MagniFi Mini subwoofer rumble

Hi,

I just got the Polk MagniFi Mini subwoofer, and I noted a constant rumble from the subwoofer, when the TV is on, and the volume is low. It's like the subwoofer can't really handle the low volume and therefore gives a constant rumble, as if the subwoofer is broken or something.

I've tried to turn down the bass to see if that helped, but with no success. There's still that low rumble when people are talking in the movie/TV show and stuff like that.. a bit annoying, since the sound in general is great!

Comments

• Hello,
    What is providing the source? Cable/satellite dish? Downloading? If so what device?
    Regards, Ken
  • I'm watching Netflix on a brand new 2017 LG TV, with cabled fiber Internet (so no WiFi connection). :) It doesn't matter if it's Family Guy in Full HD, or any other movie in 4K UHD... As soon as the content is running on the TV, in a volume level that is not EXTREMELY LOUD, then I can hear that constant rumble from the subwoofer, as if it recieves a "bass signal" but just barely enough to trigger the speaker unit, so it just turns into a rumble!

I'm using HDMI ARC between the TV and speaker-unit! Also tried with that Digital Fiber optics output. No difference.
  • Okay, thanks for the info. As a test can you try connecting an RCA type cable from the audio output on the TV and the analogue input on the bar?
  • I am having this exact same issue. I brought back the first unit and exchanged it, thinking there was a problem with the subwoofer. The second unit does the same thing. I’ve tried optical and ARC, though those wired connections are to the bar, not to the subwoofer. Either setup results in the same problem. I understand you wanting to test the RCA/analogue connection, but my guess is most people are buying this sound bar to get the best quality sound out of their system. As for me, unless there is a solid fix, I will be returning it.
  • I've tried everything. Moving the subwoofer around, with all different cables included and still the same.

The sound quality is amazing, so it's really disappointing that the subwoofer has this annoying issue. Unfortunately, I cannot return mine anymore. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed with a software update in the future.

Also, I've noticed some electrical noise from the subwoofer.. Sound like a small siren of noise coming from within the subwoofer. I guess it's the power supply inside, since it continues a bit after I unplug it, and then goes away when there is no power going into the unit.

I can live with that though.. but the rumbling noise from the subwoofer is f...... annoying!
  • My reason for recommending the RCA cable connection was to provide a secure ground connection between the TV and the soundbar. Digital optical connections don't have a very good physical ground, it's all plastic.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    The rumble can happen watching anything on cable/satellite TV. I experience it at times and it seems to be related to the broadcast signal and or the volume being too low. Did you try decreasing the bass from the remote? Don't notice it when playing DVD's or Netflix or when the volume is higher.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • kthomsen
    kthomsen Posts: 29
    edited December 2017
    @heiney9 > It is correct that when I crank up the volume, so it is extremely loud, then there's no problems. I've tried to turn the bass all the way down! Didn't help! But... Aren't you supposed to be able to watch a movie (or TV in general) with a normal volume level, without the subwoofer sounding like it's about to drown?? I mean.. Even when the volume is very loud, it still makes that annoying rumbling sound whenever people are talking in the movie. Just the bass in their voice is "enough" to make it rumble!
  • kthomsen, I totally agree! Covering the problem with higher volume is not a solution. I returned my second unit and decided to pay more and go with Bose. I don’t regret it a bit!
  • @robbg62 I might try and do the same. It sucks!
  • mtech71
    mtech71 Posts: 2
    Hi,

Sorry for refreshing the old post but my problem exactly fits the previous description and it's 2019 already...
    Bought my Magnifi Mini 3 days ago and I would like to know if there is any solution? I can hear that popping, scratching rumble during dialogues which makes watching movies quite frustrating. My ticket is already waiting in EU support queue but no response so far probably due to Easter holidays.
    Is the problem related to firmware (I am on version 33 currently) or should I expect subwoofer replacement?
  • kthomsen
    I got a new subwoofer, but the problem is the same! I think it's just something you have to accept. The Magnifi Mini is only supposed to be used in a situation where you want the sound to be so damn loud that you can't be in a normal sized living room! If you use it as normal people would do on an everyday basis, then you'll just have to accept the rumble.. after 3-4 months, you'll stop noticing it!

