What amp should I use for LSi25’s?

As you probably know I got some LSi25’s. I had a onkyo amp that could push 4 ohms and sounded pretty good with them, but it bit the dust yesterday (it wasn’t the speakers that caused it, I think they were just the last straw. It has been having problems for a while.) anyway, I now need a new amplifier. I can’t decide if I should go with a power amplifier, or get a 2 channel, or another avr that can push four ohms. Also, what wattage should I look for? I can only find maximum wattage ratings on the internet, no rms ratings. And then, what brands/models should I look for? I would love to get another Yamaha, onkyo, or Denon, as I have had good experiences with them in the past, but I’m okay with other options as well. I also need something that is high quality, and sounds good, and is relatively new (late 90s is as late as I want to go) I would prefer not to get a tube amp, just because they are more expensive and may not blend well with the types of music I listen to (classic jazz, classic rock, and (occasionally) hip hop). Unfortunately, I need this all for around $200, I would prefer not to go over that number. Thanks for any replies and help you guys can give me.

Micah
Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
Main setup:
Speakers are one of three, Mission Freedom 770 IV’s, Polk LSi25’s, or Polk SDA-CRS (stock XO, SL2000’s, Blade/Blade model). Electronics are as follows: for the LSi’s and SDA’s, a Technics SU-v75 acting as a phono preamp, into a Yamaha RX-v665, into a Crown XLi800 power amplifier. For the Missions, I have a Lafayette LR-1100. Turntable is a Technics SL-3200, with a Shure M97xE. Cables are generic/soon to be replaced garbage.
An old post I found on AK, from 2013.
I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,227
    There isn't an AVR made that is truly capable of driving 4 ohm loads. The 4 ohm option simply limits current in an effort to save the AVR from damage. So, I've made your decision easier, you need a power amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,896
    Ok. Would a 2 channel amp (the kind with an a and b channel, where both are just left and right) work? I would prefer not to have to use a power amplifier because I can’t find any that are decent for a good price that aren’t a couple hundred watts.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup:
    Speakers are one of three, Mission Freedom 770 IV’s, Polk LSi25’s, or Polk SDA-CRS (stock XO, SL2000’s, Blade/Blade model). Electronics are as follows: for the LSi’s and SDA’s, a Technics SU-v75 acting as a phono preamp, into a Yamaha RX-v665, into a Crown XLi800 power amplifier. For the Missions, I have a Lafayette LR-1100. Turntable is a Technics SL-3200, with a Shure M97xE. Cables are generic/soon to be replaced garbage.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,227
    edited December 2017
    You will need a pre amp if you buy a power amp. Otherwise, you can use an AVR for the pre amp to go with a power amp. I'm afraid I have no suggestions in your price range.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Ok, thanks
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup:
    Is there really no AVR that you can buy that pushes four ohms, or is that just in this price range? I might be able to find a deal at one of the local flea markets to buy a higher end one, but if they don’t really push four ohms then it wouldn’t really work
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup:
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 2,479
    If your budget is fixed at that price, I would go for an older model premium receiver with preamp outputs. You will need to use the volume sparingly with the receiver as the LSi's are hard loads to drive. One of the good buys may be the Pioneer VSX 1015 or VSX 1016 receivers which were basically rebadged Pioneer elite receivers. They are both only rated for 6 ohm loads, when the LSi's are 4 ohm speakers, so be careful with that volume. But these receivers will tide you over to when you can buy a dedicated amp, and will then play the role of just the preamp.
    I already have my Yamaha rx-v665 that I can use as a preamp if I get a power amplifier, what I am asking is can I use a 2 channel like this amplifier: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/fuBZuqO5_h4RAlzDtCzRB_xzK7E=/fit-in/970x0/2013/09/13/8a2c158e-6de1-11e3-913e-14feb5ca9861/back_large.jpg
    This one is almost the same as the one I used to have that died yesterday
    Sorry, my question was not very clear.
    Micah
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup:
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,585
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I already have my Yamaha rx-v665 that I can use as a preamp if I get a power amplifier, what I am asking is can I use a 2 channel like this amplifier: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/fuBZuqO5_h4RAlzDtCzRB_xzK7E=/fit-in/970x0/2013/09/13/8a2c158e-6de1-11e3-913e-14feb5ca9861/back_large.jpg
    This one is almost the same as the one I used to have that died yesterday
    Sorry, my question was not very clear.
    Micah

No, and that's a big NO. That's a receiver, not an amplifier, and a very weak one at that. If that's what you used prior, or similar, that's why it's toast now.

You need an amplifier in conjunction with either a pre-amp or receiver with preouts. Then you'll need 2 rca cables to hook it up.

You have, in my view, too much speaker for the electronics you have to run it. This leaves you 2 choices. Sell them for some other speaker that is 8 ohm, or save your coin and buy a used amp. There is no work around to powering them correctly.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,585
    This is one example of what you should be looking for.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649391951-parasound-hca1200-power-amp-205wpc/

You can also check your local craigslist, which city do you live in btw ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 2,479
    Yes that RXV665 does have full preamp outputs, so you could use it as your preamp. Do not attempt to drive the LSi25s directly from that 665 - it does not have the capability to drive those speakers at all with its built in amps. You need to get an external power amplifier. The one that tonyb linked is a good one. Other brands you should consider are Adcom, Rotel, NAD. Look for a 2 channel amp - not a receiver.

If you want something to tide you over, your cheapest option is to go with a studio amp that is designed to drive 4 ohm loads. I have a Behringer A500 that can safely drive a 4 ohm load I'd be willing to part with for cheap if you are interested. A studio amp will be less refined than the one that tonyb linked, but it will do the job, and do it safely.
  • acmf74acmf74 Posts: 848
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Is there really no AVR that you can buy that pushes four ohms, or is that just in this price range? I might be able to find a deal at one of the local flea markets to buy a higher end one, but if they don’t really push four ohms then it wouldn’t really work

I have Adcom GFR-700 AVR and it pushed my lsi15's wonderfully.
    SORry, I meant I will use that as my preamp, not my real amp. And ok, so that onkyo (or a similar amplifier) won’t work. I only drove each speaker for a short period of time with either of those amps, because one died (finally) and one you guys said was not sufficient, so I haven’t used it since. So I’m going to leave them sitting, and for now I’m going to save up. Until then I’m going to use some Boston speakers. I will check out that amp you linked. Also, those infinity speakers are apparently worth a good bit more than I thought so that brings my max price to about 400-500 dollars. Thank you all so much for your help, if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
    Micah
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup:
    Also, I forgot to mention this before, I live in the Orlando FL area.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup:
    Anonymouse how much would you want for it?
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup: