Dreadnaught build question

So after reading like a bazillion posts I've decided to go ahead and get one. Since they don't sell these on eBay and I hate waiting... I'm considering building one myself but I have a few questions:

1. Is the 1000VA one by AL available anywhere?
2. Does it matter if one IC cable is longer than the other ( I'm assuming, like speaker wire, they need to be the same but...)
3. What's the copper looking stuff lining the inside and what is it's function?

Thanks!
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    1) No. You could call them and ask, but they're batch-built only by request. They should have the 800VA transformer on the shelf and that will get you nearly 100% of the way to the 1000VA's performance.

2) Not sure here. Symmetry appeals to my brain (and mine are same-length), but I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't critical. I've heard some say that equal-length speaker cable is not critical, but most go for symmetry.

3) Some put down copper sheeting, as extra (RFI?) insulation. If you put yours in a metal box, I'm fairly certain that the copper is unnecessary. Pretty bling, though!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited December 2017
    Others used Dynamat extreme instead of copper even in a metal enclosure.
    I believe you must minimum order 25 to get the 1000va
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Figures... I can't find reference to the Y236906 on their website any more though they have several 800 VA models. Looks like the Y236905 may be the closest currently available. Thoughts??
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited December 2017
    Y236906 is your huckleberry! Last one on table below.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• MrBuhl
    s8cnu1fwb8oy.png
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    your huckleberry!
    Just......no.
  • MrBuhl
    ^^ oh yea ^^ SCORE!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited December 2017
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Figures... I can't find reference to the Y236906 on their website any more though they have several 800 VA models. Looks like the Y236905 may be the closest currently available. Thoughts??

That wont work, The primary and secondary winding's need to be the same voltages, a 1:1 isolation transformer.

The Y23 236906 transformer is still listed on there site You may have to buy direct.

He's right no one is carrying the Avel Lindberg Y236906 isolation transformer, Parts Express use to but not anymore unless you call and maybe special order it.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I don't think you could ever get the Y236906 anywhere but direct. I know back when I was looking no vendor carried it. It had to be bought from AL.

OP, just call AL direct for the Y236906.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MrBuhl
    ^^ that's exactly how I got mine as well ^^ Direct from A/L

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• audioluvr
    Oh. Some how my eyes wandered right past it. Thanks!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    Does this thing get very hot during operation?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• MrBuhl
    Not at all.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    So after reading like a bazillion posts I've decided to go ahead and get one. Since they don't sell these on eBay and I hate waiting... I'm considering building one myself but I have a few questions:

1. Is the 1000VA one by AL available anywhere?
    2. Does it matter if one IC cable is longer than the other ( I'm assuming, like speaker wire, they need to be the same but...)
    3. What's the copper looking stuff lining the inside and what is it's function?

Thanks!
    1. No, Special order only.
    2. Possibly, but most likely no as long as you're using quality wire.
    3. The case I use, which you probably saw in one of the threads, is Cast Aluminum. Aluminum is great for RF shielding. The Copper adds EMI shielding, which is different. The Copper Foil MUST be separated from the Aluminum by etching primer and several top coats of Enamel. Galvanic corrosion will result if you don't.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited December 2017

A electric signal propagates thru a wire at speeds close to the speed of light. You won't hear a delay in the sound if one cable was miles longer. Increased resistance / capacitance might begin to play a role but in a typical home setup I don't believe it.

But, there is a lot of voodoo when it comes to people hearing things with different cables. But I don't see how anyone can really hear a difference if one cable was a little longer than the other.
  • audioluvr
    What's the copper looking stuff lining the inside and what is it's function?
    The case I use, which you probably saw in one of the threads, is Cast Aluminum. Aluminum is great for RF shielding. The Copper adds EMI shielding, which is different. The Copper Foil MUST be separated from the Aluminum by etching primer and several top coats of Enamel. Galvanic corrosion will result if you don't.

Thanks Dave!

I WAS going to have you build this for me but budget being tight this time of year, i opted to do the build myself and use the savings for better options when I have you rebuild my crossovers.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    One last question (ok, maybe not...) Does the box need to be grounded? I'm assuming yes but thought I'd check anyways
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• gimpod
    One last question (ok, maybe not...) Does the box need to be grounded? I'm assuming yes but thought I'd check anyways

No.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    The transformer winding is asymmetrical. It's not a 1:1 ratio, and even the wire gauge is different primary-to-secondary.

Having the cables on the outside of the box a few feet different in length will make zero difference in the real world.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Schurkey wrote: »
    The transformer winding is asymmetrical. It's not a 1:1 ratio, and even the wire gauge is different primary-to-secondary.

