Emotiva PT-100 (New Product) Thoughts?

RamZet
RamZet Posts: 792
What are our thoughts on this new budget piece from Emotiva?
It's a Pre-amp and DAC for $299.99
( There is also a integrated amp version for $399.99)

I think this thing paired with a Sonos would be a sweet deal.

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/pt-100
B&W CM9Classé Sigma

Comments

• Not much love for Emotiva around here, but for the feature set at $299 what's to lose. Get it and tell us what you think. You might get others amped for one too.

I just got a Parasound zdac v.2 (silver face $299 from AA) and I'm loving it. No money and my ears ain't what they used to be, but I'm in heaven.
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited July 2016
    My knee jerk is It's entry level, forget about it.
    Do you need an FM tuner? The Phono is good if it's the same one as in
    there XSP-1.
    BasX A-100 may be fun for a second system, tucked away somewhere
    or the kid running off to college.

• [Deleted User]
    and only a three year warranty.
    Made in USA?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I'd rather have an entry level Yamaha integrated. They have one for $299 100 watts x 2, network ready, 192/24 FLAC playback, Pandora, digital input, app to control from phone/tablet...
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    My thoughts would be that it's going to ampliy sound. Remember that even though th price is cheap they are still making a profit on it. You are not going to get great sound that's for sure but if your not using great speakers and not really listening to it in a critical way then blow a few hundred. If you want something that is convenient then I certainly has that going for it and may be just what you need.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Sounds, I mean, it reads to be intriguing. I think it's small size, all in one form factor would be a good choice for something that may not be "critical" listening.

I would get a few to run some in-ceilings no doubt, if I had to.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Too cheap to sound good is my gut reaction. Why do companies continue to waste money sticking a tuner in? Who listens to terrestrial radio anymore, especially in a "hi-fi" system. Put that money into better parts and dump the tuner.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,707
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Too cheap to sound good is my gut reaction. Why do companies continue to waste money sticking a tuner in? Who listens to terrestrial radio anymore, especially in a "hi-fi" system. Put that money into better parts and dump the tuner.

I don't, but apparently more people listen to radio than watch TV.

http://www.newsgeneration.com/broadcast-resources/radio-facts-and-figures/

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited July 2016
    I may give one of the a try...since my wharfedales haven't sold I may put them in the home office with one of these and my pro-just turntable.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    I like its compactness, seems like a cool part for a starter system or for a minimalist.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    I haven't perused the Emotiva site lately, so I clicked the link you provided RamZet.
    Kind of surprised when I saw a section for "Turntables" ?!

I can't say I keep track of Emotiva's offerings, but how long have they been offering Music Hall tables ? Just curious, not trying to derail the thread or start a war here.
    o:)
    Sal Palooza
  • [Deleted User]
    We are once again arguing about what is the best
    Chuck Norris movie. :p
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    I'm guessing because the "higher end" stuff couldn't run with even the entry level stuff from Parasound, Marantz, Adcom, Cambridge, NAD, etc. So start pushing entry level pieces to maintain market share.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • I see no specs anywhere on the tuner .. even in the manual ... not good if they don't reveal this .. so I asked them if they cd send, and they said they would look into it ... that was 5 days ago... obviously entry-level stuff here, and the tuner must be terrible, so this is a no-go for me ...
    ** Bill Clark Windham, VT **
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    who disturbs this thread's slumber?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited December 2017
    kappclark wrote: »
    I see no specs anywhere on the tuner .. even in the manual ... not good if they don't reveal this .. so I asked them if they cd send, and they said they would look into it ... that was 5 days ago... obviously entry-level stuff here, and the tuner must be terrible, so this is a no-go for me ...

Well OK then...