New 1C Purchase Questions

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited December 2017
    audioluvr wrote: »
    SCompRacer, The 1C's have a pin blade interconnect cable. I'm hoping the guy wired them up right as I have no idea they are supposed to be. Currently the pin in one speaker goes to the pin in the other.
    So far...so good.
    All, I have noticed some weird stuff going on with these speakers that may explain poor sound quality.

**When I turn the balance all the way to the right,

On the right speaker:
    I hear full volume on all drivers and bottom tweeter. Quieter sound coming out of the top tweeter.
    Full volume is NOT correct for "all drivers". The Stereo drivers (inside pair) should have full volume. The SDA drivers (outside pair) should have ONLY bass, although they will vibrate like a passive radiator as the stereo drivers move them. If the signal you're feeding them has little bass, those SDA drivers should not be active.

I would expect full tweeter volume from the upper tweeter, restricted HF from the lower tweeter. The schematics hosted on this site show the upper tweeter is the "main" one, with shunting and additional filtering for the lower tweeter--unless the schematic isn't showing the actual placement of the tweeters. At any rate, one loud and one softer is normal.
    On the Left speaker:
    I hear reduced volume on the outer drivers and nothing on the inner drivers and nothing out of either of the tweeters.
    Correct.
    **When I turn the balance all the way to the left,

On the left speaker:
    I hear full volume on all drivers and bottom tweeter. Quieter sound coming out of the top tweeter.
    See above. Bass only from the outer pair, although they'll vibrate in sympathy to the stereo drivers. I'd expect the upper tweeter to be the loudest, although one "loud" tweeter and one with less volume (because of the restricted frequency range) would be correct.
    On the right speaker:
    I hear reduced volume on the outer drivers and nothing on the inner drivers and nothing out of either of the tweeters.
    That's correct.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Ok so I need to build new interconnect cable with just the pins... Copy. Does anyone make gold plated pin terminals? Thanks again for all the help!

do you have the correct pin/blade factory interconnect cable? If not look below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Interconnect-Cable-Polk-Audio-SDA-SRS2-3-Speakers-others-20ft-Gold-New-Read/382305899983?hash=item59033515cf:g:DDMAAOSwR29ZDIPR
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Update. So I found out that my Carver 1.0 is the non common ground one. That is why my speakers sounded lame. I had the left channel inverted via Carver's wiring diagram. I guess these old ones were mainly intended for mono use. If I get the A1 dreadnaught interconnect setup how does that affect sound quality compared to a common ground amp? I am currently running them on a lowly Carver MXR receiver (that apparently everyone here hates) and they sound fantastic! (I don't play my music at ear bleeding levels though).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The Dreadnought will allow you to use any non-common ground amp including mono blocks. The sound is vastly improved using the Dreadnought even with common ground amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Forgive me audioluvr but are you referring to a M1.0t?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Schurkey
    The earliest version of the M1.0 had one channel opposite polarity of the other. This was "corrected" at the output terminals by reversing the color code of the inverted channel.

With typical monophonic bass, the bass notes would draw power from both the + (one channel) and the - (the other channel) power supply. This lessens the load on the power supply. It also makes bridging to mono very, very easy.

Of course, since one channel cannot tie the negative output terminal to ground, these early 1.0s cannot be made common ground.

Later M1.0s did not have the inverted channel, and the output terminals and such was different on the back panel, which is how they're easily identified. Still later (I think) came the M1.0 "T" version which also does not have an inverted channel.
  • verb
    Thanks Schurkey. I had to look at both of my M1.0t's and yes they are the non-inverted ones. Whew !!!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • audioluvr
    I have one of the first 1.0' s made sn#0012XX. These were a much simpler design internally. I'm trying to decide if I should get another amp or go with the dreadnaught setup. My budget (~$400) is about the same either way.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Dreadnought
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • audioluvr
    Well Dreadnought it is! Now if I can maintain the patience to wait for someone to build one for me... On to the DIY upgrades! Got the RDO-194's in and the PR baskets dynomatted so far! Sound great!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    edited January 2018
    Update: Well got all the upgrades done except crossovers. Cabinets sealed, Dynamat, BH5 (Sonic Barrier), batting repositioned, deoxit all connections, magnets glued, RDO 194's, MD weatherstripping, and spikes.

Just got my Carver M1.0 back from a full restoration. Holy crap! Good thing I don't have neighbors! Just turning it up enough for the first set of meters to flicker felt like china was going to vibrate off the wall. Can't imagine why you'd want one of these for each channel. Rolland at Hi-Tech did an amazing job.

I will listen to them until this weekend and then the crossovers are going to DHS. While they are away I will finish the Dreadnaught build. Can't wait to hear what it all does for the system.
    s3x0qebgn1z4.jpeg
    9oc5uoey444n.jpeg
    q2oszm214vg0.jpeg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    Sorry but there is better than the cord caulk. Your gaskets look to be in good shape on the drivers. Armacell pipe tape works wonderfully and is less likely to strip screw holes or pull off part of the front baffle. Drivers come out much easier with the armacell.
    It can be sourced from Home Depot.
  • Schurkey
    The "cord weatherstripping" (around here, it's referred to as "Mortite" as that is one brand name of the stuff, Dennis is another brand name, and it's also generically called "rope caulk") will be a mistake.

The stuff works GREAT for sealing drivers to the cabinet. And then at some point you need to remove the drivers, and it's near impossible to pry them back out of the cabinet. And then you get to clean-up the mess all that smeared and crushed caulk makes before you can re-assemble the drivers back into the cabinet.

Just use gaskets on the drivers. Leave the rope caulk for other applications.
  • audioluvr
    edited January 2018
    Too late. I rolled it out to a fine bead to prevent excess from squishing out. I almost never drive speakers hard. Should be fine for as long as I am around
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• F1nut
    Remove it now before it's too late. Very bad choice.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    Oh all right. If you say so. Wasn't really doing anything this weekend anyway
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• verb
    Update: Well got all the upgrades done except crossovers. Cabinets sealed, Dynamat, BH5 (Sonic Barrier), batting repositioned, deoxit all connections, magnets glued, RDO 194's, MD weatherstripping, and spikes.

Just got my Carver M1.0 back from a full restoration. Holy crap! Good thing I don't have neighbors! Just turning it up enough for the first set of meters to flicker felt like china was going to vibrate off the wall. Can't imagine why you'd want one of these for each channel. Rolland at Hi-Tech did an amazing job.

I will listen to them until this weekend and then the crossovers are going to DHS. While they are away I will finish the Dreadnaught build. Can't wait to hear what it all does for the system.
    s3x0qebgn1z4.jpeg

What size did you cut for the BH5??? Thanks!!!
  • audioluvr
    A 4" wide vertical strip behind the drivers starting flush with the bottom driver.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• verb
    A 4" wide vertical strip behind the drivers starting flush with the bottom driver.

Thank you!!! How far did you run it upward? Hard to tell with the pic, but it looks like it is flush with the top of the MW?
  • F1nut
    You want a 3 or 4 inch wide strip directly behind the mid-drivers only.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Dreadnought will allow you to use any non-common ground amp including mono blocks. The sound is vastly improved using the Dreadnought even with common ground amps.
    Guess I need to get off my lazy azz and get to building mine...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    F1nut wrote: »
    Guess I need to get off my lazy azz and get to building mine...

Or sell it to me :p
  • audioluvr
    While still waiting for @westmassguy to build my crossovers I did some more work on my 1C's. Yesterday I built my 800va dreadnaught, built IC cables with Speak-on terminals, rebuild the terminal cups, soldered all connections, coated the back of the Speak-on terminals with liquid tape...

9mwxmjpk7gja.jpg

Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    Suspecting a poor factory seal I resealed the back of the cups with this stuff...

8f0hfev4uitz.jpg

Because I didn't want Jesse to get mad at me for using rope seal...

Then I pulled the RDO194'S to fix the crappy basket design. Being borderline obsessive compulsive ( friends say there's no borderline about it) I felt just putting washers on the backs are not going to do it. So I added rope seal (sorry Jesse) around the magnet and perimeter. This totally dampened it and made the stock gasket much more effective.

iday3h75pkzo.jpeg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Dynamat those backs after adding washers. JAT
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • verb
    Hi @audioluvr you may want to consider sealing the outer corners as well. Based on the pic, their could still be a leak path in those areas!

FYI - I added the washers on my new tweets as well. I re-purposed the original SL2000 gasket however.

I like how you marked the polarity of the terminals. Good idea!
  • verb
    Hey I noticed you put some dynamat on the brace in between the MW's. Never seen that before. Is that recommended?
    ybs4sglla0m1.png
  • F1nut
    Suspecting a poor factory seal I resealed the back of the cups with this stuff...

8f0hfev4uitz.jpg

Because I didn't want Jesse to get mad at me for using rope seal...

Then I pulled the RDO194'S to fix the crappy basket design. Being borderline obsessive compulsive ( friends say there's no borderline about it) I felt just putting washers on the backs are not going to do it. So I added rope seal (sorry Jesse) around the magnet and perimeter. This totally dampened it and made the stock gasket much more effective.

iday3h75pkzo.jpeg

Ugh

President of Club Polk

• verb
    edited February 2018
    If I may be so bold to translate @F1nut (not sure why he's limited to single syllable words today) :smiley:

Ugh = Armacell Foam tape. All the rage these days.
  • verb wrote: »
    If I may be so bold to translate @F1nut (not sure why he's limited to single syllable words today) :smiley:

Ugh = Armacell Foam tape. All the rage these days.

I think he uses the roll of speaker foam they sell at parts express.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."