Just purchased a pair of SDA SRS. Should I upgrade them or leave them alone?

Interconnect are two flat bars, one wider than the other

Best Answers

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Answer ✓
    At least you got them. :)
    They were 3K new. I hope you got them cheaper .
    Now move forward.......

You can upgrade slowly if your budget restricts you some.
    Pictures help us to know how to help you.

Try to get some pics posted asap.
    Welcome to the SDA-SRS LEVEL.... B)

Also, post your thoughts about their sound.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Answer ✓
    First things first. Once you have listened to see they are working properly add some RDO194's tweeters. Some pictures would be great. The updated tweeters are available directly from Polk and they will sound sweet when compared to the stock SL2000's.

Here's a link you'll want to check out if you haven't already.

vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev2.pdf
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Answers

• DM2
    DM2 Posts: 20
    Wish I had read this forum before I purchased these. I think I overpaid. Ohh well
  • DM2
    Have had these for a few months, replacing my rt-3000's with 2 blown sub drivers I believe. Those are now in the garage with my long time SDA 2's that need multiple driver replacements due to a demonic cat I had about 20 years ago. Lol.
    Trying to figure out how to post pics from my iPhone, may have to pull out the laptop. They are in perfect condition, x-overs and all drivers work flawlessly.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.
  • DM2
    I paid a pretty steep price looking at some of the other threads. $1200. But they are flawless. Was under the impression that the original SDA SRS weighed 135 lb each and a later model weighed 185 ea? Moving these with an appliance dolly, and having some experience with weight, these definately seem like the 185's. Short of trying to shimmy one on my bathroom scale..... Thoughts?
  • DM2
    Thanks for the handbook link TNT, my answer may be there
  • DM2
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    There was only one version of the SDA SRS and they weigh 185lbs. each.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    DM2 wrote: »
    I paid a pretty steep price looking at some of the other threads. $1200. But they are flawless. Was under the impression that the original SDA SRS weighed 135 lb each and a later model weighed 185 ea? Moving these with an appliance dolly, and having some experience with weight, these definately seem like the 185's. Short of trying to shimmy one on my bathroom scale..... Thoughts?

You might have seen that the SDA-SRS 2's weigh 135.

You probably did fine on the price. B)

Well you have experience with SDA's already. Do you have the needed open space for such gigantic speakers to breath ?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    For a pristine pair, excellent price. You'll need plenty of clean, high current power from a common ground amp, and upgrades will be somewhat costly.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Upgrades can be pricey. If done in steps, its not that bad. New Tweeters first along with cabinet sealing. Crossover rebuild second. If any interest, i have my original crossovers that I have offered for free plus the cost of shipping for a core to be rebuilt so as not to be without speakers in the meantime. VR3 or westmassguy can help with the crossovers. Welcome to the rabbit hole
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • DM2
    I figure my next step is a high current amp, and.... Well everything else.... Have the support of my wife, she's all in, so that's good.
  • DM2
    This is where I may come into some ridicule, but I am forced to use what I have. Using an old Yamaha rx-v2700 in 2 channel atm. I know it's bad, not pushing them too hard. And an even older velodyne va 1215XII to help with the bottom end.
  • DM2
    Any thoughts on an adcom gfa-555 or better? They come up often where I live. Any suggestions on a good amp are well appreciated
  • DM2
    have no idea what those tweeters run, sbb2112. I need to look into that
  • DM2
    Have an old NAD 7100x that I was using for the SDA 2's... Not sure if that would be an improvement
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    "Any thoughts on an adcom gfa-555 or better? They come up often where I live. Any suggestions on a good amp are well appreciated"

The adcom gfa-555 is a decent budget amp. I have one and have been happy with it. If you can get one locally in good shape and a decent price, I would give it a try.
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    They are like $49 ea. or so new from polk. club polk member price. the sl2000's are awful in comparison.bolt in replacements. The parasound amp I run on my SDA2's did a pretty good job when I had it hooked up to the SDA's. I picked up that on ebay for $400. 315wpc at 4 ohm.
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • DM2 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on an adcom gfa-555 or better? They come up often where I live. Any suggestions on a good amp are well appreciated

Where are you at? I have a GFA 5802 I'd part with. I also have a GFA 5500.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited November 2017
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

Those common ground? Some later series are not.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

Those common ground? Some later series are not.

DarqueKnight provide me the answer a few years ago.
    "When using Adcom 5000 series amps with early blade/blade SDA's or SDA SRS's, the negative speaker terminals at the amp must be connected.

When using Adcom 5000 series amps with later pin/blade SDA's or SRS's, the negative speaker terminals do not have to be connected."

I did run a jumper from neg to neg with my pin/blade 2.3's and pin/ blade SDA's. They run fine without the neg being connected too, but I used mine connected. I tried it both ways and found no difference. I tend to swap speakers around, that way I don't have to worry which speakers I use.

I have a 1k Dreadnought that I use with my 2.3's now. That was a nice sound improvement.

• Here's a good post about it.
    stogie wrote: »
    My Adcom 5802 has the neg terminals strapped and plays my SDA SRS's without a problem. Before strapping the resistance was 200ohms, after strapping .3 ohms. Below is some information I saved from a post by DK- in quotes.

"My email to Adcom on 11/12/2000:
    Subject: Adcom GFA-5802 with Polk Audio SDA-1B speakers
    "Is the GFA-5802 a "common ground" amplifier? My speaker specifications state that only common ground amplifiers must be used. I just purchased a GFA-5802. The sound from the speakers seemed "echoey" and out of phase. When I removed the interconnecting phase array cable from between the speakers, the sound was normal. I was previously using an Adcom GFA-555 amp and never experienced this problem. Any ideas on what is causing this?"

Adcom's response on 11/14/2000:
    "There are 2 options for you to do. You can get a cable from Polk for those speakers, the AI-1 cable. This connects the 2 speakers and deals with the common ground problem. The other option is to take a piece of speaker wire and run it between the 2 negative terminals of the amplifier that you are using. This will not hurt the amp at all so dont worry about that. This a problem that has been common with the 5800, 5802, and 5500, all our newer amps and those model speakers.
    Thanks and good listening Adcom" "

In my case the AI-1 cable was not an option but strapping worked fine. According to Adcom's reply, it is ok to strap the 5800 too.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Perfect that is what i thought.
  • While you're moving them around with or without a dolley, make sure to set them back down softly. Virgin vintage Polks are a little fragile.
  • sansuibutch
    sansuibutch Posts: 198
    edited December 2017
    Slapaho wrote: »
    While you're moving them around with or without a dolley, make sure to set them back down softly. Virgin vintage Polks are a little fragile.

Specially the magnets. I ordered two replacements off the big site and one came with a shifted magnet. I told the seller about it and he sent another one free of charge. Definetly need to glue those up
    Post edited by sansuibutch on
  • I listened to mine for a little bit before upgrading/updating them. It didn't take long to start the project. Well worth the update.