Magnifi Sound Bar no sound from TV Optical

Hi,

I have the Magnifi sound bar, which was working fine with a Samsung 7000 series HD tv. On that TV, Samsung used a breakout box for the optical out. After disabling the TV speakers I got sound from all HDMI inputs on the soundbar.

I just got a new Samsung 8550 HD tv, which has a direct Optical out. I do not get any sound from the Magnifi on any source. Blueray player, Cable One Tivo box, tablet via HDMI. The optical out does light up, and the cable shows a red light transmitting. Is anyone aware of any incompatibilities? I changed the TIVO audio output from Dolby Digital (which worked fine on the 7000 series) to PCM, but there's still no audio.

Sound works from the TV speakers when set to that, but as soon as I change the TV setting to External speakers I get no sound.

TV link: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55HU8550-55-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B00ID2HI8O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417706679&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+uhd8550

One that that *could* affect it, the optical cable feels the slightest bit loose on the sound bar side. It didn't seem to cause an issue on the 7000 tv, but if the connection is not completely snug could that lose the audio? I haven't had a chance to get a new cable to try it with yet.

My other question is this, am I going to lose any quality if I just use the Auxiliary input on the sound bar? I also haven't tested that to see if it works, but if it does I'd consider that a temporary workaround.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thank you,

Comments

• Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. What happens if you directly connect the Blueray player, using the same digital cable to the bar?
    Regards, Ken
  • Sorry for the delay, just got a chance to play with it again.

It appears to be something wrong with the soundbar itself. I can hook the optical from the tv directly into an old AV receiver and it plays fine. Hooking up the blueray player or the tv to the Magnifi optical results in no sound. I haven't had a chance to try the regular audio connector. Is there some way to reset the unit? It responds normally to the remote, and powers off an on just fine.
  • And I answered my own question. I completely unplugged the unit from the wall for a minute, after plugging it back in I had to hit the power button a couple of times, but then it came on and I had my optical audio back.

Thanks for the support. :)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Glad it worked out for ya!
  • Can a Polk 4000 subwoofer be hooked to a Polk magnifi sound bar
  • ULTRASILC
    ULTRASILC Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    Hello, I have the same problem... my husband was playing music on lg tv and the sound when out.... I check optical line- it was red on the end, indicating that there is power from the tv. romote work..... no sound.... we also re-sync and unplugged for several minutes...
    still does not work......this device has not been moved or mounted. Device is in guest room....and used very little... purchased in February 2017

Does warranty cover the Magnifi one
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Sorry there's a problem. First thing tomorrow give Polk a call at: 1-800-377-7655 select option1, have the serial number when you call.
  • Hey ken. Does any of these problems ever get fixed.

There are numerous with the same problem with the 4000.

Polk told me yesterday they have no answer.

Any help.
  • ULTRASILC wrote: »
    Hello, I have the same problem... my husband was playing music on lg tv and the sound when out.... I check optical line- it was red on the end, indicating that there is power from the tv. romote work..... no sound.... we also re-sync and unplugged for several minutes...
    still does not work......this device has not been moved or mounted. Device is in guest room....and used very little... purchased in February 2017

Does warranty cover the Magnifi one

Any luck fixing this problem
  • I had the same problem with my Polk soundbar. I popped the rubber caps off of the ends of the Optical cable, now they snap into place and work perfect. Love the audio on my Polk, this interface was a pita.