Alternatively, you can return it! I would do that now, if I had the choice! :)
  • mtech71
    mtech71 Posts: 2
    Thanks for quick reply. I must admit, those are not exactly the words I would like to hear after spending days searching for the right system. Returning it is not the best solution really as I don't have enough space in the room for any regular size soundbar. Anyway...I will wait for support to respond and see what to do next. Would be nice to hear an explanation from someone from Polk as this is rather unexpected flaw...

• kthomsen
    Please share what they said, whenever you get an answer! :)
  • Mine does it too, and it is really annoying. Sounds like main signal is bleeding into the sub. It's like a rattle/buzz/distortion in synch with the dialog. If Polk has no answers I will return.
  • Waxdoll wrote: »
    Mine does it too, and it is really annoying. Sounds like main signal is bleeding into the sub. It's like a rattle/buzz/distortion in synch with the dialog. If Polk has no answers I will return.

They don't. Unfortunately it seems like they dont really give a damn.. must be "a feature" to them.
  • Based on the disconnection issue too it sounds like the magnifi mini sub is a catastrophe from an engineering perspective. Given that they haven't updated the firmware in so long I'm guessing they have given up on it?
  • Based on the disconnection issue too it sounds like the magnifi mini sub is a catastrophe from an engineering perspective. Given that they haven't updated the firmware in so long I'm guessing they have given up on it?

I think so, yeah! It sucks!
  • Any update on this? I just received my Magnifi Mini and in my small apartment I need to turn the bass all the way down, and the rumbling is really annoying. I had to unplug the subwoofer for now...
  • I started playing in the living room via steam remote play on my notebook.
    Sitting between wireless router -> polk -> notebook. Thats when the rumbling from the subwoofer started. Noticed the rumbling starts immediately when i connect to a session. For me the solution was to explicitly connect to the 2,4GHz wireless and the rumble disappeared.
    If this helps someone please leave a comment to confirm the problem and help others!
  • This Soundbar and subwoofer is not recommendable.. i regret that I bought it. It was a waste of money. Often I just use the built-in speakers in my TV.

And I would recommend anyone to stay away from Polk. They seem to care very little about the problems their devices have, and their customers. The service is worse than anything I’ve experienced.. I really wish I could have returned this speaker but it was too late.

So yeah.. extremely disappointed!
  • I strongly disagree with kthomsen regarding quality of sound. Haven't had an experience with the support yet, but i definitly didn't regret buying the magnifi mini 3 or 4 years ago.
    Bought it after listening to it at a friend for many hours. Everyone who listened to this tiny system agrees that it sounds great. Its miles ahead of every tiny low quality speaker built in TVs.

Do you still have your polk? Did you try do disable your 5 GHz at home and checked if the rumble disappeared?
  • polk41144 wrote: »
    I strongly disagree with kthomsen regarding quality of sound. Haven't had an experience with the support yet, but i definitly didn't regret buying the magnifi mini 3 or 4 years ago.

The first one i had literally sent electricity through my body when i unplugged the power cable from the subwoofer (and no, it was not plugged in the wall of course).. so i returnere that unit and got a new one.

Both subwoofers had the problem.
    polk41144 wrote: »
    Bought it after listening to it at a friend for many hours. Everyone who listened to this tiny system agrees that it sounds great. Its miles ahead of every tiny low quality speaker built in TVs.

When the Volume is ABOVE “casual TV watching level”, its fine. I mean.. that’s how they sold it to me in the store. Cranked the volume all the way up, threw on some awesome high quality movie on the TV and it was great!

But when I want to watch TV without feeling like I’m a cinema, the subwoofer is just horrible. The main unit itself is fine (except a problem staying connected. Once every couple of days I have to unplug the power and plug it back in again, for it to work.

polk41144 wrote: »
    Do you still have your polk? Did you try do disable your 5 GHz at home and checked if the rumble disappeared?

