SDA Wooden End Caps or Re-Veneer Suggestions

13»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2017
    NM.....didn't see his response.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Try calling http://freestatetimbers.com/index.html

If Josh doesn't have it and there's any in the US he'll know.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hello - NB to this forum. Recently picked up a pair of 1C's for cheap but the top caps are shot. Looking to replace them with solid wood. Any ideas as to how they are removed before I start disassembly? Thanks.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    Solid wood is a bad idea as solid wood wants to move, so when it is permanently attached it stands a good chance of cracking and perhaps warping. That's not to mention the ugly end grain. Veneered MDF, like the original, is your friend.

The end caps on your speakers are secured with glue and very large staples. Start on the back edge with a very thin restorer's pry bar. Be very careful.

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Thanks F1nut. I’ll give it a go and let the team know. Btw I appreciate your comments on the many threads in this forum.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Beautiful !!! And, the end grain looks great !!! I read somewhere the end caps on the SRS’s were bolted on. True?
  • verb wrote: »
    Beautiful !!! And, the end grain looks great !!! I read somewhere the end caps on the SRS’s were bolted on. True?

Yes they are bolted on.. and thank you. It was a lot of work for me not being a carpenter. I'm very happy with the way they came out.
  • verb
    Hello everyone. So I started to disassemble my 1C's. Snow day in Michigan. Working from home today. Beginning with the side panels, I was expecting unfinished MDF, but found a very nice wood grain (vinyl) veneer in black !!! Is that right? The veneer is pristine, except for the glue. Is there a way to remove the glue without damaging the veneer?
  • verb
    Sorry everyone this is a duplicate. I posted this on another thread. NB's !!! Side panels removed. 3 of the 4 came off easily, 4th came off in pieces.

1stxyma875gv.jpg
  • F1nut
    Try soaking the glue with denatured alcohol. Lay the speaker on one side, soak a rag with the denatured alcohol, press the rag on the glue for a few minutes. The glue may peel off then.

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Thanks F1nut. I'll give it a try. Another thing I read on the Liquid Nails website is that baby oil would also soften up the glue. This of course is assuming the industrial glue used by Polk is similar. Heat gun (140F) can work, but I'll steer clear of that. Either way, if it does not work out, I'm eyeing some nice zebrawood side panels with black stained endcaps. Not sure what species on the endcaps yet. Traveling this weekend, then plan to hit it next week !!!
  • F1nut
    A heat gun would likely do the trick, but it also has a high probability of causing damage to the vinyl.

President of Club Polk

• verb
    So I gave up on trying to salvage the existing veneer after removing the side panels on my 1C's. I used a very sharp 1.5" wood chisel, which worked very well in removing the glue. It did however ruin the vinyl veneer in several spots. Oh well, back to my original plan to use real wood side panels as others have done. Thanks everyone for your consult and advice.

My journey continues in another thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path#latest
  • F1nut
    Wood side panels with the end caps never looks right.

President of Club Polk

• Can oak caps be lightly sanded and stain on 4th gen 1c's?
  • verb
    JasonCapa wrote: »
    Can oak caps be lightly sanded and stain on 4th gen 1c's?

Sure. Be careful as the veneer is thin. You can even re-veneer if needed. Some folks, including myself, replaced the veneer caps with real wood ones. Lots of discussion on the merits of keeping the original caps vs. real wood replacements. Pro's and cons.

The tougher part is if you decide to remove them prior to refinishing as they are stapled/glued in place.

I have a thread that chronicles my 1C journey. There are many others too.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path/p1