Poll: What's the better upgrade

My current 2-channel system consists of the following.
Parasound A21 amp
PS Audio PerfectWave MKII/Bridge II
Eastern Electric pre-amp w/Tom Tutay mods
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL speakers

I'm streaming via dedicated and optimized PC over a wired network that consists of just the PC and PerfectWave, no internet, no wireless enabled.

I've got the opportunity to "upgrade" to the PS Audio DirectStream for an out of pocket price of around $1800 plus my PerfectWave or sell the ML's and add $1800 onto the price I could get for them ($1600 or so ???) for a speaker upgrade.

What do you think the best upgrade path would be?

2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I think the best upgrade path would be for you to send me your A21 to power my 2.3TL's. :p
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Ha ha...well unfortunately for you the amp is the likeliest to stay in the system :^ )
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dragon1952
    I might also ask, is there anything out there under say $2800 or so that would rival the PerfectWave MKII/Bridge II combo.
  • dragon1952
    edited December 2017
    OK...never mind. I had a killer deal on the DirectStream, and it was now or never, so that's the direction I decided to go for now. I'll deal with the wife later :^ )
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    What do you feel the ESL's are lacking or your sound is lacking? That's a pretty nice set-up. Room Treatments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cables!!!!!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Thorton wrote: »
    What do you feel the ESL's are lacking or your sound is lacking? That's a pretty nice set-up. Room Treatments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cables!!!!!

Q-tips? Awesome system but just about everyone here knows the disease.
  • dragon1952
    delkal wrote: »

Q-tips? Awesome system but just about everyone here knows the disease.

Yes...I should add that I'm a senior citizen with Q-Tip damage to the ear drums and extreme high frequency hearing loss in both ears, in addition to an abnormal low-frequency hearing loss in one ear :^ /
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471

Room treatments did wonders for my system.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • dragon1952
    Well I have been salivating (that's the GP version) for a DirectStream but thought I'd never be able to afford one, but I got a ridiculously good deal on one so I went for it. It's even got the Bridge II and for less than 4G's. If I sell my PerfectWave MKII/Bridge II and my 2 guitars, which I never play anymore anyway, I can break even on this deal. I am so freakin' stoked :^ ) (do they say that anymore?)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Given the level of your equipment already, I would look to different speakers for a change of pace.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    I would've said speakers. Good luck w/ the directstream
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Well I have been salivating (that's the GP version) for a DirectStream but thought I'd never be able to afford one, but I got a ridiculously good deal on one so I went for it. It's even got the Bridge II and for less than 4G's. If I sell my PerfectWave MKII/Bridge II and my 2 guitars, which I never play anymore anyway, I can break even on this deal. I am so freakin' stoked :^ ) (do they say that anymore?)

Could be a micro-aggression pal, but congrats anyway. Let us know your thoughts when you get your seat warmed up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dragon1952
    Holy schkemoly.....this Directstream kicks butt. If you've compared different components in your systems over the years like I have, going on something like 26 years now for me, you have the ones that bring a smile to your face, then you might have one that in addition makes you tap your feet, and then ones that makes you smile, tap your feet and nod your head at the same time, and then you have something like this that makes you literally dance in your chair. For those that can't comprehend that, some of us are too old to get up and dance so imagine doing something comparable while sitting in a chair. That's what this does. And I don't even have it set up optimally yet. I am just astounded so far.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2018
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Holy schkemoly.....this Directstream kicks butt. If you've compared different components in your systems over the years like I have, going on something like 26 years now for me, you have the ones that bring a smile to your face, then you might have one that in addition makes you tap your feet, and then ones that makes you smile, tap your feet and nod your head at the same time, and then you have something like this that makes you literally dance in your chair. For those that can't comprehend that, some of us are too old to get up and dance so imagine doing something comparable while sitting in a chair. That's what this does. And I don't even have it set up optimally yet. I am just astounded so far.

Now that there is the NIRVANA I'm on a journey to experience! B)

I've made it up to the last step so far. B)

One more to go.

Maybe 2 steps to go. I need to get up and dance like my wife does dammit! :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.