Unreleased Zeppelin Coming

afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• Waiting this long to release, I am sure it is some substandard or rehashed material. I smell a money grab.

Hope I am wrong, but the realist in me says otherwise.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Let is all hope you ARE wrong. The thought of new material has me salivating.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited December 2017
    Waiting this long to release, I am sure it is some substandard or rehashed material. I smell a money grab.

Hope I am wrong, but the realist in me says otherwise.

You obviously don't know Jimmy Page and his passion for the Led Zep legacy. Being around the bootleg circles for the past 35 years I highly doubt it's much studio material that hasn't already been released.

Probably another historic live concert or concerts is what I'm betting on. There are 100's of studio outtakes and studio snippets, but the casual fan wouldn't really be interested in those.

Most all of the video based material that has been in circulation in bootleg circles has been released. The '77 American tour hasn't really been representedcommercially, but then again the band was very sluggish during this tour. They had video screens at most, if not all of the concerts on this tour. I have footage from Seattle and Texas and Cleveland and LA. LA being the best musically, by far, Cleveland being the worst musically for the band.

June LA concerts in 1977 were legendary and if they had releasable video from that part of the tour, that would be awesome!!. The audio from this string of concerts is HOT.

The '73 Germany tour is another highlight.

The 1977 US tour was cut short because of the sudden death of Robert's son Karac in the end of July 1977.
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    I have a bootleg copy of Kevin Shirley's working tapes, essentially a rough multi-track mixdown version of a killer show in Southampton England at the Old Refectory University 1-23-73.

Perhaps that's coming out since they worked on it before they released How The West Was Won.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2017
    Yes, I witnessed the 1977 tour. I saw Zeppelin @ Louisville's Freedom Hall. I am glad I can say I saw them, but the show was a bit of a disappointment. Not bad but, it was like they did not want to be there. Not sure if all shows for 77 were like this though.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • heiney9
    From the bootlegs I've heard, it was a very up and down tour. Page strung out on heroin a lot of the time. Bonzo drinking a lot of the time and Plant not in his best form. That tour is where the term "dinosaurs" as a description of them originated.

They had a string of shows in LA where they just tore it up. The night Linda Lovelace introduced the band, etc. A drunk Keith Moon came up on stage at one of the shows. Ron Wood played a bit with the band. LA was always an energetic scene for LZ, they loved LA and seemed to always put on great shows there.

Sadly, I never got to see them. I would have been 11 in 1977. I had a friend who had tickets to the Chicago show, but of course that part of the tour was cancelled due to the death.
  • Out of the 8, studio, recordings they did, add to that they redid all the albums, with outtakes, and such, theres really nothing more to release, that i know of, unless its bootlegs, and being there my favorite band, ive pretty much heard most of there bootlegs, but, then again who knows what Jimmy, has in the cannon,
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    It's not like it's going to be a unreleased studio recorded song or anything but I'm sure Jimmy has many recordings in his house, safe, bank deposit box, or whatever that many hardcore Zeppelin fans would love to hear.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2017
    I'll take a soundboard recording of "Listen To This Eddie" - Live at the L.A. Forum June 21st, 1977. Yep. That'd be good.

Also, "Live on The Levee" Live in Chicago,January 21st, 1975 (soundboard recording).

Thanks Jimmy, I look forward to them. :D

Also, the XYZ stuff would be good, even though it's not my favorite Page, White, and Squire stuff.

Finally, some Blu-Ray releases of live Zeppelin footage would be excellent too.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • heiney9
    LTTE would be awesome! Full video would be awesome as well. Never was a fan of the early 1975 American Tour, Jimmy had a broken finger and it showed. Had to change up the setlist to accommodate.
  • heiney9
    1973 in Germany is probably when LZ peaked as a Live band. Those string of concerts were blistering and had LZ firing on all cylinders...........outstanding at every turn.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I would like a multi-track of "Achilles Last Stand" so I can isolate all of the guitar overdubs at will.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    heiney9 wrote: »
    1973 in Germany is probably when LZ peaked as a Live band. Those string of concerts were blistering and had LZ firing on all cylinders...........outstanding at every turn.

Have to disagree a bit with that...'69 was probably the most rocking period that group had...Pre II and just after the release...That is when that band was playing to eat..I had the privilege to see them then..I'll never forget how tight they were then..nobody could even come close to touching them live in those days...
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited December 2017
    ENOUGH already!

How many of these remixed, overdubbed, outtakes, boot leg, etc ... copies of Led Zeppelin does one need, Don't get me wrong I'm a fan and have all the studio recordings (1 - CODA) on both vinyl and CD & Celebration Day on DVD/CD (The only live one I Like) I love listening to them.

Have heard tracks from the following.

