Apple TV 4K

Options
Hi everyone, exactly a week to Christmas Eve...woohooo! (or not..depending on your own situation) LOL

Anyway, I have searched the threads looking on thoughts on the 4K Apple TV that has been out now for a bit.
I read that it doesn’t do YouTube in 4K but otherwise the reviews seem good.
I have a sizeable blu ray and 4K bluray which I enjoy in the HT.
Most every new blu ray now comes with the digital copy certificate and most of these I load into iTunes so having Apple TV will let me access those titles easily.
I am looking at cutting the cord as well so this is another reason I am looking for an alternative for tv and media viewing.

Is there any feedback on going with Apple TV that I should be aware of good or bad from those of you with experience?

Thanks everyone and Seasons Greetings!
Speakers
Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
AMP - NAD C275BEE
Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein

Comments

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    We love our Apple TV. Works great and has a beautiful picture. The movies we have in our iTunes account are all output in 4K if it is available. I have it wired to the network and it is fast.
    I hadn't noticed if YouTube was or wasn't output in 4k. Looked good to me, iF it isn't that would be a YouTube app issue in my opinion.
    Netflix looks awesome too.

I plan to get one for the MB after the holidays.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    If you're not tied to the Apple ecosystem you should look into the Nvidia Shield TV. I'm not directly saying one is better than the other, just to check it out and read some reviews.

If you are then carry on.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If you're not tied to the Apple ecosystem you should look into the Nvidia Shield TV. I'm not directly saying one is better than the other, just to check it out and read some reviews.

If you are then carry on.

Just picked up a shield, and love it. It replaced an Apple TV which we moved to the bedroom. I believe the shield to be more felxible than the Apple TV.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    First I have heard of the Nvidia shield but it looks pretty good.
    I am likely going to proceed with the Apple 4K system and probably move it around the house or into the master later (as Mikey has done).

I have to design a layout and then finish the basement in new house so the Nvidia looks like it would be a great fit with the HT/large screen tv due to its gaming capabilities.

Mikey, I am interested in hearing more "real world" commentary on the Nvidia Shield so if you have any updates about this and its features that you like or don't like that you can comment that would be helpful to those of us are moving away from cable.

Thanks again guys, anyone else having comments on Apple TV or other alternatives step right in.
    Speakers
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    What do you want to know about the Shield TV? I use mine daily.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Derm
    Options
    I am new to using any of these streamers so I am not sure what I should be really concerned about but I would think user interface items, video quality, etc....in short what you like and don't like about it.
    Also, if you have/had Apple TV how does it compare?
    Speakers
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Apple TV is a little more straightforward/user friendly, The thing just works. The picture quality on both are fantastic, sound quality as well. The shield is an Android box, and can be a learning curve if you aren’t an Android user, but is more flexible in the end, better apps, you can load kodi onto it, which allows lots of streaming options. If you read reviews they would be pretty bang on. The shield works flawless, it also replaced a minix neo x6 and the shield blows it out of the water in every aspect.

I wouldn’t waste my money on another Apple TV, if anything I would get a shield pro and move my regular shield to my bedroom.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    I’ve not tried the nVidia box so I’ll just comment on what I know, the Apple TV.

For someone new to streaming devices AND who already has stuff loaded into iTunes the Apple TV is a no-brainer. I wouldn’t call the apps in the ANDROID ecosystem better, but there are more of them and some are more flexible.

That being said, if the Apple TV has the apps you want (we use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Sling, SiriusXM Radio, Plex for my personal library, and finally all the built in Apple stuff for things like photos and videos) it’s hard to beat. Every app on the Apple TV is the best version of that app I’ve ever used.

The Apple TV also has airplay which allows you to easily screen share from an iOS device or a Mac. It’s also not a bad gaming platform, I don’t use it for that personally since my demands are higher but my wife loves playing games on that thing, she’s got a PS4 which is a better gameing device but doesn’t touch it because the Apple TV is easier.

The 4K version in particular is also very fast, it’s quicker than any other streaming box I’ve used which includes just about all of them besides the nvidia actually.
  • Derm
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thanks to you both for your comments, really appreciated.
    At this point I can see me ending up with both systems.

My wife likes things that just work and do not require much fuss.
    I set up her Bluetooth devices for her and she uses them at will and I hear no complaints as long as everything operates the way it should.

I am going to be finishing the basement in my new home in the next year and I plan on setting this up both for HT as well as adding musical speakers into the setup.
    I can see the Nvidia being a cool option for that part of the house.
    I can see the Apple TV being the option of choice for the master bedroom where the wife likes to watch "her shows" lol.......you know....the kind guys (or at least me) do not want to watch.lol

If anyone else wants to jump in on this topic please do so.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Speakers
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE