Moving large speakers with spikes

I have spikes on my 1Cs. Every once in a while I need to move them. The blade on my hand truck is about 14 inches wide. The spikes are about 15 inches apart. Currently I walk the speakers on to a thin piece of plywood and then slide the blade under the plywood. I really don’t like the idea of putting al the weight on one spike when walking them. Any ideas, tricks or suggestion would be appreciated.
HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Bear hug them? That's what I do with my SDA IIs. I'm only 150Lbs and it's not that bad.

Or make yourself a small dolly, then you and a friend use appliance straps to lift and place on it.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    If the blade is 14" wide and the spikes are 15" apart, is there any reason why you can't center the blade between the spikes and tilt the hand truck towards you until the spikes clear the ground? What am I missing here?
  • FestYboy
    If I'm not mistaken, the spike tips are at 15" and if that's the case, the hand truck blade will contact the bevel of the spike and put stress in the wrong direction, potentially bending or otherwise damaging the base.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Viking64 wrote: »
    If the blade is 14" wide and the spikes are 15" apart, is there any reason why you can't center the blade between the spikes and tilt the hand truck towards you until the spikes clear the ground? What am I missing here?

Either that or put the plywood on the blade, tilt the speaker back and slide the hand truck under the speaker, drop the speaker down onto the plywood and wheel away to your heart's content.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    edited December 2017
    Another option is to very carefully lay them flat and temporarily replace the spikes with the original flat bottomed feet with felt pads stuck to them. It's nerve wracking laying a pair of 1.2s down but I was able to do it alone without any problems. With felt pads stuck to to bottom of the original flat bottomed feet this is how I easily slid my spiked 1.2s across the room and back with no damage to the floor.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I'm only 150Lbs and ....

.....bless his little tiny heart.......

• FestYboy
    I'll hug you if you're not careful big boy >:)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Another option is to very carefully lay them flat and temporarily replace the spikes with the original flat bottomed feet with felt pads stuck to them. It's nerve wracking laying a pair of 1.2s down but I was able to do it alone without any problems. With felt pads stuck to to bottom of the original flat bottomed feet this is how I easily slid my spiked 1.2s across the room and back with no damage to the floor.

That’s why I keep a refrigerator dolly in my storage shed. It also comes in hand when I need to reposition them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776

6'3" 215lbs...reach up and hold on tight, scooter!

• Mount those on a couple of pieces of plywood for the spikes to grab a hold of and they should work nice. Just make a slide for each half of the speaker so all you need to do is tilt them some to get each slider board under them.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    lightman1 wrote: »

6'3" 215lbs...reach up and hold on tight, scooter!

Unless you grew your fear the beard back out you're just a tall lady. Lady parts included.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    [quote="nooshinjohn;c-2363960"

That’s why I keep a refrigerator dolly in my storage shed. It also comes in hand when I need to reposition them.[/quote]

Good idea but I didn't want any spike marks in my floor where I was temporarily placing them...........on the long wall where they sounded better just like I thought they would.
  • Viking64
    If I'm not mistaken, the spike tips are at 15" and if that's the case, the hand truck blade will contact the bevel of the spike and put stress in the wrong direction, potentially bending or otherwise damaging the base.

So, in other words, if the spikes are 15" on center and they have a radius of more than 1/2", a diameter of more than one inch, or a circumference of more than 3.14 inches, they will contact the blade of the hand truck. Sound logic. :p
  • Viking64
    F1nut wrote: »
    Either that or put the plywood on the blade, tilt the speaker back and slide the hand truck under the speaker, drop the speaker down onto the plywood and wheel away to your heart's content.

This calls for a hoverboard with an SDA upgrade! :D
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2017
    I have a set of round wood drink coasters I put one under each spike. I can slide them all over the carpet. If your floors are hardwood, put felt protectors on the bottom of the coaster.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited December 2017
    Viking64 wrote: »

He could also make a platform out of 2x4 and plywood to go on the tongue of the hand truck. It would help it is something i did. Goes right between the spikes and there is no space between the tongue and the speaker. Fits perfectly under the speaker.
  • I like Festy's 'bear hug' idea but dropping one of these suckers on your foot would be interesting.

With my SRS's i don't have that option. Too damn heavy. I do have a pair of 1A's that are manageable. If i had spikes on those speakers i'd probably get a sheet of polystyrene insulation and set the speakers on that. It's easy to cut, and you can get it in a thickness that will prevent the spikes from driving all the way through to the flooring.

EZ-PZ.
  • First attempt with harbor freight furniture slides was not successful.

8mqsuuzing2w.jpeg
    9brlhipia46a.jpeg
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    how about taking the spikes out?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • ^^Round wooden drink coasters. Work just like the sliders except they won't puncture.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• motorhead43026
    edited December 2017
    Yep2 wrote: »
    ^^Round wooden drink coasters. Work just like the sliders except they won't puncture.

You speaking from experience?

Yes this is what I use, notice the holes from the spikes.

gwarv0e2tohn.jpg

zbnuzisln70h.jpg

These are about 40 years old, but look on Amazon. Rounded edges are required. Here is a set similar to, follow this link.

https://www.amazon.com/Mike-Home-Coaster-Accessories-Beechwood/dp/B0773G5Y4S/ref=sr_1_171?ie=UTF8&qid=1513560093&sr=8-171&keywords=round+wood+drink+coasters

• motorhead43026
    edited December 2017
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Put a Quarter between the wood & spikes cost $2 to move em.

Sure, if you have wood floors. Use the same 4 quarters for the other speaker, costs $1.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I go to work, install an electrical box, pop out slugs....priceless :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a