RDO-194 RDO-198 router guide

Options
I am upgrading my monitor 10A's from SL1000's kto rdo-194-1's-- I was told there might be a router guide posted on the forum somewhere but I am having trouble locating it, does anyone have a copy?

Thanks!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    If you are asking about a schematic they are in the Vintage Speaker section.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Options
    Scroll towards the bottom of the page. I believe this is what you're referring to.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/172032/building-a-pair-of-polk-monitor-10s/p9
  • heartattackcity
    heartattackcity Posts: 8
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So I was unable to find the sort of router guide I was looking for, so I made one.

In general, updating from the sl-1000 to the rdo-194 in my Polk Monitor 10A was a little more involved than I thought it would be, in case someone else is thinking about doing this I thought I would spell out some of the issues below--

-the sl-1000 is smaller than the rdo-194 and the recess needs to be enlarged for the rdo-194 to sit properly in the cabinet. I laser cut a thin plywood template, based on the profile of the rdo-194 + 1/32" on all sides for tolerance. The router bit I used had no offset between the bearing and the cutting edge. (I used the Yonico 14176q Template Trim Hinge Mortising Router Bit 3/4" Wide x 1/4" High 1/4" Shank) This was my first time using a router, and it worked very well. I set the depth of the router just a hair deeper than the existing recess to make sure the entire surface was even. If anyone is interested in the CAD drawing of the profile, let me know. Or if anyone needs my router template, as I will probably have no need for it again.

-the mounting hole pattern is different on the sl-1000 than on the rdo-194, so if you have already installed hurricane nuts, removing them is a bit of a pain. I threaded a machine screw into the hurricane nut so that the head of the screw was protruding out of the front of the cabinet and tapped it with a hammer until it came loose. I did get a bit of chip out on the inside of the cabinet in a few locations, but not significant enough that it created any problems installing the new hurricane nuts. Existing holes needed to be patched with epoxy and new holes redrilled for the rdo-194. Drilling the new holes is not as precise as it would be as it was going through some filler, not just particle board.

-the rdo-194 does not ship with foam gaskets. I think the intention is to reuse the ones from the sl-2000? for which the rdo-194 is the drop-in replacement. I handcut some out of spare packing foam I had around, as I was worried any of the gasket tape I had was too thick. I used a few small daps of Alene's tacky glue to hold the foam in place while installing the tweeter.

Otherwise, all went well.

I've had these 10A's for a while, last year I re-veneered them with some flat sawn maple.

mdpdrs18hgca.jpg
    ceokgcfkjo52.jpg
    cb1cu5nvopgt.jpg
    cdiwhf77pbxf.jpg
    qmizq3sg4p7e.jpg
    fj387no77aw8.jpg
    l9mbsk0tbfjq.jpg
    2dkgcclhd2wq.jpg
    Post edited by heartattackcity on
  • TNTsTunes
    Options
    Looks good. I like the Maple you used.

Are you going to recess the drivers and passive radiator like Polk did on the later models? I know the later models also utilize all 8 passive mounting points for better sealing also.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• heartattackcity
    Options
    @TNTsTunes that's an interesting thought about recessing all the drivers--especially if I was going to expose them without the grilles. I probably will not risk it--if the recess was not perfectly aligned I'd have to remove and replace all those existing hurricane nuts.

I may add 4 more points of connection on the passive radiators, however. I noticed those extra holes in the basket.

Thanks.
  • F1nut
    Options
    It should be pointed out that the RDO194 is not a replacement for the SL1000. It was designed to replace the SL2000 and SL2500 only. There is no proper replacement for the SL1000.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I thought the 194 replaces the sl1000 with slight modification to the opening and direct drop in on the sl2000. The 198 is for the 2500 and 3000?
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • F1nut
    Options
    I stand corrected, the RDO194 is the replacement for the SL2000 only.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I stand corrected, the RDO194 is the replacement for the SL2000 only.

I don't know Jesse. Between my SDA1 signatures with SL1000's tweeters and SDA1a with SL2000 tweeters IIRC there is no difference in the XO parts. So other than cut out and size difference i do not see why they are not interchangeable.

• F1nut
    Options
    The SL1000 is Polk's version of the Peerless. The RDO194 is not a replacement for the Peerless and therefore not the SL1000.

In addition, I cannot recall any info from Polk stating that the RDO194 was designed for anything other than the SL2000 replacement.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options

President of Club Polk