New Rack

I finally got around to a new rack. I built the old wooden back in 85.
I bought a VTI BLG503 with an extra shelf. After a temporary setup I was concerned the glass shelving ringing. I knew this might be an issue but I love the way the black glass looks. So I bought some 3/4" thick mdf and made shelving to go under the glass. I sealed the edges, sanded and sanded and painted them black using oil based paint. Now the shelves are dead with no ringing. I also filled the legs with sand and applied green Loctite any loose caps. I added strips of Dynamat to the steel shelf supports.
The results are outstanding both in looks and acoustically!

In addition I bought a new 65" Sony for the family and moved the 60" to the cave.
Check it out!

660dbvqwqbcf.jpg
l9fnt0ea1nh1.jpg
lj21kc8lrmoa.jpg
mp8pr1e6rwus.jpg

sbyqzrj3qqzr.jpg
qvyz53fnm6ub.jpg
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    You know you're in deep when You are Dynamatting shelving. ;) That room looks awesome. I wish i could get my ears in there.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sweet looking ....really nice, congrats.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Maaan, that turned out nice! Looks stout.

I was considering something similar with MDF.
    Can you detail the coating process a bit? Interested to know what you did to seal the edges, and the general process.

Nice job matching the cutouts, too. What did you use for those cuts?
    I disabled signatures.
  • The MDF under the shelves really makes this look substantial, nice!
    Did you bond the MDF to the glass with something?
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Thanks!

I cut the mdf rectangles with a table saw and cutouts with a jig saw using a Bosch T101A0 blade (20tpi).

I then sanded all surfaces with 220 grit.

Next using your finger coat the edges with drywall mud. Then sand the edges with 320 grit. They need to be sanded very smooth!

I used an oil based semi-gloss black paint using a foam roller for smooth surfaces.
    Once dry sand all surfaces again with 320 grit and apply another coat.

This is a far as I needed to go using glass on top. Even with a foam roller designed for smooth surfaces you can still see the roller bumps/grain because the super smooth surface of the mdf shows everything. It looks good without the glass but spraying would be the best way to get a perfect finish if not using glass over the shelves.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• msg
    Very nice! Thanks!
    Inspiring work.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    msg wrote: »
    Very nice! Thanks!
    Inspiring work.

Ditto
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • msg
    Meant to ask, the pads mounted on the rails - are those hard rubber, or something more like Sorbothane?
    I disabled signatures.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I opened this thread thinking someone had plastic surgery and we might get to see pictures. :'(:p

Nice set-up, machone! Is this the one that has the well-thought-out electrical service run to it? I think I can see it behind the rack. :)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Very nice.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Great job on the rack and an equally great job on the room to put it. Kudos to you
  • machone
    Thanks!
    It has been a journey..............
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Awwww...thought this was a boob job thread.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Nice work, your Rack, Gear and Room look Exceptional!
  • Nice Rack Dude!!!
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• machone
    Thanks!
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Very nice! Your hard work paid off.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Fantastic work, taking a nice rack to begin with to a new level...
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Great looking and nice touch on the matted frames. I've yet to see someone dynamat their cables haha.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Nice work!

I've used lead shot in the tubes of VTI racks. Very important to secure end caps as it's not fun if one comes off while moving rack.

I've also used foam pipe insulation that fit tightly in the tubes along with insulating cross braces.

osxc1u3v4cqh.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • machone
    edited January 2018
    We were cleaning up at work I inherited a 1" thick piece of clear acrylic. I cut a couple of retangular pieces on my table saw using the Cardas Golden Ratio as a guide. I sanded the edges with 320 grit and added hemispherical silicone feet. One is under the Quantum Byte and one is under the Mojo power supply.

My system just keeps getting better. Everything matters.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Wow nice rack machone!!! sand works great for filling the legs, i made monitor stands filled with sand, but they got waay to heavy :D . The black glass looks amazing and you found a great solution for the ringing. Really inspiring man.
    What is the thickness of the glass you used?
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Agree, nice job! I'm assuming no alignment issues when putting together as another one of our members experienced?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • machone
    The glass comes with the rack and is 10mm thick.
    The alignment was not "perfect" but settled in perfectly when leveled and assembled with the weight of the sand filled legs, glass shelving and equipment.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4