Help with fried 2.3tl inductor

Can anyone help identify this inductor. It melted on both my right and left boards. Have schematic but not able to trace which one it is. It solders to "f" and "j" on original polk boards.

Comments

• Forgot the picture
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    edited December 2017
    I guess the real question here is how the heck do you fry both? That would need to be answered before you fry 2 more.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2017
    Looks to me like you've cooked more than just the inductor.

The value is .4mH/22 gauge.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• First you need to figure out why it happened.

According to the Gimpod parts locator the stock inductors are located in the same location on his replacement boards. gimpod.com/partsp23tl.html

I believe that is the .3mh inductor. The Jantzen Audio PN# is 000-1223 is the correct aftermarket replacement/upgrade.

I had to get mine from here https://www.hificollective.co.uk/search/site?title=000-1223

Parts Express used to custom order them but I was told they stopped.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• F1nut wrote: »
    Looks to me like you've cooked more than just the inductor.

The value is .4mH/22 gauge.

I believe the .4mh one is located on the other side of the board by the tweeter and driver output connections.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    That resistor on the opposite side of the board looks to have some burnt markings as well as the cap to the right of the inductor.

Might as well have both crossovers redone....but the obvious question remains, How the heck did that happen ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    tonyb wrote: »
    That resistor on the opposite side of the board looks to have some burnt markings as well as the cap to the right of the inductor.

Might as well have both crossovers redone....but the obvious question remains, How the heck did that happen ?

I seen that as well. My first thought was that maybe it was where he soldered a length of wire extension. Hard to tell on a 4" phone screen.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Can you post a pic of the other side of the circuit boards?

Did you do anything to the internal wiring when rebuilding the crossovers?
  • F1nut
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    First you need to figure out why it happened.

According to the Gimpod parts locator the stock inductors are located in the same location on his replacement boards. gimpod.com/partsp23tl.html

I believe that is the .3mh inductor. The Jantzen Audio PN# is 000-1223 is the correct aftermarket replacement/upgrade.

I had to get mine from here https://www.hificollective.co.uk/search/site?title=000-1223

Yep, you're right. Sorry about that, OP.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I seen that as well. My first thought was that maybe it was where he soldered a length of wire extension. Hard to tell on a 4" phone screen.

Yep....didn't look like heat marks to me from soldering, more so overheating marks from overdriving.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Don't ya love it when someone asks for help and then disappears!?!

President of Club Polk

• Seeing that board fried makes me :'(
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Would a non-common ground amp do that damage?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    Yes, that is a possibility.

President of Club Polk

• "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light

• pitdogg2
    If may be more than non common ground those are sonicaps so one would lean towards another problem. That one sonicap lead looks like it got very hot as well. Something went catastrophic.
  • xschop wrote: »
    Would a non-common ground amp do that damage?

That .3mH inductor is in the tweeter circuit as is the 16uF cap that appears to be damaged. I'm wondering if he was overdriving the amp into clipping long enough to do the damage. It could explain the funky looking resistor also if it replaced the poly switch. Those are the first 3 components in the tweeter circuit. Maybe he should have used the poly switches in it's place or needs to learn some restraint with the volume knob. Hard to say but that's my guess.

ckoa4yucedgt.png

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited December 2017

Wrong part, correct mH 0.3 but the wire gauge is 22 not 21 with a DCR of 0.554 ohms not 0.43 ohm; that's more than the +\- %10 Polk allows. read this forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/138234/inductor-dcr-insanity-for-sdas for the correct inductor values.

I agree there's more going on here, Look close he put a jumper at C4 I'll bet he replaced the other silver mica cap with a jumper also. The whole high pass section is suspect check your tweeters.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • pitdogg2
    I actually seen that but it didn't register as i have not done 2.3tl sda boards.
  • gimpod wrote: »
    Wrong part, correct mH 0.3 but the wire gauge is 22 not 21 with a DCR of 0.554 ohms not 0.43 ohm; that's more than the +\- %10 Polk allows. read this forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/138234/inductor-dcr-insanity-for-sdas for the correct inductor values.