The Song Remains the Same - Sucked/Money Grab
    BBC Sessions - Sucked/Money Grab
    How the West Was Won - Sucked/Money Grab
    Mothership - Sucked/Money Grab
    Led Zeppelin Boxed Set - Sucked/Money Grab

Will not waste time and or money listening to tracks from the following

Led Zeppelin Remasters - Money Grab
    Led Zeppelin Boxed Set 2 - Money Grab
    The Complete Studio Recordings - Money Grab
    Early Days: Best of Led Zeppelin Volume One - Money Grab
    Latter Days: Best of Led Zeppelin Volume Two - Money Grab
    Early Days and Latter Days - Money Grab
    Definitive Collection - Money Grab
    And lastly the Super Deluxe & Deluxe releases - Big Money Grab

In my experience "Previously Unreleased Material" is nothing than a way to make a boat load of money on stuff that wasn't good enough to make it on an album or just really plain sucked.
    JMO.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Here is my problem Jimmy Page is usually the one doing the mastering, My god man the dudes ears are shot let someone else do it for once maybe just maybe they will come out better.

My .02
  • heiney9
    edited December 2017
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »

Have to disagree a bit with that...'69 was probably the most rocking period that group had...Pre II and just after the release...That is when that band was playing to eat..I had the privilege to see them then..I'll never forget how tight they were then..nobody could even come close to touching them live in those days...

I like 69 as well, but they were new and exploring and while the shows were full of raw energy they weren't quite as polished since they were a new band.

1973 Spring Euro tour you get the raw with the polished and much more mature playing.

1969 has moments of psychedelic delirium, really high energy raw playing and plant screaming like a banshee. The Boston Tea Party in January followed by the Fillmore West dates and right through Dallas Motor Speedway in August of 1969. Truly great, ground breaking concerts.

But for some reason the Germany tour in 1973 equals the intensity, but is somehow more musical overall (does that make sense). Essen, Offenberg and especially Hamburg were positively stellar, stratospheric playing and interplay with each other. There was born the machine and the Hammer of the Gods that was Led Zeppelin.

69 and 73 are a toss up for me. Recently listened to a couple bootlegs from each era and 73 still edges out, especially Hamburg 3-23-73. I agree in 1969 there was no one like them and they were hungry and the playing is really raw.

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2017
    gimpod wrote: »
    ENOUGH already!

How many of these remixed, overdubbed, outtakes, boot leg, etc ... copies of Led Zeppelin does one need, Don't get me wrong I'm a fan and have all the studio recordings (1 - CODA) on both vinyl and CD & Celebration Day on DVD/CD (The only live one I Like) I love listening to them.

Have heard tracks from the following.

BBC Sessions - Sucked/Money Grab
    How the West Was Won - Sucked/Money Grab
    Mothership - Sucked/Money Grab
    Led Zeppelin Boxed Set - Sucked/Money Grab

Will not waste time and or money listening to tracks from the following

Led Zeppelin Remasters - Money Grab
    Led Zeppelin Boxed Set 2 - Money Grab
    The Complete Studio Recordings - Money Grab
    Early Days: Best of Led Zeppelin Volume One - Money Grab
    Latter Days: Best of Led Zeppelin Volume Two - Money Grab
    Early Days and Latter Days - Money Grab
    Definitive Collection - Money Grab

In my experience "Previously Unreleased Material" is nothing than a way to make a boat load of money on stuff that wasn't good enough to make it on an album or just really plain sucked.
    JMO.

For the most part I will agree with you Tony. I'll take exception with two of the portions of your post. They are:

This live CD was excellent with the original mix, and the live shows for (particularly) The Song Remains The Same and The Rain Song. I actually like the original mix and show choice pick of these two songs used on the non-remasted SRTS CD's. The Blu-Ray and CD's of the remastered SRTS discs are crap, IMO. That was a money grab (and maybe what you were referring to). Of that's the case, I agree. Money Grab. The Original mix/master is excellent.

The other disagreement I have is:

The outtakes and rehearsals of some of the Zeppelin songs are pretty darmed good. I like "Sugar Momma". It is not the best Zeppelin Song, but I am glad I have it where it sounds pretty good officially (where before I had "Alternative Coda", a bootleg that I bought 15 years ago).

Also, the early versions of "In The Light" and a number of others are very interesting to hear (with different lyrics).

(I am also I have better sounding versions of these as I had them on bootlegs from years ago and they don't sound anywhere as good as the official releases of them).

I agree with pretty much all your other points, however.

The current remasters by Page are excellent sounding. III sounds about 10 times better than any other version of the album, seriously.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited December 2017
    Looks like the levee is going to break yet again...

My wallet won’t this time around..
  • heiney9