Help with fried 2.3tl inductor

2»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I think the general consensus is, both boards need more help than just the inductors. If you replace only the inductors and hook it up again, you may endure even more problems. Best to send both crossovers out to someone who has experience with your particular crossovers to be re-done. Couple members here offer this service and their work is fantastic.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited December 2017
    Seeing that board fried makes me :'(

Don't cry. There is a solution. Here's mine. :p

x1h6ofigm0ur.jpg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Sweet XO I have been wanting to try the Duelands

Is that a Trey creation?
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    amb426amb1 wrote: »
    I then got into the 1000kva tranny purchase this year and only had around 10 to 20 hours until this happened. I verified correct wiring on that and all seems well.

Even though you checked the wiring, you can't argue that it isn't suspect since it happened somewhat briefly after this.

How loud were you driving the speakers?

• I agree there's more going on here, Look close he put a jumper at C4 I'll bet he replaced the other silver mica cap with a jumper also. The whole high pass section is suspect check your tweeters. [/quote]

I did replace the silver mica caps that cross the 16 and 8 uf caps in tweeter circuits with jumper wires. Will check the tweeters now and cant remember why I eliminated those mica caps. Everything sounded great especially as I reached the 100 hour mark on the crossovers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You remove the silver mica bypass caps and DO NOT replace them with a jumper. You leave the holes empty.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    The silver mica are no longer needed with better caps as you had. Follow F1nut advise above.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Sweet XO I have been wanting to try the Duelands

Is that a Trey creation?

Why, yes...yes it is. :)
  • F1nut
    gimpod wrote: »
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    I think I found ones that match. 000-1143 or 000-1452 both are .3mH, 22gauge and .550 ohms. Size is the main difference.

Which one is the better choice? I'm thinking 000-1452 based on it's size

The 1.75mh I have is .97 ohms and 20gauge which is just barely within the +/-10% of the 1.07 ohm rating of the original 1.75mh 20 gauge ones. Is that good to go? I think so.

I agree the 000-1452 would be the better choice, ether one will work there both within +\- %1.

The 1.75mH, 0.097 ohms that's close. I would ask @westmassguy what he uses I would not be surprised if he go's larger in mH & DCR then unwinds to spec.
    F1nut wrote: »
    I don't think that's a jumper.

Yes it's a jumper, look at the full sized image

e2adlagtd4o3.jpg

causing a direct (bypassing C3-16uf cap) path through that 0.3mH inductor straight to ground.

I did zoom in and still thought it was a sliver mica, but a melted one. Good call Tony.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    You forgot to take your meds again.

President of Club Polk