Do you have a part number for the correct one? I got that part number from westmassguy for my 2.3tl crossovers I'm building on your boards.

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    edited December 2017
    gimpod wrote: »

I think I found ones that match. 000-1143 or 000-1452 both are .3mH, 22gauge and .550 ohms. Size is the main difference.

Which one is the better choice? I'm thinking 000-1452 based on it's size

https://hfc-fs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/jantzen-aircore-inductors-list-160716.pdf

The 1.75mh I have is .97 ohms and 20gauge which is just barely within the +/-10% of the 1.07 ohm rating of the original 1.75mh 20 gauge ones. Is that good to go? I think so.

The other two inductors are spot on.
    Post edited by TNTsTunes on

• F1nut
    gimpod wrote: »

I agree there's more going on here, Look close he put a jumper at C4 I'll bet he replaced the other silver mica cap with a jumper also. The whole high pass section is suspect check your tweeters.

I don't think that's a jumper.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I know first hand that a previously triggered polyswitch can make the nastiest tweet screetch even at low levels. Dark Knight posted the ohm values to check them by. Pull em if you got em.

If you hooked up a non common ground amp, that's another story.... and in the spirit of F1...
    That's a great way to fail.

Whatever the case, good luck with the fix.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    I think I found ones that match. 000-1143 or 000-1452 both are .3mH, 22gauge and .550 ohms. Size is the main difference.

Which one is the better choice? I'm thinking 000-1452 based on it's size

The 1.75mh I have is .97 ohms and 20gauge which is just barely within the +/-10% of the 1.07 ohm rating of the original 1.75mh 20 gauge ones. Is that good to go? I think so.

I agree the 000-1452 would be the better choice, ether one will work there both within +\- %1.

The 1.75mH, 0.097 ohms that's close. I would ask @westmassguy what he uses I would not be surprised if he go's larger in mH & DCR then unwinds to spec.
    F1nut wrote: »
    I don't think that's a jumper.

Yes it's a jumper, look at the full sized image

e2adlagtd4o3.jpg

causing a direct (bypassing C3-16uf cap) path through that 0.3mH inductor straight to ground.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • After this type of catastrophic failure on both boards, I wouldn't trust any component on those boards. I wouldn't trust the integrity of the boards either.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • gimpod wrote: »
    I agree the 000-1452 would be the better choice, ether one will work there both within +\- %1.

The 1.75mH, 0.097 ohms that's close. I would ask @westmassguy what he uses I would not be surprised if he go's larger in mH & DCR then unwinds to spec.

Thanks for the info. That 1.75mH inductor part number was recommended by him.

I'll have to get the new inductors ordered. I was going to build my crossovers this weekend, I guess they will have to wait for another month.

I'm glad you caught that incorrect inductor for me before they were built.

• Wow logged in this morning wondering if anyone could identify inductor. Thanks for all the feedback! I can provide more pictures if needed. The reason for failure is my concern as well. The boards were done in 2016 and have been trouble free with over 150 hours on them. The poly switch was removed. I then got into the 1000kva tranny purchase this year and only had around 10 to 20 hours until this happened. I verified correct wiring on that and all seems well. I was driving the system hard which is rare any more and the parasound HCA 2200ii went out. At this point I am going service the amp and replace the inductor. I hope this was either driving too hard or something with the amp.
  • pitdogg2
    Parasound 2200II went out? Can you elaborate a little more? You will need to replace much more than the inductor. Those whole boards are suspect at this point.

Could the amp dumping have caused something like this?

Buy the new bigger boards from westmassguy you will be glad you did.
  • This was back in May and I finally got around to checking things out. I remember the sound going out or down to nothing. My initial thought was the amp went so I placed in a HCA 1200 that was just serviced and the protection circuits came on so I pulled the speakers from service at that time.