Why are the LSi25 plate amps so unreliable?

If you have already read my previous discussions then you know that I got some LSi25 speakers and one of the amp boards wasn’t working. I was trying to figure out what was wrong with it, and as I was thinking, I said to myself, "why are they so unreliable?” Is there some sort of problem that was missed in testing that was never fixed? I wouldn’t know because I’ve only really followed them for a week.

Thanks,
Micah

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Ok, then.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    First time I've ever read of one breaking......
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Another thread about BMW's? Oops, misread that, carry on.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I’ve been told on my other threads that they don’t last very long, unreliable wasn’t the right word. I meant something more along the lines of they don’t last long, sorry :#
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I’ve been told on my other threads that they don’t last very long, unreliable wasn’t the right word. I meant something more along the lines of they don’t last long, sorry :#

Never heard that personally and a ton of guys here have had them....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Hello @mlistens03, we can take a look at the amp boards at our service center in Vista, CA. We will do a free evaluation and then call you with an estimate if we can repair them. Most likely these were purchased second hand so we can't be sure how the last owner treated them. The original LSi line is bordering on 15 years old at this point, we don't know how they were handled before.
  • mlistens03
    These ones definitely were not taken great care of as I did get them at goodwill, I had heard elsewhere that they were unreliable, I guess I heard wrong. I also didn’t realize they were that old, so now it makes more sense. Any amplifier has a chance of going bad afterthat long, I a actually thought they were only like 5 years old, which is why I was thinking why are they so unreliable.
    Sorry!
    Micah
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    That's the chance you take with goodwill speakers, you never know how they were treated beforehand. Same goes for buying from strangers on Ebay or the likes.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    Definitely. But so far I’ve gotten pretty lucky. I’ve bought several different pairs of speakers at miscellaneous flea markets and garage sales and the like, and this is the first real problem I’ve ever had (aside from dry rotted surrounds)
    The cabinets are structurally sound, but are beat up, and under the sub driver on one speaker the veneer is actually peeling off. But the crossovers and drivers are good, and the one amp that is bad I can fix or replace.
    Thanks guys, all of you have helped a lot.
    Micah
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I'm surprised someone would drop a speaker of that caliber off at Goodwill broken amp or not.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited December 2017
    I have had to replace one of my LSi25 amps...they're not cheap. Think I paid $325
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mlistens03
    The cabinets are pretty much gone though, while they aren’t bad enough that they would hurt the quality, they are not pretty. Someone’s wife might have said “no more!” And taken all of the stuff to goodwill, not realizing the value of them.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited December 2017
    The only LSi I cared for was the 7 outside that I was never a fan of the LSi line, not a fan of powered subs in speakers..

Maybe I never heard them in the right system...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    The only LSi I cared for was the 7 outside that I was never a fan of the LSi line, not a fan of powered subs in speakers..

Maybe I never heard them in the right system...

I'll agree that the 25's aren't great for music but do well for me for HT. I haven't played music with them in years
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mlistens03
    They definitely sound better to me than my infinity crescendos, but they are a very different sound, I think it is more of a preference
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm surprised someone would drop a speaker of that caliber off at Goodwill broken amp or not.

I am also BUT if you itemize your taxes could you not say they were worth 3000.00 or something ridiculous like that?
    I mean goodwill gives you the slip and you fill in the blanks
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited December 2017
    Deleted...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson