Tube Preamp - Bottlehead Foreplay with Upgrades -

Options
MrBuhl
MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
edited December 2017 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
In my newly beginning quest to move some hoarder gear, make the Missus a little happier, and frankly, pay for a new purchase without sleeping in the dog house next quarter - I offer up this Bottlehead Foreplay. I'm thinking $175 pickup WDC / NJ area (Dec 22nd - Jan 1st) or $195 shipped CONUS - Polkie price only please. I will include some nice tubes to get you rolling (see what I did there) as well as the stock ones it came with, (which I would not recommend). Also, I have a small swatch of Dynamat Extreme I always intended to put to use on it, but never did, I'll also include that.

I purchased as a stop-gap when I temporarily fried my Dodd MLP and a few others I have tried along the way. I have to say, its a fine and very serviceable tube preamp. It uses cheap and plentiful 12Au7's (a pair) and responds well to rolling in my experience. It already has several of the most popular upgrades for this particular unit installed including, tube preheat, cap upgrades, and the stepped attenuator upgrade. (C4s, Anticipation, and I can't remember the other). I do have the paperwork on the upgrades, and I think even the original assembly instructions as well.

In the interest of full disclosure, I was planning to change the stepped attenuator to a nice Alps pot somewhere along the way, as changing volume while running a signal results in a scratchy burst of sound between steps that I just didn't dig. Other than that, this is a surprisingly good unit and punches WAY above it's weight. For photos and my initial thoughts - here is my intro piece on the forum:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/171091/stupid-is-as-stupid-does-a-little-bottlehead-foreplay-dodd#latest
VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Post edited by MrBuhl on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I'm a bit stumped, no takers yet for an entry into tubes....at this price ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm a bit stumped, no takers yet for an entry into tubes....at this price ?

No Schiit!
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Is your Dodd MLP still as listed in your sig ("on the bench" w/Charlie)? I'm going to contact Charlie Cocci after the holidays. Is that who is working on your pre? Thanks!
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    Options
    So if I have a dac it would have to out of the dac to this unit and then to my amp?
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    Thanks all - if you can pickup, I'll throw in a free set of Monitor 4's - in the original boxes, (non-Peerless), I don't have photos, because I've never used them! (used to me, not the original owner)
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Options
    Is your Dodd MLP still as listed in your sig ("on the bench" w/Charlie)? I'm going to contact Charlie Cocci after the holidays. Is that who is working on your pre? Thanks!

Yes, still with Charlie, FWIW, I've found that he actually doesn't like working on Gary's stuff... at all. Since he made me the MFA I haven't been pushing things, because I'm not in a hurry, but I have just started the conversations again to get it going.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• tonyb
    edited December 2017
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Thanks all - if you can pickup, I'll throw in a free set of Monitor 4's - in the original boxes, (non-Peerless), I don't have photos, because I've never used them! (used to me, not the original owner)

Wow, even better deal. Throw in an 8 by 10 glossy of Russ and Ivan making out at the last Polkfest and you'll get some takers. :D

Seriously guys, this is a good way to get into tubes for not a lot of scratch.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    What tubes are you shipping with it?

Hey skip, i have the original Soviet ones that came with it, I liked RCA Cleartops, so I'll include a set of those, and I'm thinking a set of 5814a's which are also nice, as I recall they are also RCA's, but don't quote me. Who know's maybe more!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Good lord almighty!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Throw in an 8 by 10 glossy of Russ and Ivan making out at the last Polkfest and you'll get some takers. :D

Shakes head and BARF's

Oh nevermind...........

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I've met Ivan. Russ must've been drunk because Ivan is surely not Russ's type. The car doesn't tilt to one side when Ivan gets in.

Thanks Skipper's......... I think ;)
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2017
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »

Yes, still with Charlie, FWIW, I've found that he actually doesn't like working on Gary's stuff... at all. Since he made me the MFA I haven't been pushing things, because I'm not in a hurry, but I have just started the conversations again to get it going.

Good to know (since he's touted as the "go to guy" for Gary's designs). I will most likely just gut my MLP and build a grounded grid circuit in the case. Thanks!

Sorry for the detour....

Yeah, someone should grab this quick.
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    Yea, maybe I caught him on a couple bad days, YMMV, but it was not my impression he enjoyed being the go to, despite the fact that is exactly how i found him to LOL.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
  • tonyb
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I'm sexy....

Yeah well...fat Ba stard thought he was sexy too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Look up, Tony......at least one person here "agrees" with my statement.
  • mwk455
    mwk455 Posts: 219
    Options
    Is this still for sale?
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    Yes, thanks, this is still for sale.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I'm sexy....

After she drinks how many beers and whatnot? :)

Beers take to long to have the required effect. Russ gives me shots of pure NC Mountain moonshine to speed up the process of removing their inhibitions.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm sexy....

Beers take to long to have the required effect. Russ gives me shots of pure NC Mountain moonshine to speed up the process of removing their inhibitions.

Freudian slip?
    Dude...Dan...TMI bro...TEE EMM EYE

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • jazznut
    Options
    If still available, interested. Can pickup in Washington D.C. area right after Xmas.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I'm sexy....

Freudian slip?
    Dude...Dan...TMI bro...TEE EMM EYE
    StupidiPhone corrective spelling....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Went with the Schiit Saga ;)
    halo wrote: »

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Schiit Saga
    I ate at Taco Bell once and afterwards, I had a schi....nevermind. :o
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Oops
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    Transaction pending on this little gem.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    So glad. I have been quite tempted, but have a Quickie that is still burning in after upgrades and an Eastern Electric Minimax pre that I need to listen to more. Glad it is moving on to a new home.
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    Back on the hot list - available if you're in need of a budget entry into toob sounds at a surprisingly high quality level.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    SRSLY? Gang, these are not toys (even bone stock) -- don't make me buy this.

:)