RDO-198 vs amp upgrade?

Let's say I have 3 or 4 hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket and I naturally want to upgrade my main stereo setup a little. My setup consists of a B&K Ref 30 pre/pro, B&K Ref 200.2 amp and my 1.2tls that have been recapped but still have oem tweets.

Would I be best off upgrading my 1.2tl tweeters to the RDO-198s or selling off my amp or pre and upgrading one of those? Obviously I would take that $ to put towards the new piece. ( also trying not to hoard gear anymore)

What says the hive??

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,677
    I would say tweeters now, and amp later on.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Tweeters. That B&K 200.2 is still a solid amp.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    I'd upgrade that preamp before your amp as well. I had one of those two channel B&K preamps for a while, it had to go.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    DSkip wrote: »
    Tweeters. If you haven't done crossovers, I'd have that next in line before an amp upgrade.

I redid the crossover with Clarity ESA caps and mills resistors a few months back so I'm good there. Just trying to figure out the best bang for my buck for now I guess....I've upgraded to the RDO 194s in monitor 7 and other SDA's before but have never heard the 198's so wasn't sure if that should be my next step or not...and that's where you all come in ;)
  • Tweeters then a new preamp.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,752
    The Ref 30 I believe is a 7.1 preamp. I was running a similiar setup for quite awhile....but with the Ref 50/ 200.2 combo. Used that with the 2B TL, then the 2.3 TL...its a nice matchup for the TL upgrade along with the complete crossover upgrade.

I would definitely say get the 198's and upgrade the crossovers. Otherwise your just supercharging your corvette with the same worn out, cupped tires.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    tweeters
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Ok, looks like an overwhelming vote for tweeters already so that will be the first thing on the list for now.

I seen a couple comments about a pre upgrade next. I really do enjoy the sound from this B&K pre/pro compared to the Rotel Rc-1070 i had before, not to mention the flexibilty with the built in dac. I know a few people on here speak highly of them but what would be a step in the "upgrade" direction from a pre with a similar sound signature?