Yes, I do. Unfortunately a sound bar is not in my budget these days, so it’s still here. And disabling 5GHz is not a solution. I’m not gonna disable 5GHz wifi in my home, and reduce my internet experience throughout my home, with Ubiquiti mesh networking, just to be able to avoid rumbling from a Subwoofer. That’s like buying a new car, and then being asked if the factory-made scratches goes away if I just wrap it in vinyl.
  • kthomsen wrote: »

The first one i had literally sent electricity through my body when i unplugged the power cable from the subwoofer (and no, it was not plugged in the wall of course).. so i returnere that unit and got a new one.

Both subwoofers had the problem.
    Also not on my or my friends unit. Looks like you got really lucky.
    kthomsen wrote: »
    ...But when I want to watch TV without feeling like I’m a cinema, the subwoofer is just horrible. The main unit itself is fine (except a problem staying connected. Once every couple of days I have to unplug the power and plug it back in again, for it to work.
    On most weekends i'm staying up till late night or early morning and i'm VERY sensitive regarding volume. Therefore the shock was big that i suddenly had that rumble when watching at night. Thought my unit just broke since i never had that problem in my old flat.
    kthomsen wrote: »
    Yes, I do. Unfortunately a sound bar is not in my budget these days, so it’s still here. And disabling 5GHz is not a solution. I’m not gonna disable 5GHz wifi in my home, and reduce my internet experience throughout my home, with Ubiquiti mesh networking, just to be able to avoid rumbling from a Subwoofer. That’s like buying a new car, and then being asked if the factory-made scratches goes away if I just wrap it in vinyl.
    Disabling 5GHz completely is not a solution, i'm with you. But your comparison is not great. It's like complaining afterwards that you cannot make calls over 2G near your computer speakers without interfering them. Also i couldn't know how skilled you are, so just for confirming this problem, disabling 5GHz would be the easiest task for the average joe.

I did some further tests... iperf3 between a LAN client and notebook, as before, Wireless router - right behind polk - ~2m in front of the notebook.
    2,4GH/z - no rumble - did not dig further.
    5GH/z (Default) - With no traffic, no rumble. Listened to 20 seconds of a specific song with nearly continuous bass - as soon as i start iperf3 the rumble begins, didn't even had to go on the lowest volume.
    Looks like the collision detection on my Zyxel DX310, as well as on your Ubiquiti equipment doesn't detect a collision and therefore never switches channels.
    Auto Channel Setting always choose channel 100 and stayed there even though there was clearly a connection problem noticeable.
    So i set it manual to channel 60 and retried. (first one i randomly picked worked, so i didn't try more)
    Again, same 20 seconds of the song. lo and behold no rumble!
    Switched gradually to the lowest volume of the polk and absolutely no rumble appeared.
    Never worked with ubiquiti before, but there should be plenty of settings available for channel management.
    Invest a few minutes and you will be happy with your polk again ;)
  • Has this been resolved in a way that isn't ridiculous? My subwoofer is doing the same thing and it's the end of 2022.
  • seizer8 wrote: »
    Has this been resolved in a way that isn't ridiculous? My subwoofer is doing the same thing and it's the end of 2022.

I think the only solution is to buy something else… I’m never gonna buy Polk again. Quality is ****. Service is even worse.
  • spgrinch
    spgrinch Posts: 1
    edited May 2023
    I hope this helps someone. The intermittent rumblings that sounds like a blown subwoofer. Here’s what I did, and that issue is gone. I think it is a loose solder joint.

Set the subwoofer rear up 15 degrees. That it, sound disappeared for me. I rest the end of my subwoofer on the edge of my baseboard for an example. I also moved my sw to a corner

Agree that this is a design flaw, I’ll never buy Polk again. Fwiw ever since I found the “work around” sound quality has been excellent. I’ve had this for about 4 years and dealt with the intermittent rumbling for about 3 of them.