Power amp for my SDA SRS?

Hmmm.... How about a classe CA-400?

Comments

• DM2
    DM2 Posts: 20
    Just looking for my next quality component for these beautifull beasts
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Anything but a Crown 20wpc... or you'll never hear the end of it.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    What's the budget? $500, $1000, $2000? ..more?
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Parasound and SDA's are a nice match. The A21 is recommended !
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • DM2
    Hauxon, have not really pinned down a budget yet, what I do know is I will be upgrading a piece at a time, and will stay with it for quite a while. Sure I'd like to stay around $1000 or so, but I will pay for that schwing, if I see it!!!
  • DM2
    Oooo looking at time A21 now......
  • DM2
    Wow, ok. always wanted a parasound anyways... Can find them used for under 2k which is about the max I think I can go. Will have to wait until after the holidays.
  • DM2
    Ok found a parasound hca 2200ii for much less than an m21 any thoughts? Looks to be in good shape, says price is firm at 799.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    As with any older amp might as well figure in the cost of a recap, especially if you're going to keep it a long time.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    edited December 2017
    Beware that your SDA needs a common ground amp and dual mono designs will most likely not have common ground and thus you would have to buy the Polk A1-I unit (that's no longer being made) to be able to use non-common ground amps.

From another thread: "The HCA-3500, HCA-2200 and HCA-2200 MK II are dual mono designs and non-common ground amplifiers. "

And if you can get hold of the A1-I it would reduce the SDA effect.

Most amps are common ground but you need to do some research. I've had a good spell with NAD and use a C 272 (2x150W RMS@8ohm) with my SDA 2B. The current model C 275BEE cost $1200 new I think and the C 272 can be found below $500 used. Maybe you need a bigger amp for the SRS. You could try to find 218 THX or the 208 amps.

You might also look into Chinese amps. There are great amplifiers from companies like CAV-Audio and Vincent, high quality amps at mid-fi prices.

And with 2018 around the corner there must be some class D amps with gobs of power.
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited December 2017
    The AI-1 will not reduce the SDA signal. You could also contact Parasound to see it the negative binding post could be strapped together. IIRC someone here used an hca3500 with SDA's and yes it was dual mono but shared ground or they were able to strap the negative binding post together. Many here made dreadnaught's to use on both common ground and non-common ground architecture amps and it has been confirmed that it's not detrimental to any SDA signal
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Blade/blade or pin/blade SRS?
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • I have an Adcom GFA5802 that will get the job done. They say it's dual mono but all it needs is a wire between the grounds for it to work and be common ground. I have used it with blade/blade and blade/pin models.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• DM2
    Blade blade on mine. Thanks for the input guys, I have some time, in no rush due to $$!
  • DM2
    Wow did not mean for that exclamation mark lol it's late
  • With blade/blade you will need a common ground amp. Many out their to choose from, rock on
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• y_w8
    y_w8 Posts: 13
    Same question - SDA SRS, Blade-Blade. Have looked at vintage amps, but thinking to try something new. Thanks.
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    I am assuming these are stock. You will want an amp with plenty of power that is comfortable at handling loads down to 2 Ohms. This is especially true if you are looking at a recap and new inductors.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Have a look at this amp. I used one of them for a few years with my SDA SRS 1.2s, and I'm now using it with my SDA 1Cs. Plenty of power, great build quality, and sounds great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Perreaux-PMF-3150-mosfet-power-amplifier-300-W/222762652990?hash=item33ddb0553e:g:X1AAAOSwmudaDOuu

PS: No affiliation.

Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The AI-1 or Dreadnought makes the SDA even better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    F1nut wrote: »
    The AI-1 or Dreadnought makes the SDA even better.

True, True if they weren't Blade/blade SDA SRS's. :tongue:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain