David Gilmour Live at Pompeii: now available on Blu-ray

2»

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Mine shows up on the 17th looking forward to seeing this.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Uilleann wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea what you mean about "correct speed" The video is a direct 1:1 of the live event, presented with a standard frame rate. It isn't an old VHS with a dying roller motor... Honestly just rather confused by your statement there...

(Edited to add: on second look, I believe you were referencing the original recording with Pink Floyd, and not the latest Bluray which this thread was about. Sorry for the confusion if that's the case.)

Correct, @Uilleann. I was referring to the Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii as having been mastered at the wrong speed (too fast). Adrian Maben needs to re-do the speed (for a Blu-Ray).

That said, it looks like my copy of Gilmour: Live at Pompeii will show up today via UPS as it was sent "next day". I am looking forward to this one.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    tratliff wrote: »
    I wanted to show the group a lithograph that I picked up from the David Gilmour site on the first day these items went on sale.

I just received it last week as it was released on the same day as the albums. Its a limited numbered copy. I got number 190 out of 200.

I placed it in a floating frame.

b3u6lwqrhdqg.jpg

Had a great time hanging out with Told & Jessica in Skip's upper room listening to Halen Speakers and playing some Van Morrison! Always enjoying our talks B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    4bcwmazwwppz.jpg

Mine arrived today plan on watching this in a bit and the best thing the wife will be watching it with me as she also enjoys anything related to Floyd. To the OP thanks for the heads up.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Just finished watching this. I cranked it up pretty good and my ears are ringing a bit....lol

This is a must have.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    I don't know I saw this on PBS the other nite and was not impressed at all, Maybe it was just PBS but to me Gimour looked really really old and tired and was having a hard time performing the set, Maybe I should have just listened and not watched, I'll have to wait until I can just get my ears only on it but I don't think it will change anything. Bummer :disappointed:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Uilleann
    Uilleann Posts: 159
    Well, he IS almost *72* years old!! And of course his voice in his 70's will never sound like his 20 year old self. Though I felt his guitar work to be as sharp as ever. I don't even know if I'll be alive at his age - let alone returning to play after 40 years to ancient coliseums filled with thousands and thousands of fans, and putting on that level of performance.

I know the PBS showing was heavily edited, and if you caught it over the air/cable/satellite, the stream would also be heavily compressed. The Blu-ray experience, on a quality OLED (or Plasma...those perfect blacks are amazing!!) screen, with full surround is hands down the best Floyd (or any component thereof) has looked or sounded in their history. If only today's technology existed back in the 70's eh?!

Some perspective here...and full credit where it really is due! ;)
    AVR: Denon X3200W
    Mains: Polk TSx440T
    Center: Polk CS10
    Surround: Polk TSi300
    Sub: Polk PSW110
    Video: LG OLED65B6P Panel
    BDP: Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray player
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    I was comparing this concert to the last one I have "David Gilmour Remember That Night" Recorded live at the Royal Albert Hall on May 29, 30 and 31st, 2006 in London, England, I know it's been 11 years but the difference was night & day (Think the 60's have caught up with him)

As far as Gilmour's live performances go "PULSE" is the best sound wise, DSOTM except for the female vocals on "The Great Gig in the Sky" (There's no one that can best Clair Tony's vocals) and the crowd noise IMO is better than the original.

P.S. I've always preferred Pink Floyd without Waters.

This is just my opinion so don't flame me for thinking for myself.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Uilleann
    Uilleann Posts: 159
    Visually, the 2016 Pompeii concert was hands down the best, most well produced of the bunch, and the audio feels solid to me as well. RTN was a visual abomination that, even though Bowie's performance brought tears to my eyes, and Crosby and Nash were exceptional, couldn't salvage the production as a whole. Sound was good on both RTN and the Gdansk shows, but I think 2016 Pompeii was even cleaner. I agree that P•U•L•S•E was a powerhouse of a recording, and lament often that it was recorded using such dated (by today's standards) analog video. I can only dream of what that would have looked like in 4K HDR, with hi res audio codecs and full surround!

As for David himself, yes, the difference a decade can have on one's voice (and appearance) can be striking. Frankly, I'm amazed he was still performing at the level he does just last year! I don't begrudge him at all for aging, or that his voice has more gravel, and less range than his younger self. He still solidly hits notes I never could. :) Even Guy Prat isn't what he was vocally during the Division Bell tour. No real reason to fault either of them on this latest performance I believe though. Again, just giving full credit where is is due. :)

As for the seemingly age old debate as to pre/post Waters Floyd...I like them both immensely, and for their own reasons.
    AVR: Denon X3200W
    Mains: Polk TSx440T
    Center: Polk CS10
    Surround: Polk TSi300
    Sub: Polk PSW110
    Video: LG OLED65B6P Panel
    BDP: Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray player