Banana connector question

I've got Martin Logan ESL's and the binding posts are really not conducive to using 'normal' banana connectors. I'm currently using Audioquest BFA's and the shaft only sinks in about 1/4th of the way. Does anyone know of a banana connector with a shorter than normal shaft length?
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    You could trim those down or use spades. I have personally never seen shorter banana plugs
  • I doubt you need a shorter banana plug. From a couple of photos I found on line of the binding posts, like the ones on your speakers that have locking bananas inserted, it looks like they seat down all the way. It may be the BFA style bananas are just very tight fitting. Stick a tooth pick in there and see how deep they are. Anyway, a good locking banana plug like the Furutech FP-202 should seat down all the way, then you can lock it into place. The plug part of these bananas that goes into the binding post is right at 14mm long. Hope this helps.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited December 2017
    I'm seriously looking into those Furutech FP-202's. BTW, i tried a generic non-BFA banana plug I had lying around into the binding posts and it does seem to insert a little further.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Is it just an aesthetic issue with them sticking out? I believe as long as there's metal on metal contact than you shouldn't have any issues with signal transmission.
  • dragon1952
    Yeah, that's definitely an issue. It really bugs me :^ /
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I'm not familiar with the ML's, and you've probably already checked, but I know some binding posts have caps or plugs on them that cannot easily be seen and have to be removed before using bananas. Rule out the obvious first.
  • It's more than just an aesthetic issue. If it does not go all the way in, it's a lot more easy to bend the plug. The weight of some cables, or sideward force can bend copper banana plugs, so it's best to have them inserted all the way.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    ....so it's best to have them inserted all the way.

That's what I keep telling the wife.... :p:p

If your OCD about it, have them reterminated. If not, leave well enough alone. Or...use it as an excuse to buy new speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dragon1952
    tonyb wrote: »

If your OCD about it, have them reterminated. If not, leave well enough alone. Or...use it as an excuse to buy new speakers.

Actually I used it as an excuse to buy new bananas :^ ) I ordered some of those Furutech FP-202's that were suggested.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2017
    dragon1952 wrote: »

Actually I used it as an excuse to buy new bananas :^ ) I ordered some of those Furutech FP-202's that were suggested.

Cool, but I think you could have gotten more mileage out of the issue with the other half. ;) In audio, ya never let a good crisis go to waste. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dragon1952

Cool, but I think you could have gotten more mileage out of the issue with the other half. ;) In audio, ya never let a good crisis go to waste. lol

Ha ha...yeah but I already pulled that one on her re: my new Furman Elite PFi power line conditioner. In our other house, which we had built, I had a dedicated circuit and 4 audio quality outlets for my gear. This new house just had 2 outlets where I wanted my gear so I told her I had no choice. Besides, I really like my speakers.
  • Hope those FP-202's work well for you. Next time you want t order something, let me know so I can give you your 10% club polk discount :)
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Doug is good people.....rock on!
  • dragon1952
    Hope those FP-202's work well for you. Next time you want t order something, let me know so I can give you your 10% club polk discount :)
    I'll probably be ordering 2 more pair of these for the amp side at some point. So what type of gear are you talking about?

• dragon1952 wrote: »
    Hope those FP-202's work well for you. Next time you want t order something, let me know so I can give you your 10% club polk discount :)
    I'll probably be ordering 2 more pair of these for the amp side at some point. So what type of gear are you talking about?

Just PM me or send me an email when you are ready. We give Club Polk members a 10% discount on most everything on our website, unless it's already on sale.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

• dragon1952
    Oh...you're THAT Doug! Sorry, I've been out of touch on this site for quite a while. Actually, I did order the FP-202's from your site :^ )
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited December 2017
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Oh...you're THAT Doug! Sorry, I've been out of touch on this site for quite a while. Actually, I did order the FP-202's from your site :^ )
    I figured that was you that ordered the 2 pair of FP-202 G bananas. Thank you for your order. Like I said before, make sure to contact me before you order anything else online so I can give you your Club Polk discount. :)
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

• dragon1952
    Okie dokie.....thanks!
  • dragon1952
    The Furutech FP-202's work superbly ;^ )
  • So how do you like the Furman Elite PFi? I'm very happy with the results mine provides. Did you get the 15 or 20?
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I rewired my Acoustic Zen Satori's with the Furutech FT-212 that Doug's sells and I love them.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • dragon1952
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    So how do you like the Furman Elite PFi? I'm very happy with the results mine provides. Did you get the 15 or 20?

It's the 15. I wasn't able to A/B it or anything as we just moved in this house and I didn't set up my system until the Furman arrived, but the system probably sounds as good or better than the previous house with the dedicated circuit and PS Audio outlets so I'll just go on faith that it's worth the investment.