Schmutz/residue on LSiM 703 tweeter

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,557
I purchased my 703s directly from Polk and I immediately noticed that one of the ring tweeters had some white schmutz or residue on it in the valley/channel of the ring.

The other speaker's tweeter didn't have this. I tried very gently wiping it with a soft microfiber towel, and it would not come off, so I stopped trying. I think it might be something from the white cloth bag that the speaker ships in, as I noticed that it was touching the tweeter when I unboxed it. So maybe the speaker was packaged when the tweeter was still sticky for some reason and then it got some of the fibers of the white bag stuck to it?

Or maybe just the fact that it was in contact with it through the shipping process and being exposed to various temperature changes caused it. Or perhaps I just got "unlucky" and they came like this from the factory - if you look closely on the second photo of speaker A, you can see that there's also some residue on the soft rubber trim that surrounds the tweeter.

Anyway, not a huge deal as it doesn't seem to be affecting the audio reproduction, but just figured I'd show it alongside the other one and see what everything thinks.

Speaker "A" schmutz:
6z55twfdplca.jpg
kmfomuxkzity.jpg

Speaker "B" normal:
hesgl4axbgq8.jpg
aw8bmm0mruhy.jpg

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I think you need to consult someone who speaks Yiddish. :p
  • Clipdat
    Oy! Mashugana!
    Viking64 wrote: »

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Try a firm paint brush to remove it.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Clipdat
    Thanks, I'll try this but it seems fairly stuck on there.

Do you know if the sound is actually coming from the black rings/waves, or if it's coming from behind it?
    WLDock wrote: »
    Try a firm paint brush to remove it.

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Maybe some Windex on a q tip?
  • Clipdat
    Is that safe for that material of the tweeter? Didn't want to put anything wet on the tweeter.
    Maybe some Windex on a q tip?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    It's safe.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    If a brush won't get it then a damp Q-Tip as stated would be fine. Even better would be one of those foam eyeshadow brushes. I grew up with Mom and two Sisters now I have a Wife and Daughter. Some of their makeup tools are handy for projects.

1aaaa-16.JPG
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2017
    I haven't done anything yet, I'm just super tentative to try to use any sort of liquid or exert any pressure on the rings of the tweeter.

After paying this much for these I'm just a bit gun-shy. I actually emailed Polk CS about this and sent the same pics just to see what they have to say.

Worst case scenario I just keep the grills on and forget it's there?
    If a brush won't get it then a damp Q-Tip as stated would be fine. Even better would be one of those foam eyeshadow brushes. I grew up with Mom and two Sisters now I have a Wife and Daughter. Some of their makeup tools are handy for projects.

1aaaa-16.JPG

• WLDock
    Yes, by all means...if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then just leave them alone. In most cases there is not a major risk if one is careful however you don't want to be the one to damage a new set of speakers.

See what Polk says and if they won't replace it then just try to ignore it. The truth is, many dome tweeters collect dust anyway if you leave the grills off. So at some point they need to be blown or suctioned off. Else they will look just like yours or worst!
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2018
    I've not yet heard anything back from Polk CS regarding this, I sent them the email on 12/26.
    See what Polk says

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    FWIW the rubber surrounds on my 705 towers were cleaned (gently) with Windex and a soft cloth as has been mentioned just prior to my purchasing them and have suffered no ill effects. I do understand your hesitance to try it, don't get me wrong, but I've seen it mentioned here many times as the "go to" solution for white schmutz.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Clipdat
    I understand for the surrounds, but I'm hesitant to put any cleaning liquid on (what I'm presuming to be) the delicate tweeter material that actually makes the high frequency sounds.
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    FWIW the rubber surrounds on my 705 towers were cleaned (gently) with Windex and a soft cloth as has been mentioned just prior to my purchasing them and have suffered no ill effects. I do understand your hesitance to try it, don't get me wrong, but I've seen it mentioned here many times as the "go to" solution for white schmutz.

• F1nut
    It's not as delicate as you think. Try the Windex.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    One thing I'm still unclear on, does the sound actually originate from the black material with the two rings/ridges/waves, or does it come from what appears to be a copper colored drive unit behind it?
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's not as delicate as you think. Try the Windex.

• F1nut
    Both

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Viking64 wrote: »

You are confusing that with chicken fat.
  • Clipdat
    I emailed them again on 1/17 and never heard back, so I just emailed them today for a third time regarding this.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I've not yet heard anything back from Polk CS regarding this, I sent them the email on 12/26.
    See what Polk says

• F1nut
    Try calling.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    I could try calling, good point.

But they could also try replying to an email sent nearly 3 months ago.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Try calling.

• Clipdat
    Go on...
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The last time I saw sticky stuff on my tweeter...well, nevermind.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Go on....
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Schmutz on the ol' tweeter eh.....Was Russ in your area recently ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I never kiss and tell....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Clipdat
    Finally got a response from Polk CS to my inquiry about this that I sent on December 26th! It only took them ~2 months to reply!

"Response By Email (Tom C.) (03/05/2018 06:39 AM)
    Hello Drew,

That is nothing I have seen before. I am not sure what could have caused it. If you have any questions or concerns you can give us a call at 1-800-377-7655 so we can get you the assistance you require.

Tom Carter
    Customer Service Technician

11500 Cronridge Dr
    Suite 110
    Owings Mills, MD 21117
    www.soundunited.com"
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I never kiss and tell....

Who's yer buddy?..... ;)