Hum and general SQ issues transferring vinyl to hard drive

2»

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 18,044
    So I separated the cartridge from the arm and found the ground wire on the bottom of the headshell had separated from the washer it was soldered to. Problem solved.

Sounds so good I am questioning why I want to transfer them anyway.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,711

Perfect sound forever! ;)

(Glad you sussed out your issue)

"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,538
    So I separated the cartridge from the arm and found the ground wire on the bottom of the headshell had separated from the washer it was soldered to. Problem solved.

Very nice to hear pun intended. At least you know it's not a bigger problem.

• What could be used to shield the tonearm from the amp?

I'm glad you found the source of the hum.

I used mu metal sheets to shield my Pass Labs XP-25 phono stage from the power amp 13 inches below it.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/163098/revisiting-magnetic-shielding-for-the-pass-labs-xp-25-phono-preamp

"So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
2»