which was outstanding. If any of you Chicago crazies are in the area, stop in at Ditka's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    My diet is restricted to no alcohol, except for the occasional Pinot Noir.

The Sea Smoke "Ten" Pinot Noir is my favorite, and I admit that I have not tasted anything like all California Pinots, let alone all Pinots from around the world.

The Sea Smoke link follows:

https://www.seasmoke.com/#ten-pinot-noir-profile
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2017
    That's a tough, tough call --

1974 Simi cabernet or 1978 Robert Mondavi cabernet (i.e., the "real" Robert Mondavi -- anyone reading a thread like this one probably knows that the Mondavi family cold have been the model for the old TV prime-time soap Falcon Crest :p )

Both 1974 and 1978 were outstanding vintages for cabernet sauvignon in Northern CA; helped put CA wines on the world map.

Historically, I like big, chewy Zinfandels; late 1970s Davis Bynum (Russian River valley) were wonderful. Zins got kind of overheated in the 1990s, though -- with ridiculous alcohol content. Similar to the fate that befell (American) chardonnays, I think the red Zins became caricatures of themselves when they got a bit popular :(

Lately, we've been drinking, and enjoying, Malbecs. We had friends from Baltimore who "discovered" them on a hunting trip to (if memory serves) Argentina long before they became popular in the US (i.e., we were "early adopters"). We had a great one for Christmas dinner (with prime rib and Yorkshire pudding! :) ) -- don't remember the vintner though :p

In terms of the great French Bordeaux crus (is that the plural of cru?) (Petrus, Margaux, etc.) -- any that I could ever afford to buy... really aren't that good. :(

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I like ones with alcohol in them... :*

Admittedly I'm a Moscato snob...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Been awhile since I played heavily with wines, but one of my favorites was David Bruce wineries especially their--Pinot Noir
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    nbrowser wrote: »
    My fave wines are the ones that taste good and get me loaded fastest. :smiley:

Go for a warm bottle of Night Train..Cisco...or Sly Fox grape!....LOL!..
  • mhardy6647
    Msabot1 wrote: »

You forgot Mad Dog 20/20
    https://www.md2020wine.com/
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    You forgot Mad Dog 20/20

And Boone's Farm.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2017
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

You forgot Mad Dog 20/20

When I was 17 till now, that MD20/20 was believed to be the reason guys were homeless. It was rumored that when the guys pan-handled, they were wanting money so they could by more MD 20/20. I'm serious too.

@Viking64 ,We stuck with Boones Farm ( LOL ) Strawberry Fields. It got us there pretty cheaply too. :s More than once I might ad. ;)

I haven't drank much at all in the past 30 years. So no comment on up-to-date flavors or recommendations.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    My favorite whine?

“I’ve fallen and I can’t get up...”
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Ken, I have thought about that. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    That comes out to about a bottle a day for a year... Or one yuuuuge party, as Ken has suggested.

First to pass out gets a complimentary face painting >:)
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    My favorite whine?

“I’ve fallen and I can’t get up...”

I want to go to Miami..........
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    BlueFox wrote: »
    My favorite whine is complaining about our, ... oops, sorry, no politics. :)

I have gallons of the stuff, and rarely drink it. LOL.

We're in the same boat these days. We love the stuff, but we've both lost a lot of weight in the past few years and, frankly, for our calories (more to the point, WeightWatchers "points") -- we'd both rather eat than drink. :)

We actually have a little wine cellar in the basement of this house; nothing fancy but functional. It's still got some wine in it, too... maybe I'll snap a photo if I can beat the cobwebs back :|

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I have had a few expensive bottles of wine, $100+, including a very nice Penfolds which was much more than that, but they were all given to me. I mainly stick to sub-$25 bottles since I am the only one in the house that drinks wine.

I get just as much enjoyment from a good $20 bottle as I did from that $400 Penfolds (which admittedly was a little too young). The best sub-$25 wine I have had was a couple bottles of 1999 Simi Cab which I stored for about 6 years. Great year for California cabs and a great example of one of them.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Bali Hai :D
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I like ones with alcohol in them... :*

Admittedly I'm a Moscato snob...

Moscato is soda pop for wine drinkers. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    I have had a few expensive bottles of wine, $100+, including a very nice Penfolds which was much more than that, but they were all given to me. I mainly stick to sub-$25 bottles since I am the only one in the house that drinks wine.

I get just as much enjoyment from a good $20 bottle as I did from that $400 Penfolds (which admittedly was a little too young). The best sub-$25 wine I have had was a couple bottles of 1999 Simi Cab which I stored for about 6 years. Great year for California cabs and a great example of one of them.
    Under $20 a bottle I really like The Dreaming Tree Cab which is a California wine.
    https://www.dreamingtreewines.com/2015-the-dreaming-tree-cabernet-sauvignon-california
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Jimbo18
    mantis wrote: »

Under $20 a bottle I really like The Dreaming Tree Cab which is a California wine.
    https://www.dreamingtreewines.com/2015-the-dreaming-tree-cabernet-sauvignon-california

I have had Dreaming Tree, but not in a long time. I will have to revisit it. Thanks.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    A nice Malbec will do for me. No specific brand.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Jimbo18
    Not my favorite, but a nice red I am drinking currently, Etrusca Velia red wine. A blend of Zinn, Primitivo and Petite Sirah from Russian River Valley. I haven't never been a big Zinfandel fan, but with the blend, this isn't bad. Christmas gift from the boss.

k4m0c5yxdfdk.jpg

d330dp16j3cs.jpg
  • Been one my wife's and my favorite for decades. Pairs nicely with about any food or just sipping. Usually south of $10 a bottle and consistent throughout the years.

8yzryt3bl4td.jpg
  • Jimbo18
    Been one my wife's and my favorite for decades. Pairs nicely with about any food or just sipping. Usually south of $10 a bottle and consistent throughout the years.

8yzryt3bl4td.jpg

I have had that several times starting in 2003. It was rated one of the top 100 wine values by Wine Spectator that year. Excellent value.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    "I wanna go to Florida!"
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    afterburnt wrote: »
    "I wanna go to Florida!"

This time of year, apparently everyone does. :)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Ain't that the truth
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • BlueMDPicker
    I have had that several times starting in 2003. It was rated one of the top 100 wine values by Wine Spectator that year. Excellent value.

My first exposure to it was in late '73 early '74 by a wine merchant fresh off a buying trip. It's remained consistent that long.

• BlueMDPicker
    Ain't that the truth

Yep, and with the explosive boom in residential starts (in my county at least), very many are never returning to the cold.