If the winding is asymmetrical it will change the voltage of the signal. Which side gets the higher voltage?

Does that change the sound?

• audioluvr
    Got it! $132 delivered to my door in 2 days! Now just need to build a box and wire it up! I'll post pics when I get going on it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

Having the cables on the outside of the box a few feet different in length will make zero difference in the real world.

It's 115V - 115V.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Does anyone have an opinion as to whether it makes a difference which wires go to which speaker? Blue/gray/violet/brown on one side and black/red/orange/yellow on the other.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion as to whether it makes a difference which wires go to which speaker? Blue/gray/violet/brown on one side and black/red/orange/yellow on the other.

It does not make a difference..
  • Viking64
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    It does not make a difference..

Thank you, Larry. :)
  • gimpod

All Avel Lindberg Y23 Standard Range Toroidal Transformers have 115 + 115 V primaries and the secondary of the Y236906 are 115 + 115 V, That would make it 1:1 would it not.

From DK's The AI-1 Dreadnought Project Pt.1 Even though the pics are gone (Thanks EVIL Photobucket) it is still an informative read.
    A couple of years ago, Matthew Polk provided the following specifications for a toroidal transformer based AI-1:

"1. DC Resistance of primary and secondary should be less than 0.8 ohms and preferably less than 0.5 ohms. The lower the better.

2. Inductance of both primary and secondary should be at least 10mH. Ideal is around 14mH.

3. Current capacity to saturation should be 5 Amps minimum.

4. Of course the turns ratio is 1:1."

@DarqueKnight wired his Y239609 as follows:

The dual primary and secondary winding's were wired in parallel as follows:

Right Pin = Red/Yellow

Right Blade (Negative Speaker Terminal) = Black/Orange

Left Pin = Grey/Brown

Left Blade (Negative Speaker Terminal) = Blue/Violet
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    gimpod wrote: »

All Avel Lindberg Y23 Standard Range Toroidal Transformers have 115 + 115 V primaries and the secondary of the Y236906 are 115 + 115 V, That would make it 1:1 would it not.

From DK's The AI-1 Dreadnought Project Pt.1 Even though the pics are gone (Thanks EVIL Photobucket) it is still an informative read.
    A couple of years ago, Matthew Polk provided the following specifications for a toroidal transformer based AI-1:

"1. DC Resistance of primary and secondary should be less than 0.8 ohms and preferably less than 0.5 ohms. The lower the better.

2. Inductance of both primary and secondary should be at least 10mH. Ideal is around 14mH.

3. Current capacity to saturation should be 5 Amps minimum.

4. Of course the turns ratio is 1:1."

@DarqueKnight wired his Y239609 as follows:

The dual primary and secondary winding's were wired in parallel as follows:

Right Pin = Red/Yellow

Right Blade (Negative Speaker Terminal) = Black/Orange

Left Pin = Grey/Brown

Left Blade (Negative Speaker Terminal) = Blue/Violet

I took his question as wondering which way the dreadnought went when connecting it to the speakers (do these wires go to the left or right speaker) but yes the construction goes as you posted..

Basically once the dreadnought is complete there is no left or right side..

• Viking64
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I took his question as wondering which way the dreadnought went when connecting it to the speakers (do these wires go to the left or right speaker) but yes the construction goes as you posted..

Basically once the dreadnought is complete there is no left or right side..

You are correct. That is what I meant. But actually it was that table that Gimpod posted from DarqueKnight's thread that made me question if there was a difference in the first place. I didn't want my new crossovers and dreadnought being part of a New Years Eve smoke show. :p
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited December 2017
    F1nut wrote: »

It's 115V - 115V.
    gimpod wrote: »
    Nope, in fact it confirms that it's NOT a 1:1 ratio.

Look at the intended purpose. The transformer was built to input 115 volts through the primary, and get 115 volts out the secondary.

That means the Copper and Iron Losses (transformer inefficiency) have to be "recovered" by adding extra length to the secondary windings (more windings) to bring the voltage on the secondary high enough so that you still have 115V after subtracting the losses.

The transformer was never designed to accept voltage on the secondaries, and then pull current from the primary. We do this, but it's not something the transformer was intended to do. WE use it as a symmetrical device, but that wasn't what it was intended for.

So, yeah, the SDA signal should be louder one direction than the other. DK says it doesn't matter in real life. I say it would be better if it was a true symmetrical transformer.

I looked around on the A-L web site, and did not confirm that the secondary windings are a different gauge wire from the primary...but I'm sure that's true, too.
    My point in all this is to say that given the non-symmetrical nature of the transformer, and nobody seems to be able to hear a flaw or defect in the SDA volume, having a few feet more speaker cable attached to one side compared to the other will be of no importance at all.