OLED - Thoughts?

Options
2»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Lg found out the hard way with their Oled technology the same thing Pioneer did with their Kuro's. That was you can't price this stuff so far out of reach for the masses that you don't sell enough of them.

The oled sets were probably building up in inventory, so they lowered prices. Hard to sell a year old TV as new in 2017. I doubt LG will let Sony get the upper hand in pricing though. Expect both to be very competitive.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,038
    Options
    Best Buy has last year's LG 55EG9100 for $899 at some stores!
  • cvernon36
    Options
    Great TV. Best on the market. Nothing can touch LG right now since 2013. They are becoming extremely innovative and making definitions in the market. If I could afford it I would buy it instantly.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Best Buy has last year's LG 55EG9100 for $899 at some stores!
    That's a steal.
  • spock 2054
    Options
    Waitng for OLED to scale to 70 inches at a reasonable price point. Not sure what Dskip meant about plasma not being dependable in an earlier post..
    polk monitor 70's
    center - polk monitor cs2
    surround - polk monitor 60's
    surround back - jbl e10
    sub - velodyne dps 12
    sub - polk psw110
    avr/pre-amp - onkyo tx-nr809
    amp - adcom gfa-5500
    amp - carver av405
    display - sharp lc70le847u
    tv - silicon dust hd homern
    blu-ray - oppo bdp-103
    hd dvd- toshiba hd xa2
    control - logitech harmony one
    turntable - technics sl1500 mkII
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Ahh. I think wait and see with this technology. I am perfectly content with my 60" LG Plasma. The biggest thing that gets me with all of these new sets is the soap opera effect that results from the motion technology. Sure I can turn it off for movies and switch it back for sports, but that's a hassle. The technology needs a large improvement imo. Make me nauseous.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Conradicles
    Options
    What "kinks" Dskip?
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Yes< I feel like it is still a quite developing technology, and not stable yet.
    Performance wise, cost wise or durability wise.
    But do love the picture, judging what we saw in a few stores!
  • Conradicles
    Options
    All TV technology is subject to bad panels. If you have a warranty, why does it matter?
  • Conradicles
    Options
    LED is LCD. Same technology.
  • Conradicles
    Options
    LED LCD is the proper terminology.

Back to the discussion...
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I want something that works great, and lasts a long time. Wasting time with defective equipment is not my idea of fun. It would really have to be a tremendous leap forward for me to gamble on new technology. I bought my previous TV (57" Hitachi RPTV) in November 2004, and it was still working great when I bought my current TV a month or so ago. I felt at this point LED had matured enough to give a great picture, and be reliable.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    Well, based on the one I have, I'd take my chances on another OLED. Watching dark scenes in a darkened room is amazing. Sports are great. Most beautiful picture I've had the pleasure of watching my content on. 6,000+ hours and going strong, so that's one positive data point.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Good point. I am happy to sacrifice a nuance of black level for a movie theater experience with a 75" TV.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Good point. I am happy to sacrifice a nuance of black level for a movie theater experience with a 75" TV.
    I'm limited to 55" in my (cozy) living room. There are some nice 75" LED models out there for prices that were unheard of just 2-3 years ago.
  • tonyb
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    All TV technology is subject to bad panels. If you have a warranty, why does it matter?

Because they all aren't bad out of the shoot. Do you buy a first year remodel of a new car? Same concept - wait until they get them figured out and then get one.

The warranty is usually only good for a year. I would rather take a chance on an LED for the same money than an OLED. The higher end LED tvs are nice and though the OLED gives a better picture, it's not an exponential difference like it used to be with LCD and plasma.

Well, you can opt for the extended warranty garbage for a few hundred more, but you'd have to read the fine print. Still, I'm not accustomed to dropping a few K on anything to only last 4-5 years....even under warranty.

To be fair though, LED/LCD panels have had their share of failures too. I don't think any certain brand has longevity in mind. We can probably equate that to many other consumer products also.

Which is why, I approach electronics with the thought of if your going to make things with built in obsolesce, then I will look for the cheaper end of the scale rather than the more expensive. I don't mind paying a premium for a premium product, but I won't pay a premium for something that will only last a few years. TV's today, good ones anyway, can run more than a new Fridge or Stove....wouldn't you be ticked off if either one only lasted a few years ?

I also wonder if all this energy saving crap is playing into the longevity issues. Everything I've ever owned that was "energy saving", hasn't lasted.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Thread derail. I have lived in my home since July 1990, and the refrigerator came with the house. So I am not sure how old it is. Anyway, when PG&E runs ads for getting rid of inefficient appliances they use my refrigerator as the model. LOL.

Anyway, I am counting on my TV to last 10 years. I will be disappointed if it doesn't. By then there should be something really great to replace it with.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    I bought a lg OLED to replace a 42" Hatachi Plasma, outstanding lg, the plasma is sitting atop my dresser, looking good, the lg is downstairs between the lsi9s, and next to the stock Polk's 2.3's..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 137
    Options
    So the 2017 LG's are introducing HLG, Active HDR and a few more nits of brightness. Was holding out for a 2017 OLED, but if i can find a good price on either a B6 or E6 I may bite on one of those.

On the fence with Sony's OLED. Sure they're going to use LG's OLED panels, but with their own processing I'm sure it'll still be a pretty hefty price.
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • tonyb
    Options
    With audio/video, it's like going fishing. Every year they come out with some new tech that screams to you, "gotta have it". They wave it around like a shiny spooner, as if going fishing. No sooner do you bite that hook, they are already laying the bait for next year.

Give the newer tech time to mature, much the same way you don't buy a new car in the first model year. You'll get the lay of the land then on what is a good product and what isn't. Unless you like finding out at the expense of your wallet, then rock on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    True Skip, also consider the dead pixel issues that plague some LCD/LED screens are usually associated with the lower lines. Many brands obviously use cheaper panels in their cheaper sets. Some are even made or sourced by different manufacturers. I'd much rather buy last years higher end model at a heavy discount than go straight for the cheapest model any brand makes.

Control boards and power supplies....once adding in the cost of the part and repair man....can make them throw aways once again too. You have to weigh the value of something against the cost to repair. You don't spend 2k fixing a car worth 800 bucks, right ? Least I hope most wouldn't.

In todays TV's, I see the money being put into the panels and the processors, everything else is still cheap quality imho even in the higher end sets. I'd be surprised if your TV Skip doesn't experience some kind of failure in the first 4-5 years. A power supply or board will go out. In 5 years, tech will have advanced and that TV will be worth a fraction of what it is today and you'll be faced with a judgement call to stay current and buy a new one or fix the old and cross fingers no other repairs will be needed.

Like I said, paying for a premium product is just fine with me, as long as the darn thing lasts. I have little faith in that though in todays manufacturing climate.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Conradicles
    Options
    Must resist...have a new LG OLED in my cart...65" of beautiful daily viewing. The Sony 900E costs less but... viewing angles are important to me.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Hold out, competition is on its way and prices will start taking a dive.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    4K is close to taking off. Prices are already plummeting.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • LeftCoast
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Hold out, competition is on its way and prices will start taking a dive.

I've been able to resist so far. I'm taking it month by month. Seeing what happens next month with CES.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    New models hit showrooms in March. Large scale dealers will put the higher end units on sale, providing a new model is coming out.

On higher end Sony's, the picture quality starts degrading about 30 degrees, but you need to know what to look at. Still acceptable about 35 degrees off axis. Your average consumer is probably closer to 40 degrees before noticing degradation.

Have to be sitting pretty close to one side of a screen to be 30 degrees off axis on a 65 inch screen.