Gone 2.0

Options
Just moved into an apartment from a townhouse, and I needed to scale down the sound. So, I ditched the M70s, the center, and the 10" sub, and I moved the Monitor 30s from the rear to the front L+R. Still going with receiver power from the Denon 3312CI.

With the M30s on the edges of the entertainment center, they were better than total silence. But, after placing them onto a pair of steel 25" stands, I'd say they sound fairly nice.

Mostly classic jazz and rock here, and the bass as far as cello and kick drums go is good for me. Piano also got a whole lot better with the stands.

But, these are 5.25". And I'm like why not go 6.5" if I'm gonna be 2.0 as long as I'm in an apartment. I'm speculating that 6.5" bookshelves will give me bigger sound without getting too loud.

"Bigger sound" is really the goal here. The M30s don't quite fill the room. Also, they seem A LOT more localized than the M70s.

Since I'm happy with Monitor S II sound, the M40s might give me "bigger sound" and still maintain the same characteristics. But, again those are 5.25". So, I was thinking Signature S20 since those are 6.5". I'd do RTi A3, but I'm worried receiver power won't do them justice.

There's a great review on youtube from tharmabar of the S15 where he makes it seem like they get loud and sound clean even with those 5.25" woofers. It looks like a "professional" set-up with real-time monitoring of power handling and frequency response. To me it looks professional anyway.

I guess the biggest constraint is there will be no outboard power. If there was, I'd probably go with RTiA3. S20 I suppose wouldn't be any easier to power. Maybe the S15 would? Perhaps just the M40s with the dual woofers and better sensitivity would fill the room better?

Thanks in advance.

Denon X7200WA
LSiM 705 703 704c
Denon DP 400
Yamaha CDC 775

Comments

• sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Forgot to add the TSX220B to the list of eligibles. Frankly, I'm really intrigued by the advertised sturdier cabinet and upgraded xovers compared to the monitors.

So, to sum it up, this is how I've absorbed advertised specs & user opinions:

Stepping up from M30s on receiver power:

Monitor 40: bigger sound, but 5.25" woofers maybe a hindrance compared to 6.5"

TSX 220B: Best all-around with its 6.5" woofer and upgraded materials

S15: Better sound quality, but possibly needing more power, and possibly not much bigger sound due to 5.25" woofer

S20: Possibly underpowered with current receiver

RTi A3, A5: Lacking "musicality" of Signatures, therefore non-applicable

Thanks again.

Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Your running 2.0, so your receiver's power will be plenty for any of those speakers. Get the S20's and be happy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    The S20 is the best choice. A bookshelf system with a good subwoofer can sound fantastic.
  • sponger
    Options
    Was not expecting the S20 to be the clear, hands-down winner. But, I'll have to give them a try if adequate power will be a total non-issue. Sub would be nice. I've even thought about 8" being suitable for an apartment. But, I could be 2 rooms away and still hear plenty of the M30s simply playing Dave Matthews at a moderate volume. That makes me nervous. When I put them on steel stands, bass improved dramatically. The cello from Thelonious Monk live stuff sounded real nice. 2.0 is good for me right now in this environment. Again thanks for the feedback.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • sponger
    Options
    Was hoping to demo them, but it turns out neither of the usual haunts has them. Fry's and Best Buy both completely sold out of the S20. If anything, I'll interpret that as high demand resulting from positive word-of-mouth, validating a blind purchase from xyz online retailer.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • sponger
    Options
    Well, I ended up going with the S15, which I picked up today. But, that was largely based on the recommendation of getting the S20. So, it isn't necessarily that I ignored anyone's advice.

Since the S20 was completely sold out everywhere here, I picked up the last pair of S15 in a 50 mile radius as far as I know.

I remembered a review I read of the old LSi 7, which was a 5.25" bookshelf. The reviewer said they went plenty deep for musicality purposes.

So, I figured the S15 might accomplish the same end since they physically appear to resemble the LSi 7 in many ways. They've got that bass port on the back. They're bigger than typical 5.25". They're being marketed as maybe not audiophile but near-audiophile I guess.

I also figured that perhaps in some ways they might be an improvement on the LSi7 since they represent the fruits of more recent R&D.

So far they have not disappointed. They do sound somewhat underpowered, but that's all the more reason why I don't regret skipping the S20. That is, I think they could image better with more power.

But they sound great as it is right now--definitely a phenomenal improvement over the M30s. They played my go-to low freq class jazz track with snappy realism. "You Just Stepped Out of a Dream" by a Wayne Marsh / Lee Konitz duet is the song. That's about as low as I expect speakers to go. "Karys Trance" is another heavy cello track on that album. Again, sounded terrific. Not disappointed at all.

All Dangjo Reinhardt recordings in existence have horrible sound quality. But, it was truly an experience to hear the noise from the master recording sound so pronounced.

No buyer's remorse here. Reviewers for sub-$300 speakers will add "...for the money." With my current set-up, I don't think more money on speakers would've made much of a difference if at all.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited December 2017
    Options
    That Denon has preouts, so if you think adding an external amp will help, give it a shot. I have the same AVR, and as a power source, IMO it's not all that bad on its own. Plus, since you have an apartment now, the volume limits you probably have to live with make standing pat an easier choice. YMMV of course.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    Options
    Thanks for the review on the S15, glad you are liking them so far. Sounds like Polk did a great job on their Signature Series, I will keep that in mind for recommendations that I make.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Glad you like the S15's.

As a S20 owner, I tend to think the balance is better with the S15 anyway. The S20's try too hard to be something that they are not.
  • sponger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It turned out that I had forgotten to recalibrate. It completely slipped my mind that the Audyssey settings still apply in stereo mode unless pure direct is selected.

So, the cuts to the L/R channels had been -6 and -5, respectively. The M30 EQ settings probably weren't helping either.

On top of that, I had forgotten to switch dynamic volume back on. I had turned it off for the 5.1 because it made the center sound weird for reasons I was never able to figure out.

Dyn vol acts like the good old-fashioned loudness button to me. So, I have that switched on now. Also, the db cuts are -3 L/R instead of -6, -5. Also, the calibration set the S15 to large, so they're playing full range off the bat.

They do not sound underpowered at all at this point. Someone in this thread had mentioned that the AVR should be adequate for power. That's when I found an online review that bench tested it at rated power.

Then I started thinking that maybe since it's an AVR amp it's not holding its rated power dynamically or for extended periods of time. I was considering the Onkyo 5010 75x2 stereo amp since it's sort of within my budget I guess. But, the dampening factor of 60 really gave me some reservations.

But, thinking all of that through led me to remember that I needed to recalibrate, and now they sound even better. Again, this thread really put things into perspective for me. Thanks again to all.
    Post edited by sponger on
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    We don't always try to empty people's wallets right away.

But give us time... ;)

Wow I'm finally in the P2K Club, that didn't take too long.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Yes you AVR has enough power for either S15 or S20.

Me I have the S20 in the bedroom with a Marantz SR5010. It has more than enough power for them. I probably play it louder than you can in an apartment and it doesn't struggle at all.

Maybe return the S15 and order a pair of S20 from Amazon.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Why suggest returning a speaker that he is happy with?
  • sponger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm trying to find an in-depth discussion on terylene vs silk vs metal tweeters. So far nothing that really elaborates on the differences. I suppose it's a stiffer material compared to silk. Or maybe it isn't. These are clearly much more detailed speakers than the Monitors that I had gotten accustomed to. But, it's my understanding that differences can't be narrowed down to one factor like tweeters, woofers, etc. This appears to be a completely different speaker from the cabinet to the crossovers, and from the woofer to the tweeter. But, if I didn't know these were terylene, I'd have leaned more towards metal if guessing. During some of the more HD tracks, my ears tell me that I'm auditioning a pair of B&Ws at Magnolia. Then my mind chimes in with a reminder that I'm in my living room sitting across from a pair of Polks.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I have the S15's and I live in an apartment as well. In the bedroom, they are running off a Denon AVR-2113CI & it sounds very good. Just for kicks, I tried them in the main room after selling off all my Dynaudio speakers and thy sound pretty good. They don't have the depth and width on the soundstage but they are easy to listen to and I don't think anyone would be horribly disappointed with the sound quality. I think Polk did a really good job with the Signature Series line. Great value to performance ratio.

Glad you are enjoying them! Thant's the only thing that matters :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • sponger
    Options
    Re: what you're saying about width, I noticed that the off-axis response is somewhat narrow. I could be wrong, but I think that has to do with the crossovers? I remember awhile ago that there was a guy on this forum who was upgrading people's LSi xovers. Since I plan to hold onto these for a while, I think an investment in fine-tuning wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775