Hum and general SQ issues transferring vinyl to hard drive

2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    So I separated the cartridge from the arm and found the ground wire on the bottom of the headshell had separated from the washer it was soldered to. Problem solved.

Sounds so good I am questioning why I want to transfer them anyway.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922

Perfect sound forever! ;)

(Glad you sussed out your issue)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    So I separated the cartridge from the arm and found the ground wire on the bottom of the headshell had separated from the washer it was soldered to. Problem solved.

Very nice to hear pun intended. At least you know it's not a bigger problem.

• What could be used to shield the tonearm from the amp?

I'm glad you found the source of the hum.

I used mu metal sheets to shield my Pass Labs XP-25 phono stage from the power amp 13 inches below it.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/163098/revisiting-magnetic-shielding-for-the-pass-labs-xp-25-phono-preamp

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!