LSi amp worth fixing?

mlistens03
mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
edited December 2017 in Electronics
I got a pair of LSi25s yesterday and one of the amps are broken. I can send it to someone to get it fixed, or I could send it to Polk, but I don’t know if it would be worth it. I don’t know how much it is to send it to Polk, but it is almost $200 shipped to send it to the other 3rd party person. I already have $50 into these speakers, is it worth another’s $200 to get it fixed?

Thanks,
Micah
Post edited by mlistens03 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Only you can be the judge if it's worth fixing. Before sending it off though, I'd take a look at the crossovers too, make sure either one isn't blown. If the crossovers are toast, and the built in amps are toast, then to me, no...they aren't worth fixing and you could probably get your 50 back by parting them out.

I'd also make sure if you do fix them, you have something proper to power them with like a good external amp as they are a 4 ohm speaker.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    Yeah, the crossovers are fine, they definitely play perfectly, it’s just this sub that is the problem. I’m also looking into something that will give them enough power, but for right now I’ve got a Yamaha rx-v665. Definitely will replace it in the future though.
    Thanks!
  • mlistens03
    THis sub isn’t something that I have to fix right? Cant I just unplug the sub and not use it? Or is that bad for the speaker in some way?
  • tonyb
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    THis sub isn’t something that I have to fix right? Cant I just unplug the sub and not use it? Or is that bad for the speaker in some way?

It will sound off, as the plate amp in the speaker powers the lower woofer for those bass notes below midrange. You can unplug both, and use them, but you might want to add a subwoofer into the mix.

2nd....you can't use them with that receiver you have or you will smoke the crossovers.

Polk might be able to guide you as to what plate amp you can buy to replace the bad one. Maybe parts express might have a replacement but you have to get some guidance as to which would work for those speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    At best, your looking at spending some coin to replace/repair the amp on one speaker. Plus the cost of an amplifier which used, your looking at 3-500 bucks more. If you don't want to invest that much, sell them as they are now and move on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I think Polk fixes the amps for pretty cheap but there’s no getting around expensive shipping. Those amps aren’t exactly made of balsa wood.
  • tonyb
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Those amps aren’t exactly made of balsa wood.

Considering their longevity, one might think otherwise. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    edited December 2017
    I already had a 10” sub that I was using before which is four ohms and I think is 150 watts, would that work for powering the sub? I would just have to run a cable from my Velodyne amp to the 10”, right?

Would my onkyo tx-v940 amp work? It’s only a two channel, but it pushes four ohms. But would you guys say this amp is powerful enough for these speakers? I think it has a total of 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, however I don’t know how accurate that number is, and how much it would be into 4 ohms...

Thanks,
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    I should mention, I already have a pair of infinity crescendo 3007s, are these towers better speakers? Because if not I don’t think it would be worth it to spend several hundred bucks to get these speakers into working condition if they aren’t as good as the ones I already have
  • mlistens03
    Tony, thanks for your help and feedback, I wasn’t concerned about the crossovers, just the amp overheating. I would like to ask however, would this setup work at lower volume so for only about an hour just so I can compare it to my speakers I already own? Preferably without damage to the amp or speakers
  • tonyb
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Tony, thanks for your help and feedback, I wasn’t concerned about the crossovers, just the amp overheating. I would like to ask however, would this setup work at lower volume so for only about an hour just so I can compare it to my speakers I already own? Preferably without damage to the amp or speakers

At low volumes, that would be a hard comparison to make. LSI's need current to wake them up, something your receiver doesn't have at any volume.

I can tell you, if your used to the Infinity sound, the LSI's are a complete different sound. They have a more laid back presentation, but with more detail than the Infinitys. If your looking for a party speaker, these aren't them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    I can tell you, if your used to the Infinity sound, the LSI's are a complete different sound. They have a more laid back presentation, but with more detail than the Infinitys. If your looking for a party speaker, these aren't them.[/quote]

Yeah, me and my dad listened to them yesterday and compared them, and the infinities sounded better to him, but I think I like the sound of the Polks more. So it is looking like the infinities are going to go to the living room to replace the speakers that are down there already
  • mlistens03
    Sorry the quote thing did not work
  • mlistens03
    I’m definitely going to, but my four ohm amp literally bit the dust yesterday, so I’m going to wire it so that I can use my old subs amp for now so that I can get a 4 ohm amp