Wyred 4 Sound Phono Pre PH1

2»

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited December 2017
    Buy any of our products directly from our website and enjoy a 30 day trial, this is all you see on the front end till you look deeper..

I like W4S, they have always been good guys to talk to, and supporting a small American company i am all for, and I love the gear I own from them, but I feel I am being raped with a 15% restocking fee..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That's outrageous!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited December 2017
    Hear Us
    Buy any of our products directly from our website and enjoy a 30 day trial period, or find a dealer near you.

Yeah, they need a disclaimer annotation symbol that acknowledges the return policy...very misleading
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Very deceptive. It took me awhile to find the return policy buried in the terms & conditions link I posted.
  • Toolfan66
    W4S will not budge on the 15% :/ I told them I will never buy another piece of gear from them nor will I recommend them to anyone, Not that they will care but I vented it to them anyways..

Oh well, time to move on.. B)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    You're playing outside the price range of my sandbox, but if you have some time before the 30 days is up, maybe you'd have some luck selling it for less than a 15% loss?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    DaveHo wrote: »
    You're playing outside the price range of my sandbox, but if you have some time before the 30 days is up, maybe you'd have some luck selling it for less than a 15% loss?

I thought the same thing.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    That sucks...

Sorry to hear that. It’s like some of these companies don’t understand that taking care of your customers essentially builds a free sales force of brand-loyal buyers who recommend your products.

Sound United/Polk is part guilty of that as well.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Sorry to hear the Phono Pre did not work out for you. Even more sorry to hear about the crazy "restocking" fee!

I have been strongly considering W4S amplification in the coming months, I'm now SERIOUSLY reconsidering it!
  • Well I guess I know what room I'm skipping at RMAF next year...
    Hard to take a company seriously when they take advantage of their customers.
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Have you decided what to do? Is the W4S opening up at all?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Toolfan66 wrote: »
    So Wyred 4 Sound is hitting me with a 15% RESTOCKING FEE, That's like $200.00 :'(

As much money as I have spent with them I find it absurd.....

Only 15%?

When I was shopping for DACs in 2015, a MSB Technology "Analog DAC" was under consideration...until the dealer (Sonore) told me there would be a 40% restocking fee if I didn't like it. This was a DAC with a retail price of $12,760.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    there would be a 40% restocking fee if I didn't like it. This was a DAC with a retail price of $12,760.
    That's horrible! I got a similar deal with my ex-wife, although the numbers were considerably higher. :o:'(

Here is a song from one of my Top 5 all-time favorite live albums that explains in more detail. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv9CqO3bwqU
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2017
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    So Wyred 4 Sound is hitting me with a 15% RESTOCKING FEE, That's like $200.00 :'(

As much money as I have spent with them I find it absurd.....

Only 15%?

When I was shopping for DACs in 2015, a MSB Technology "Analog DAC" was under consideration...until the dealer (Sonore) told me there would be a 40% restocking fee if I didn't like it. This was a DAC with a retail price of $12,760.

The difference is they told you, they didn’t tell me anything, they have since added terms and conditions to their 30 day trial on their web page after I complained about it...

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I agree it's a shady and deceptive business practice to have a "30 day trial period" with a restocking fee that's only mentioned way down on the legal page. They should simply say up front that they have a 30 day return period for new products with a 15 percent restocking fee. No misunderstanding that. Like other internet direct retailers they sell on the returned items as B-Stock with a certain percent discount. I can understand their desire to reduce overhead and keep costs "low" and maybe they found they have been burned by people taking advantage but it's pretty easy to find a middle ground with customers and be clear up front.

Their phono preamp is currently on sale for a few days at 18 percent off.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Toolfan, I'm sorry for your experience. But that's their policy to date. Anytime I buy anything internet direct the first thing I review is the return policy and then I confirm it over the phone. The 200 lb Rythmik subwoofers I purchased would have cost me +200 dollars to ship them back to them if I didn't like them. I was considering another purchase from W4S before you bought the phone pre and did easily see (with one click) the restocking fee. That's why I did not purchase it and figured I'd fair better buying used.

Unless you buy from AudioAdvisor or MusicDirect, many ID companies have either a restocking fee or you have to pay for shipping back to the company. I can see why smaller companies do not have 30 day trial periods for all of their products and many ID companies to do not even offer a return policy. Again, I'm sorry for your experience.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • txcoastal1
    I chalk this up to a lesson learned. W4S is a good company, like many other small business' and I get the return policy.

Larry has been a W4S proponent, since I've been on the forum. The wrong is posting a "30 day trial"...misleads w/o an annotation.

Larry probably could have called W4S and asked for a demo unit in good standings, even if he had to wait to demo the pre, and W4S probably would have obliged...pay for shipping, demo the unit, and return....$60-$75 if he didn't like it.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Toolfan66
    Thorton wrote: »
    Toolfan, I'm sorry for your experience. But that's their policy to date. Anytime I buy anything internet direct the first thing I review is the return policy and then I confirm it over the phone. The 200 lb Rythmik subwoofers I purchased would have cost me +200 dollars to ship them back to them if I didn't like them. I was considering another purchase from W4S before you bought the phone pre and did easily see (with one click) the restocking fee. That's why I did not purchase it and figured I'd fair better buying used.

Unless you buy from AudioAdvisor or MusicDirect, many ID companies have either a restocking fee or you have to pay for shipping back to the company. I can see why smaller companies do not have 30 day trial periods for all of their products and many ID companies to do not even offer a return policy. Again, I'm sorry for your experience.

Nothing to be sorry for, I’m over it, live and learn, I still feel their preamp is one of the best out there in its price point, one could do a lot worse, and one could do a lot better on the used market, me, I got tired of swapping gear in and out, so I picked W4S and have been riding that the last few years, I have no regrets...

I asked Jesus to forgive them.. LOL!! :D
  • txcoastal1
    How's <3 Courtney doing Larry??

• Toolfan66
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

She keeps getting better and better, going on 7 months with no rejection (fingers crossed) and they keep bringing down the drugs she has to take. will be an emotional Christmas with us having her but knowing someone out there is doing without a loved one, bitter sweet to say the least..

Thanks for asking..

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Great. Good news. Is there a point where rejection odds reach zero, or is that always a risk?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1

She keeps getting better and better, going on 7 months with no rejection (fingers crossed) and they keep bringing down the drugs she has to take. will be an emotional Christmas with us having her but knowing someone out there is doing without a loved one, bitter sweet to say the least..

Thanks for asking..

Understood, but as Courtney progress' hopefully there is solace in a renewed life and they know their loss was not in vain

Prayers and blessings to theirs and your family Larry... Merry Christmas

• Toolfan66
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Great. Good news. Is there a point where rejection odds reach zero, or is that always a risk?

No, there is always a risk, especially when she gets sick, as her immune system revs up..

Thanks for asking..

Understood, but as Courtney progress' hopefully there is solace in a renewed life and they know their loss was not in vain

Prayers and blessings to theirs and your family Larry... Merry Christmas

Thanks, and merry Christmas to you and yours as well...